Steam is allow refund for NMS, No matter how many hours

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Odd how they haven't put out a statement then. Maybe they walked back their refund when it started to explode. Maybe the threshold is higher but not like 20hrs higher
I've played 5 hours

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
Well this is kinda bullshit.

"Message by Support Tech Chuck on Mon, Aug 29 2016 12:37
Thank you for inquiring about a refund for No Man’s Sky. There has been some recent confusion in the community about Steam refunds for this title. Our standard refund policy continues to apply to No Man’s Sky, and playtime continues to matter when refunding the product.

We’ve reviewed your playtime and unfortunately you do not qualify for a refund."
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I am hoping there is enough backlash on this developer they will end up having to honor all refunds. This isn't about steam it's about NMS being a lie, and I had hoped they would patch it somehow to deliver on some of the promises made before release. I will also suggest the launch was very suspicious as they did everything they could to remove videos of an early leak of the game. My thoughts are we would have all seen its failures and less copies would have been pursed through any of the distribution systems.All those who have been turned down, don't lose hope or let this go so easily. Perhaps even a refund petition by those who were turned down will soon pop up so steam will be able to see the torches and pitchforks above their own financial gains

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I am hoping there is enough backlash on this developer they will end up having to honor all refunds. This isn't about steam it's about NMS being a lie, and I had hoped they would patch it somehow to deliver on some of the promises made before release. I will also suggest the launch was very suspicious as they did everything they could to remove videos of an early leak of the game. My thoughts are we would have all seen its failures and less copies would have been pursed through any of the distribution systems.All those who have been turned down, don't lose hope or let this go so easily. Perhaps even a refund petition by those who were turned down will soon pop up so steam will be able to see the torches and pitchforks above their own financial gains
I may just have to wait until they add the stuff they promised. Although with all the refunds they may end up dropping the project.

I replied asking why they wouldn't refund when the game is a blatant scam. They haven't replied yet.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Sucks, the refund exploded all over. Idk, why steam didn't put out an update to rectify this. People are still posting on the forums they got their refunds and how long they have been playing. One guy posted it took him 7 times with 15hrs with the automation system

Malvariuz

Grand Admiral
Aug 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Malvariuz
Odd how they haven't put out a statement then. Maybe they walked back their refund when it started to explode. Maybe the threshold is higher but not like 20hrs higher
there are advertised features not in the game. You are qualified for a refund just by going to paypal or your credit card and saying you paid for a product but it did not have what was advertised and you have already contacted them for a refund.

ZombieXII

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
ZombieXII
Update: Steam did not refund my purchase, claiming their 2 hour policy as reason for denial. Would post email but I'm on my phone. Will edit when I get home.

EDIT: The response. I cannot recover the ticket I submitted but it did contain a lengthy note as to why it should be refunded.

Last edited:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I just had my first ticketed refund request refused. I am going to keep trying though until it gets through. I will keep writing tickets and explaining to steam why this should be refunded over and over and over until either I get my money back or Steam goes out of business.

I can't believe I have had to put in this much effort to get a refund. In any other product, this would be deemed immediately and obviously a scam if not criminal in it's deception. Look at what just happened to Volkswagen. All they did was lie about their gas mileage. This guy lied about half his game...

Tthe following is my latest ticket:

This is my second refund request. I received a generic response stating the typical policy.

However, this is not a typical request. This is the first time I have ever requested a refund for a game. This is not due to bugs or technical issues, it is because the game was advertised as something completely different.

The developer completely lied about the content of the game. There is a very, very long list of things that the developer said would be included, and were not. The developer lied about what we were buying and as a result, the game that I purchased was not the game that was advertised.

The entire reason for the lateness of the request, is because the missing content is not readily seen until later in the game. I spent quite a bit of time at the beginning of the game grinding out money to prepare myself for the remainder of the game. Once I continued on from that beginning, I realized that very little of what was promised actually made it into the game.

With zero doubt, this game was a complete scam. The developer stated that the game was going to be one thing, and then released something entirely different. Please do not endorse this scam. I request that my money be returned to my steam wallet.

I have no issue with Steam. I wish to remain a loyal customer (as I have been for many years now) and continue purchasing games through your service. However, I sincerely hope that you will stand behind the product you sold, see it as the scam that it is, and return my money so I can buy a game that actually attempts to deliver what it promised.

Thank you for your time.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I just had my first ticketed refund request refused. I am going to keep trying though until it gets through. I will keep writing tickets and explaining to steam why this should be refunded over and over and over until either I get my money back or Steam goes out of business.

I can't believe I have had to put in this much effort to get a refund. In any other product, this would be deemed immediately and obviously a scam if not criminal in it's deception. Look at what just happened to Volkswagen. All they did was lie about their gas mileage. This guy lied about half his game...

Tthe following is my latest ticket:

This is my second refund request. I received a generic response stating the typical policy.

However, this is not a typical request. This is the first time I have ever requested a refund for a game. This is not due to bugs or technical issues, it is because the game was advertised as something completely different.

The developer completely lied about the content of the game. There is a very, very long list of things that the developer said would be included, and were not. The developer lied about what we were buying and as a result, the game that I purchased was not the game that was advertised.

The entire reason for the lateness of the request, is because the missing content is not readily seen until later in the game. I spent quite a bit of time at the beginning of the game grinding out money to prepare myself for the remainder of the game. Once I continued on from that beginning, I realized that very little of what was promised actually made it into the game.

With zero doubt, this game was a complete scam. The developer stated that the game was going to be one thing, and then released something entirely different. Please do not endorse this scam. I request that my money be returned to my steam wallet.

