Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
Not too bad, I would say about 45W more power for my setup. The fans are about 2.8W a pop (6 per rad for ~17W per rad). Pump is about 18W at full blast. So 52W there. But I never run the fans or pump at full tilt.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
Not too bad, I would say about 45W more power for my setup. The fans are about 2.8W a pop (6 per rad for ~17W per rad). Pump is about 18W at full blast. So 52W there. But I never run the fans or pump at full tilt.
That should be fine with a 650W PSU then.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
Some advice: Most good air coolers will cool better than a cheap water cooler kit like the Corsair H-series.
Maybe, but my Corsair self-contained water coolers are much, much quieter, which is important for streaming and video production work. It's why I made the switch.

I am downright amazed at how quiet the H105 actually runs despite having two 120mm fans up top.

Civil Hypocricy

Rear Admiral
Nov 8, 2014
RSI Handle
Civil_Hypocrisy
Just a question for future build... Would you suggest the i7 4790K or the 17 5820K? I know that they require different RAM and mobo sockets, but how are they for gaming? I'm looking at pairing whichever one I get with 2 970's, if that makes a difference.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Just checking back in here now that I've gotten me GTX 770 installed and worked out. It's running perfectly, like brand new out of the box, and had all of the extras, like PSU cable converters (very important!) Thanks for the card, and I look forward to doing business again!

Jhonon1

Space Marshal
Mar 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Jhon-On
Woah! Just found this beautiful little thread of yours Slumlord (I'm new here, so I haven't exactly had much time to look either...)

Distinctly interested in knowing whatever your stock might be, my computer could use a little extra lovin

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973

Maybe, but my Corsair self-contained water coolers are much, much quieter, which is important for streaming and video production work. It's why I made the switch.

I am downright amazed at how quiet the H105 actually runs despite having two 120mm fans up top.
I know, right, my H100i can be absolutely quiet, if I'm not running SC or anything CPU intensive.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Soon as you have your hands on the r9 300 stuff I expect a strippergram!
Sorry, not dealing with AMD ANYTHING anymore. Long, very tiresome to explain, dead-horse beaten to a bloody pulp story, but as someone who has nearly 2100 systems under his belt, rest assured I've made my decision to severe personal and business ties with their brand as it does not align with ours (or my personal philosophy), with much contemplation and consideration of all known factors.

Now, Titan X's are going to be arriving shortly and can't wait to have some fun with those. I won't have a lot for sale, as I am using all of the initial ones in the OEM systems my company is using them in, but might have one or two extra for a TESTBRO :) We'll see. Nvidia is not exactly leaping at the chance to give us a bunch of them as I horded all the Titans at launch last time and pretty much just refused to sell them to anyone LOL. They were just to hard to find when they launched last time. No one I knew could get one or two and I was sitting on 8-10 of them haha. "Had" to finally start using them in the OEM Game Design Workstations (just branding) after we were begged by a studio that ended up buying 8 Workstations from us. A really good client that makes a big unreal engine game. Didn't want to upset them. Ended up selling one to Austin-RSI too, through amazon. Was pretty neat to see the address on Amazon order form. Been trying to hook then up with more parts but they seem to have their preferences of just using Amazon and etail, and buying complete rigs from Origin, Alienware, Maingear, etc. Someday I'll sell them some workstations though.

Anyway... Sorry for retard-long and grammatical-massacre of a post but on the nexus 6 and don't get a lot of time to check/bump test threads much so here is the news:

I am thinking of doing mini-meet this weekend here in Portland, Oregon. @Wolf @JacknHoffa will be invited for sure. Let me know if you are in the area. Email: [email protected] if you are interested please. Thanks TESTBROs!

Exarkun007

Commander
Dec 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Exarkun007
This wait for skylake is killin me. I know it's going to be new architecture, so I'm holding off on ram/mobo/GPU till then. PSU I should be ok to get now though, got anything around 650w gold? That should handle a single card + system regardless of what the card is, no?

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
This wait for skylake is killin me. I know it's going to be new architecture, so I'm holding off on ram/mobo/GPU till then. PSU I should be ok to get now though, got anything around 650w gold? That should handle a single card + system regardless of what the card is, no?
I would go with a 700w, at least. I started out with a 600w, and thought it would be fine for the upgrade on my system, but no, I was over by about 20w(*according to the psu calculator). So I went with a 750w, now I have room to do further tweaks, if needed.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
A good 650 can run just about any CPU (Minus AMD 9xxx chips) and any single GPU fine.

Reactions: thanatos73

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
A good 650 can run just about any CPU (Minus AMD 9xxx chips) and any single GPU fine.
You just had to rub it in, didn't you....and your right, the 650 will do just fine, I did mention future upgrades though, you never know what's going to happen, so its nice to have the headroom.

Reactions: Annitias

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
just how cheap are those samsung SSD's? I've been wanting to get a decently sized SSD for a while for some of my favorite games, and of course to put star citizen on!

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
just how cheap are those samsung SSD's? I've been wanting to get a decently sized SSD for a while for some of my favorite games, and of course to put star citizen on!
A 250gb 850 Evo can be had for around $120

Halvix

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Halvix
A 250gb 850 Evo can be had for around $120
With the announcement of the new 3D NAND technology I'd expect the prices on current SSD's to be dropping. Maybe not right away, but by the time Star Citizen releases you might get a 500gb SSD for the price you'd pay now for 250gb

Forgot your password?