So, 3.0 live release just bumped to September...

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Have our ships stolen by friends, then make a claim?
Yeah. has been obvious this is a possible meta-gaming exploit from day one. IMHO, we ought to go the hardest road, not the easiest, which is to steal ships for a living without becoming outlaws. That means specializing in Banu, Pirate, The Outsiders and Vanduul ships (and later, Krell). Of these only pirates and The Outsiders regularly fly UEE ships which really are the best. Pirates fly cheap stuff so seems obvious to me where our time ought to be focused. I would be happy to specialize in taking Polarises (Polarii?) from The Outsiders. Just one a month would be enough to keep a dozen players floating in cash.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yeah. has been obvious this is a possible meta-gaming exploit from day one. IMHO, we ought to go the hardest road, not the easiest, which is to steal ships for a living without becoming outlaws. That means specializing in Banu, Pirate, The Outsiders and Vanduul ships (and later, Krell). Of these only pirates and The Outsiders regularly fly UEE ships which really are the best. Pirates fly cheap stuff so seems obvious to me where our time ought to be focused. I would be happy to specialize in taking Polarises (Polarii?) from The Outsiders. Just one a month would be enough to keep a dozen players floating in cash.
I'm with you. I think this will be a truly challenging and fun way to play.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Insurance fraud? Mmmm...

Personally if I were an insurance company I'd do the following:

Firstly, give the victim of the ship theft a Rental. It'd suck. Maybe an Ageis Crapheap or that Consolidated Outlaw Shitbag or maybe even one of those Misc Whatthefucks, you know, the flat one that makes you go WTF? Not a glorious Aurora... Too good for rental...

...Anyway, I'd issue the victim of the 'theft' a rental and place a decent bounty on the thief. Victim gets to keep playing if not a little less gloriously than before, but doesn't get a replacement right away (That'll teach 'em to loose their ship, plus it'll be a buffer on the insurance scam if there is one, can't make a million in credits if it takes a month to get a replacement). Bounty Hunters get something decent to hunt and earn an honest credit off. If the ship is destroyed, the victim gets a base replacement. If the ship is recovered the victim has to pay a percentage of whatever repair bills there are. If the ship is not recovered within a certain timescale, the victim is then awarded a new base craft.

But this is the important bit: a stolen ship is a disadvantage to the thief, because a stolen ship is a ship that can't de-spawn. You go to bed in a Connie and log-off, it de-spawns until you log back in and start off where you finished previously. A stolen ship will HAVE to remain in the 'Verse, or a player could log off, wait a week until the heat had died down and then take it straight to Honest Bobs Used Ship Sales. Also, Bounty Hunters would have a pretty crap time hunting for someone who'd logged off a day and a half ago.

They'd either have to hide the ship every time they logged off with the risk it could be tracked and found, or have an NPC continue to pilot it with all the risks of the NPC being crap and being captured. If the NPC is captured while you are offline, hey accomplice in the bunk bed! Wake up you are now in a jail bunk! Don't drop the soap!

That should make insurance fraud, and stealing player owned ships in general pretty difficult and disadvantageous to those who'd want to. NPC ships - steal as many as you want, you can't do insurance fraud with an NPC.

You read it here first if this gets into the game, SOMEONE CALL CHRIS ROBERTS WE HAVE THE 'BOBFACE SOLUTION. AGAIN.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
But this is the important bit: a stolen ship is a disadvantage to the thief, because a stolen ship is a ship that can't de-spawn. You go to bed in a Connie and log-off, it de-spawns until you log back in and start off where you finished previously. A stolen ship will HAVE to remain in the 'Verse, or a player could log off, wait a week until the heat had died down and then take it straight to Honest Bobs Used Ship Sales. Also, Bounty Hunters would have a pretty crap time hunting for someone who'd logged off a day and a half ago.
If this is your idea, I strongly urge you to find a way to share it with CIG. It is the best solution I have heard thus far, and I have been thinking about this issue for a couple years. Maybe people talk about it in the CIG forums, but I have never heard this suggestion and it is really good.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If this is your idea, I strongly urge you to find a way to share it with CIG. It is the best solution I have heard thus far, and I have been thinking about this issue for a couple years. Maybe people talk about it in the CIG forums, but I have never heard this suggestion and it is really good.
Tthanks very much, it was :slight_smile:

I'll post it to Spectrum in a bit, I always have trouble posting on there because it's still a bit rubbish :slight_smile:

EDIT - Well, it's on the Spectrum in Game Ideas. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Insurance fraud? Mmmm...

Personally if I were an insurance company I'd do the following:

Firstly, give the victim of the ship theft a Rental. It'd suck. Maybe an Ageis Crapheap or that Consolidated Outlaw Shitbag or maybe even one of those Misc Whatthefucks, you know, the flat one that makes you go WTF? Not a glorious Aurora... Too good for rental...

...Anyway, I'd issue the victim of the 'theft' a rental and place a decent bounty on the thief. Victim gets to keep playing if not a little less gloriously than before, but doesn't get a replacement right away (That'll teach 'em to loose their ship, plus it'll be a buffer on the insurance scam if there is one, can't make a million in credits if it takes a month to get a replacement). Bounty Hunters get something decent to hunt and earn an honest credit off. If the ship is destroyed, the victim gets a base replacement. If the ship is recovered the victim has to pay a percentage of whatever repair bills there are. If the ship is not recovered within a certain timescale, the victim is then awarded a new base craft.

They'd either have to hide the ship every time they logged off with the risk it could be tracked and found, or have an NPC continue to pilot it with all the risks of the NPC being crap and being captured. If the NPC is captured while you are offline, hey accomplice in the bunk bed! Wake up you are now in a jail bunk! Don't drop the soap!

That should make insurance fraud, and stealing player owned ships in general pretty difficult and disadvantageous to those who'd want to. NPC ships - steal as many as you want, you can't do insurance fraud with an NPC.

You read it here first if this gets into the game, SOMEONE CALL CHRIS ROBERTS WE HAVE THE 'BOBFACE SOLUTION. AGAIN.
Tthanks very much, it was :slight_smile:

I'll post it to Spectrum in a bit, I always have trouble posting on there because it's still a bit rubbish :slight_smile:

EDIT - Well, it's on the Spectrum in Game Ideas. We'll see how that goes.
Huzzah. Great idea NaffNaff. I'm glad to hear you've planted the seed. And kudos to you Mr @Shadow Reaper, for re-enforcing and urging him to push it higher.

Cheers Lads.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Lets go hunt some Polarriiii
I'll bring hip waders and a couple kegs of beer
Word up home slices. I'm already drunk, so I'll probably just puke in the hip waders and then throw it like a grenade at a Polaris' viewscreen. Blind Drunk Blind Owl just blinded you. Yeaaaaaaaah bitches! Pew pew pew.

Where's my beer?

Forgot your password?