So I had a thought (Mines?)

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Did you ever watch the Cutlass video?

A missile in space basically inactive until someone flew past then it activated and flew towards them. That's how they should work, we are too agile for the stationary mine method.

Magnetic or motion/signature activated yes, hell yes.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
Did you ever watch the Cutlass video?

A missile in space basically inactive until someone flew past then it activated and flew towards them. That's how they should work, we are too agile for the stationary mine method.

Magnetic or motion/signature activated yes, hell yes.
They could be stationary mines if they have a big enough blast radius so you don't have to use a shitload of them. You could just have nuclear mines, that should do it. I'd recommend a multistage hydrogen bomb as the warhead.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
They could be stationary mines if they have a big enough blast radius so you don't have to use a shitload of them. You could just have nuclear mines, that should do it. I'd recommend a multistage hydrogen bomb as the warhead.
That would produce something more than death and matter being ex-pulsed with no real use there after, sure might work for a huge invasion where the only goal is expulsion but there cannot be salvage or recovery or any possible means of usefulness to nearby civilians when a nuke goes off in space, those things expand..... immensely and violently so would be illogical to lay such devices unless in uncharted space which would also be illogical to do so unless you are funnelling the enemy but then again in order to funnel you are depending on their knowledge of the danger of any alternative routes. I am no physicist but I cannot see a useful nuke in space in this game expect for funnelling.

Imagine Trump saying "If anyone traverses the Mexican border you are at risk of detonating a nuke!".

That's about as good as we can get in-game for an advanced space nuke.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
That would produce something more than death and matter being ex-pulsed with no real use there after, sure might work for a huge invasion where the only goal is expulsion but there cannot be salvage or recovery or any possible means of usefulness to nearby civilians when a nuke goes off in space, those things expand..... immensely and violently so would be illogical to lay such devices unless in uncharted space which would also be illogical to do so unless you are funnelling the enemy but then again in order to funnel you are depending on their knowledge of the danger of any alternative routes. I am no physicist but I cannot see a useful nuke in space in this game expect for funnelling.

Imagine Trump saying "If anyone traverses the Mexican border you are at risk of detonating a nuke!".

That's about as good as we can get in-game for an advanced space nuke.
Yeah, an immense and violent expansion is normally called an explosion, and mines are expected to explode when triggered. They'd also have a predictable blast radius give or take some variance, so you can plan accordingly in tactical deployment just like conventional weapons except they'd just have a huge blast radius and a large burst of radiation, though any decent space ship or station should have some way to shield against radiation due to stellar radiation. It's not uncommon to put warning signs around a minefield to keep people out, both friendly and enemy, and would help the mines in their task of area denial, since an enemy wouldn't go that way if they know there's a minefield there. You could place beacons around your minefield to warn people, so it wouldn't matter if it's charted or uncharted space. I could see FOF mines around a jump point as one of the layers of security, since you could contain ships in an area around the jump point and funnel them through a security screening like a customs checkpoint at a border. If someone's trying to invade through the jump point, you'd just evacuate anyone and they'd jump into a box of mines with a bunch of guns and missiles aimed at them, and they'd have to clear a path through the minefield while being shot at. Also, it's decoy mines can be placed with the mines in a minefield to slow down the clearing process, this was commonly done with sea mines since it's hard to tell a decoy from a real mine so they'd have to dispose of the decoys too. I'd say there should be a deactivate or detonation timer on mines so you don't have forgotten or abandoned mines cluttering things up and being a hazard. You'd just have to reset the timers on the mines at some set interval up to like a couple days or week at max depending on what the system could handle.

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
What if instead of being a weapon we could use they added random, pre-existing minefields with much larger ship killing mines, derelict ships and debris from some long forgotten conflict? I'd love to find something crazy like that to explore, maybe finding records on the ships of what happened and such.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What if instead of being a weapon we could use they added random, pre-existing minefields with much larger ship killing mines, derelict ships and debris from some long forgotten conflict? I'd love to find something crazy like that to explore, maybe finding records on the ships of what happened and such.
There was something like this in Freelancer, one of Roberts previous games. I must have blown up thirty times before making it through that thing... I think there was a prison inside the field which contained info I needed...?

