Star Citizen's food and drink mechanics - new datamined info

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I was running through Olisar today when it occurred to me how they could minimize the inconvenience of survival mechanics for me - bacause I have less than zero interest in them (meaning I will forget about them) combined with DOASM it means I'm going to die a lot by accident just because I forget to neck a PowerSauce bar every so often.

So...

Olisar, R&R's even Levski. Most places you land, even the outside of R&R's, have advert boards. Some in places like Grimhex are paper and can't change, but many like in Lorville and ArcCorp are video screens. Some in ArcCorp even call out to you audibly too.

We are 900 years in the future. The big boards may not be suitable as they could have many viewers however the medium to small boards could communicate with your MobiGlas and advertise the the stuff you need to keep in good health. The MobiGlas monitors your vitals so the in-game advertising could tailor to your needs and push what you need to keep you alive, and if you miss that then you would probably starve at a banquet. The Bennies/Pips machines could even make personal recommendations as to which flavor would benefit you most!

There is a bit in the movie Minority Report where the main guy has personalized ads pushed at him via retinal scans:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXJ_obaiYQ

Obviously the down side of that is they have the ability to track him wherever he goes, so he has his eyes swapped later in the film.

The down side of having your Mobi open to personalised ads to remind you not to die of dehydration, is that you'd have it open to all other monitoring so if you were on a sensitive mission or whatever players with the right equipment would be able to spy on what you were up to, so if Twitch had given you something naughty to do and a bounty hunter took a glance with their FactFinder(tm) it could open up some interesting play.

So you turn off the ad function, learn the complexities of the Survival mechanic so you don't need the ads and remember to eat... and look out for the guy not tripping the ads and you may have found someone with something they want kept to themselves...

The large ads at ArcCorp etc or even the small ads places with high footfall will of course have to stay general as there are multiple viewers, but places with low footfall, even the exterior of the R&R's when you com in to land could be tailored to your individual needs...?

Last edited:

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Not sure how accurate this is and I like this guys videos, he says HOURS before starvation? And death? If this is true its a HUGE mistake, if I have to eat and drink every few hours I just dont think that is a mechanic I am looking forward to honestly, the details and micromanaging they are aiming for here is really starting to worry me, I mean they cant even get SQ42 under wraps and were talking about a survival system like this? I am beginning to wonder if CIG actually wants to finish the game at this point or if they just plan on it being in Alpha indefinitely lmao.

View: https://youtu.be/ytI8wfBovzA

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Maybe it might be workable if it isn't too complicated. I'm wondering if it might be a good compromise to the people who want the eat/shit survival mechanic and the folks who are leery of it to make the starve to death mechanic a simple yes/no situation instead of anything more involved like SCUM where you have to make sure you get enough potassium/carbs/various vitamins etc. So, has player eaten anything in past X played hours regardless of Player Status Effect? If the answer is yes then the starvation counter would be reset. Whether you eat a 4 course meal or a candy bar you aren't at risk of dying again for X number of played hours. The people who want the mechanic would get another thing that they have to remember to do and it would be easy enough to avoid death for the rest of us.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Maybe it might be workable if it isn't too complicated. I'm wondering if it might be a good compromise to the people who want the eat/shit survival mechanic and the folks who are leery of it to make the starve to death mechanic a simple yes/no situation instead of anything more involved like SCUM where you have to make sure you get enough potassium/carbs/various vitamins etc. So, has player eaten anything in past X played hours regardless of Player Status Effect? If the answer is yes then the starvation counter would be reset. Whether you eat a 4 course meal or a candy bar you aren't at risk of dying again for X number of played hours. The people who want the mechanic would get another thing that they have to remember to do and it would be easy enough to avoid death for the rest of us.
Or grant that "feature" its own toggle option for players that want this taken to deadly extents, while those that don't get warnings from their mobi glass & then at worst pass out to then pay a reasonable fee to their rescuers.

Forgot your password?