Star Marine and 2.6

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Count me in as a meat shield, I'm very very very good at FPS :confused: (which button must I press to duck, never mind, a meat shield doesn't duck)
Cool. From what fps vids I've seen, any small team that operates as a real team will have a huge advantage. Players are not moving as one, not communicating, not using speed to real advantage, not operating like real squads at all. If we can do that, we can rule. I'm pretty good at fps and I think Ripcord expressed an interest as well. I think we already have a bunch of guys who if we train together and work together will be able to dominate both in ship to ship and fps combat.

All your loots now belong to us. Meh heh.

Dawnshie

Commander
Jul 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Dawnshie
I've always been a nut for FPS games and will probably be more of a soldier/engineer than a pilot. I tend to prefer the non-combat flying roles, but don't mind getting dirty in FPS.
hmm. mesa suk at fps. mesa suk at flight mesa make way to many craters. mesa think drinking the fuel wasa bad idea.....

ok ok enough bad puns. im planning on learning to fly with keyboard/mouse. but ill stick with my dur and prospector (when i can get one) and try and help thay way course i still have to figure out if im can be a gunner. any ideas?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Communication is the key to all success, at FPS or as a gunner of a multi crew ship or as a wing of fighters. A lone wolf can do fine, until he meets an organized pack ;)
[EDIT] I'm very good at communicating. very very very good which button must I press to talk??? Never mind, just shoot at the guy chasing the others, or play decoy
We really need some practice with communicating

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .i still have to figure out if im can be a gunner. any ideas?
Best place to start now is probably in the turret of a Star-G or Connie. There ar plenty out there, but to be effective, you have to have good communications with the pilot and he needs to fly specifically so you know what he is going to do and can stay on target. If the pilot does not work with you, you will not be effective. So the real issue is to find a pilot who flies something with manned turrets, and who wants gunners who will work with him to keep his ship safe. If the pilot of a large ship won't work with his turret gunners, he will not last long. Without their turrets, multiplayer ships are just big targets.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Best place to start now is probably in the turret of a Star-G or Connie. There ar plenty out there, but to be effective, you have to have good communications with the pilot and he needs to fly specifically so you know what he is going to do and can stay on target. If the pilot does not work with you, you will not be effective. So the real issue is to find a pilot who flies something with manned turrets, and who wants gunners who will work with him to keep his ship safe. If the pilot of a large ship won't work with his turret gunners, he will not last long. Without their turrets, multiplayer ships are just big targets.
That is the spirit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teamwork:D:D:D:D

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
That is the spirit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teamwork:D:D:D:D
If I were piloting a multi with several gunners, you can bet I would work out the jargon necessary to let them know I was putting the ventral side toward target, rolling to protect shields and letting the guys know who would have a target when. A real team takes great communication and teamwork.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
For my part, I'm looking forward to NPC KI which I can rent for using the turrets. NPC KI doesn't talk or - worst of all - ask; they just shoot. Good enough for me ;)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Cool. From what fps vids I've seen, any small team that operates as a real team will have a huge advantage. Players are not moving as one, not communicating, not using speed to real advantage, not operating like real squads at all. If we can do that, we can rule. I'm pretty good at fps and I think Ripcord expressed an interest as well. I think we already have a bunch of guys who if we train together and work together will be able to dominate both in ship to ship and fps combat.

All your loots now belong to us. Meh heh.
I'll looking forward to practising our small team tactics together. We'll be a freight train if we get our communication and movement down. Not all that hard really. 4 of us working in sync could dominate.

So excited.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
For my part, I'm looking forward to NPC KI which I can rent for using the turrets. NPC KI doesn't talk or - worst of all - ask; they just shoot. Good enough for me ;)
If they shoot as good as they fly, then they can be evaded / tricked, but it surely will be easier / faster to muster your crew.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I think this would be a huge problem save that the game is designed that travel takes very little time. Even if you're hopping through wormhole after wormhole, the time between will be exciting, searching against pirates and so on.
On the larger ships there will be things to do while traveling.

I would think you won't travel in the turret, but instead run for your assigned spot when the Captain signals "Red alert"

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
On the larger ships there will be things to do while traveling.

I would think you won't travel in the turret, but instead run for your assigned spot when the Captain signals "Red alert"
You guys know better than I do, as I haven't been in game yet. So how long do you think it will take to motor across a system from one wormhole to the next? What sorts of travel events will take significant time that you would want to get out of the turret chair? Can't you quantum travel between points of interest inside any system in just a few seconds?

I am all for longish normal travel times so pirates have plenty of opportunity. I was not aware much of that was in game. Much of the privateering work is going to be coaxing ships into situations where they can be ambushed, for example by a Warlock hidden behind an asteroid until the last second. If there aren't many reasons to travel lengthy periods of time in normal space, we will find piracy, privateering and boarding actions in general to be very rare. I know CIG wants boarding to be extremely difficult and was thinking this is part of the reason why--it's hard to find times and places to board ships.

Last edited:

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
So how long do you think it will take to motor across a system from one wormhole to the next? What sorts of travel events will take significant time that you would want to get out of the turret chair? Can't you quantum travel between points of interest inside any system in just a few seconds?
It's a few seconds to go from Crusader to its Moon. But it'll be around 10-15 minutes to cross a system. Longer if you encounter trouble.

Multi-system travel could take hours.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So a system like Leir with 7 wormholes, you can't just quantum travel between, but have to spend significant portions of time? And what is the requirement for quantum travel? Does there need to be a beacon to lock onto or some such?

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?