Star Citizen's food and drink mechanics - new datamined info

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
first!

when your body goes into ketogenesis you can go 24 hours or more between meals - you burn fat for energy

so realistic gameplay would allow for that

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
IDK what all the big deal is, if you want to get the benefit of these boosts, then use the system, if not, then you don't & might have to deal with a slight penalty after a while. If they weren't going to have food to eat in the Verse, then they wouldn't add in any toilets either. CR has said all along that he wants SC to have as much immersion as possible.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I am staggeringly uninterested in the eating/drinking/pooping gameplay loop. I just want to shoot things and sell what’s left over for profit.
It's what separates us from the animals! They better have a highly entertaining drunk mechanic / gameplay loop!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I am staggeringly uninterested in the eating/drinking/pooping gameplay loop. I just want to shoot things and sell what’s left over for profit.
It's what separates us from the animals! They better have a highly entertaining drunk mechanic / gameplay loop!
all God's creatures eat, drink and poop

it's the shooting and selling things that separates us from the animals

Last edited:

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Just so long they don't go full granular survival game crazy nuts. We don't need to track every single aspect of nutritional life.

On the other hand, reminds me of something that happened way back in university. Guy in my dorm ate so badly, so much so, he got really sick and ended up in the hospital, with scurvy.
Because of that, we all had to attend a nutritional seminar where the this person stood up at front and held up a cherry tomato claiming this was all you needed to eat, once a day to get enough vitiman c to hold of scurvy. For god's sake, I know you're all in college, but try and eat a fruit or vegetable now and then.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
I love the survival aspects and am glad they have some in this game. It sounds like they are actually making things fairly simple with buff/debuffs and not something needed every few minutes. It also does not sound like it will be something that you can die from not doing, but would make things much more manageable and efficient if you do keep up with it. Part of the reason I am excited for my Corsair is the kitchen =D

All in all I have a feeling it is going to be something that will not have to be done often at all, maybe like every time you need to stop for fuel in something like an exploration ship you grab a granola bar or have your ship stocked up.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
The buff aspects are what I imagined would be the route they would go for food and medicine/science. I would imagine something like cognitive boosting would do something like increase your characters reaction time maybe? For the forced part of it, I guess I could be ok with having to eat and drink something once per day (in-game time only, counting down in real time like with insurance is not the way to go. Being forced to remember to log in every single day so you're character doesn't starve to death like a forgotten tamagotchi does not sound fun). And it will hopefully add a cooking game play loop for all those harvestables you can collect now, I know there will be more than one Testie selling bathtub gin.

invalidData

Commander
Jan 18, 2020
RSI Handle
invalidData
I'm fine with the digestion system if you don't have to mind it all the time. In some games this keeps you busy but that's not what I want from Star Citizen. If you have to drink, eat, pee and poo every 3h of gameplay or less it's ok. I already got some ideas about the posibilities ingame, like food poisoning... but most important:

--- Disclaimer ---
You have to drink at least two space beer before you can take part in any TEST fleet action.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I love it. though I agree with Toys' notion revolving around early and late game, I'm not sure it applies here. I can imagine those specializing in a particular kind of activity keeping ready supplies to boost them at their intended activity, and finding a disadvantage when trying to do something else. I think we'll see this extended mightily with drugs, which will give a bigger boost and a bigger deficit, etc.

Very cool

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
I love it. though I agree with Toys' notion revolving around early and late game, I'm not sure it applies here. I can imagine those specializing in a particular kind of activity keeping ready supplies to boost them at their intended activity, and finding a disadvantage when trying to do something else. I think we'll see this extended mightily with drugs, which will give a bigger boost and a bigger deficit, etc.

Very cool
It will be interesting to see if there are addiction/withdrawal effects with drugs such as widow.

Forgot your password?