Should Star Citizen consider NFT's for raising funds?

Ploeperpengel

Admiral
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
I think this really hits the nail on the head, and gets to the meat in the middle of the concept here. This is how things will be in the future. We can deny, or dissuade each other, fight it, or just accept it. There is not fighting the future tho. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN and so I'm all for it why fight what is coming anyway it's a waste of energy, time, and brainspace. Those are our most valuable and finite resources. This is a great discussion tho!
Not every business model is required to succeed.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Crowdfunding doesn't prevent dick moves, but yeah.
There are dick moves, and there are publisher dick moves.

You can't decry the parts you don't want like forced deadlines, publisher interference in the creative process and budget constraints while retaining the parts you might like, whatever they may be.

It'd be like being a vegetarian for everything but bacon sandwiches. Then you are not a vegetarian. Cast aside all the publisher bullshit except the bits that seem like a money spinner and you have not got rid of the publisher - you have simply replaced them and you are the publisher, and before too long those undesirable things you got rid of the publisher to loose slowly start to look just that little bit more reasonable when it gets another 2% return per quater...

Publisher dick moves. Not even once.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Ubisoft's NFT Terms of Service is a joke and as expected ... Isn't actually an NFT.

They're just going to sell people more expensive buzz word crates with individually numbered "rarity". Bank on it.

• o7

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
They're just going to sell people more expensive buzz word crates with individually numbered "rarity". Bank on it.
But the word "NFT" is not supposed to add or remove any value, its simply means that the market place where the cosmetic item trades is on a blockchain and not their private servers.

Like CSGO, there is already rarity in all these types of cosmetics, its not new.

• o7

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
But the word "NFT" is not supposed to add or remove any value, its simply means that the market place where the cosmetic item trades is on a blockchain and not their private servers.

Like CSGO, there is already rarity in all these types of cosmetics, its not new.
Yes, but under Ubisoft's newly released TOS, they can still use your NFT any way they see fit.
It's "yours" ... just not yours. So basically ... no different than what we have now.

Not worth any additional microtransaction cost, imho.

• o7

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Maybe Im misunderstanding then. What additional microtransaction cost are you referring to?
You don't think they are gonna take the same crates they sell now, add "Blockchain Bro" to their marketing, and charge MORE for the same cosmetics?

Personally ... I believe that's the ONLY reason they are doing this. Cashing in on the crypto hype to sell the same things they've always sold, at a higher cost.

• o7

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
That is just speculation, we have no proof that they are increasing prices of anything.

And no, adding "blockchain" is not a selling feature as we saw by the reaction from the very vocal group of gamers who are against it.

Putting their cosmetics on the blockchain is simply a way for them to offload the future transactions, financial fees and anything database related.

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
That is just speculation, we have no proof that they are increasing prices of anything.

Correct. But I'd argue my opinion is based on historical evidence of the behavior of AAA game studios.
I can't remember the last time something WASN'T profit motivated and done to make investors happy.

That's part of the problem with the quality of current generation games and why so many of us our HERE in the first place, imho.
Put a gun to my head and ask me if I think Ubisoft is going to charge more for these new super special and rare microtransactions ..... the answer is a resounding, yes.

Because they never give us more for less or the same .... very much the opposite over the past 15 years.

• o7

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
And don't get me wrong ... I'm not a "AAA hater".
They still make good and fun games. But a spade is a spade.

And it's pretty obvious the people who run these companies now never wrote a single line of code in their life and only know business.
That's how you get AAA games that get released buggy as hell and stripped down from older versions.
Maybe if you're lucky they put the old content back in with paid DLC ... maybe.

- The poor souls coding their fingers to the bone can never convince the business folks that they need more time.
- The business people will drain every last penny from the consumer that the consumers will allow.

Dem just the facts, and it shows in the final product ... A LOT.

It's part of the love and pride people feel for this project. Finally, a game funded by the people ... for the people ... with GAMEPLAY in mind.
Not rushing a product out the door so you can show increased quarterly profits to your investors before Christmas.

Something different. So different ... it's outright special.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?