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
There was something like this in Freelancer, one of Roberts previous games. I must have blown up thirty times before making it through that thing... I think there was a prison inside the field which contained info I needed...?
That would be a sweet little Easter Egg if they added a hidden sector with a remake of that.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
In fact, the Mark 60 CAPTOR sea mine is basically just a torpedo in a launch tube with sensors that listen for targets and fires at something if it gets a lock on something within range. You could have the same kind of system for mines in Star Citizen
Yes. CIG did a vid more than 2 years ago, with a Lancer on the prowl out in an asteroid field, that activates a spike missile by passing too close, and it comes alive, hunts down and disables the passing Lancer. This is apparently all planned for future gameplay.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
In fact, the Mark 60 CAPTOR sea mine is basically just a torpedo in a launch tube with sensors that listen for targets and fires at something if it gets a lock on something within range. You could have the same kind of system for mines in Star Citizen
Yes. CIG did a vid more than 2 years ago, with a Lancer on the prowl out in an asteroid field, that activates a spike missile by passing too close, and it comes alive, hunts down and disables the passing Lancer. This is apparently all planned for future gameplay.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
Cool, I must have missed that one. I know they've talked about mines years ago in a 10 for the chairman or wingman's hanger or something. I'll have to try and track down that video. Chris has said he's interested in having mines in the game, but they'd have to look at balance and how they would work in the game.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
If they have mines that you can use, they should have abandoned minefields too. That would be just too cool to not have in the game, and would offer a form of high risk/ high reward exploration/salvage if you found a military ship wreck in a minefield and military grade ship or military grade tech or data.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Yeah, I can see that sucking up a ton of memory or bandwidth or some other computer thingy I don't understand.

They'd have to have timers on them for sure. Something so they expire/detonate after x amount of time.
They could just become Persistant items only a certain number is allowed in the world at any time. so when one blows up suddenly a store has a new one in stock. This could lead to new jobs such as mine sweeping and reselling the mines for profit.

TheWoad

ADI Spai
Feb 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Woady McWoadface
Ship agility and the vastness of space are mostly irrelevant. Sure, you can't just litter an asteroid belt with mines (unless you have a lot), but you can't tell me with as sandboxy as this game is, people won't get real creative. Just gotta think outside the (sand)box, boys and girls, like gridfu in Eve Online. clusters of mines at strategic locations protecting a stationary Bengal from boarding action, for starters. Or use a bait ship in an asteroid belt littered with FoF (friend or foe) mines.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
Ship agility and the vastness of space are mostly irrelevant. Sure, you can't just litter an asteroid belt with mines (unless you have a lot), but you can't tell me with as sandboxy as this game is, people won't get real creative. Just gotta think outside the (sand)box, boys and girls, like gridfu in Eve Online. clusters of mines at strategic locations protecting a stationary Bengal from boarding action, for starters. Or use a bait ship in an asteroid belt littered with FoF (friend or foe) mines.
If they're stationary mines, then they could have the same yield as a missile/torpedo and be about at least half the size since about half a missile or torpedo is the fuel and engine. That means they could be small and cheap, and even smaller and cheaper if they have simple fuzes like a magnetic influence mines or the cheapest and simplest of all, contact mines. On the flip side you could have a mine with a small simple trigger, but a larger warhead for the same size mine. If you had a ton of small cheap mines you could cloud an area with small mines that would shred a fighter if it flew through there fast. You could also coat the casing in a material that would absorb or reflect radar for stealth mines.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
They could just become Persistant items only a certain number is allowed in the world at any time. so when one blows up suddenly a store has a new one in stock. This could lead to new jobs such as mine sweeping and reselling the mines for profit.
Hmm, interesting thought process. I like it. It also opens up a whole new can of ship ideas in the minesweeper category . Kudos.

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
The more we discuss this the more I want it. For balance they could all be shot down once detected and targeted, but a dedicated mine-sweeper ship could disable and collect them to be Re-used, Re-sold, or scrapped for some coin. Adding a nice little way to play by literally raiding a minefield, this would probably upset some people who would want to shoot you down for stealing their hard work lol

Forgot your password?