I have no issue with Steam. I wish to remain a loyal customer (as I have been for many years now) and continue purchasing games through your service. However, I sincerely hope that you will stand behind the product you sold, see it as the scam that it is, and return my money so I can buy a game that actually attempts to deliver what it promised.

Thank you for your time.
I'm going to steal this!

ANARCKOS

Vice Admiral
Oct 19, 2014
RSI Handle
ANARCKOS
hehe yeah I named like 300 systems close to the galaxy core, on the extreme edge. so I wou7ld prob lose all of that with the refund. I was gonna use it to buy dishonored 2. but anyway its all good. dispite all the lies promisses and over hype I did enjoy the game.. hope to see more exploration tittles in the future o7

Reactions: Grimbli

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
hehe yeah I named like 300 systems close to the galaxy core, on the extreme edge. so I wou7ld prob lose all of that with the refund. I was gonna use it to buy dishonored 2. but anyway its all good. dispite all the lies promisses and over hype I did enjoy the game.. hope to see more exploration tittles in the future o7
Loved the first one. But just got done watching a trailer for second and the graphics are kinda shit. I'm sure they'll brush it up (hopefully) but wow. Will probably end up playing it anyways.

Reactions: ANARCKOS

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
I can't help but feel like this is the same thing as going to a restaurant. Eating the whole meal. Then saying you don't want to pay for it after the fact when you totally could have either ordered something else or said from the beginning it wasn't what you expect it. I don't understand the entitlement of because i'm not happy i should get my way no matter what. Im saying this as a waiter that has to deal with this every now and then

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I can't help but feel like this is the same thing as going to a restaurant. Eating the whole meal. Then saying you don't want to pay for it after the fact when you totally could have either ordered something else or said from the beginning it wasn't what you expect it. I don't understand the entitlement of because i'm not happy i should get my way no matter what. Im saying this as a waiter that has to deal with this every now and then
Going with the restaurant theme, it's like ordering a three course dinner with appetizer, filet mignon and a strawberry cheesecake.

They bring out the appetizer and it's pretty decent. Then instead of a wonderfully cooked filet mignon they bring out a burnt chuck steak, and for dessert you get strawberry shortcake (but with the strawberry flavored filling).

And then they tell you they won't give your money back because you ate your appetizer. You didn't find out til later that what you were getting was not what you ordered. Meanwhile you paid $60 for a plate of bullshit.

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
Going with the restaurant theme, it's like ordering a three course dinner with appetizer, filet mignon and a strawberry cheesecake.

They bring out the appetizer and it's pretty decent. Then instead of a wonderfully cooked filet mignon they bring out a burnt chuck steak, and for dessert you get strawberry shortcake (but with the strawberry flavored filling).

And then they tell you they won't give your money back because you ate your appetizer. You didn't find out til later that what you were getting was not what you ordered. Meanwhile you paid $60 for a plate of bullshit.
Thats actually not the same. If you at they entire meal then demanded a refund its the same. If you before the whole meal was served decided this isnt what you thought you were paying for then you get the refund.

My point still stands. if with the endless Negative reviews the 14 day 2 hour play limit, family share possibilities to play the game for endless hours with out paying a cent (My cousin bought it first and i played it through family share before purchasing), and 100s of videos on youtube and twitch. If you thought the game was so bad why play so much. Leave it to the people who obviously got free copies to review.

No one forced you to play for 80+ hours. The only thing i can say is i do think 2 hours is a little stringent and i think the limit should be 5, but with that said fact is if given a chance to turn back. You turn back. If you dont and you dont like where the road leads thats on you.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Thats actually not the same. If you at they entire meal then demanded a refund its the same. If you before the whole meal was served decided this isnt what you thought you were paying for then you get the refund.

My point still stands. if with the endless Negative reviews the 14 day 2 hour play limit, family share possibilities to play the game for endless hours with out paying a cent (My cousin bought it first and i played it through family share before purchasing), and 100s of videos on youtube and twitch. If you thought the game was so bad why play so much. Leave it to the people who obviously got free copies to review.

No one forced you to play for 80+ hours. The only thing i can say is i do think 2 hours is a little stringent and i think the limit should be 5, but with that said fact is if given a chance to turn back. You turn back. If you dont and you dont like where the road leads thats on you.
I've played 5 hours. That's enough to finish and enjoy an entire game which was released with the promise it would last years?

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
I've played 5 hours. That's enough to finish and enjoy an entire game which was released with the promise it would last years?
Well since i dont think you understand that my point is that The Limit on hours played should be extended to 5 hours to decide if you like the game or want to return it. In some causes lowered if the game is only a few hours long but usually price coincides with that anyway.

So i dont see how your question is relative to my point?

To also point out technically the game can last years at its current state. If you can stomach endless grinding and only have an interest in the possible likelihood of some super unique species ETC...

Nor am i defending Hello Games or Sean Murray I think they owe more on the game, but i also except the fact that since i played the game for so long im not owed any refund. Plus, i don't have any buyers remorse. I still enjoy the game for what it is. I find it relaxing like minecraft is. Could it have been better sold, Yes. Could the price point be lower in the state its in now, Totally. The point still stands that you don't buy a book read the whole thing then say it wasn't your cup of tea gimme my money back.

If you only played 5 hours or less then sure i think steam should raise the time to 5 hours. Steam doesn't though and their limit is still 2 hours or 14 days.

If the resources are more than an abundant to make an informed purchase and you still buy it and then after that you are fully aware that you can return it with in a certain time. You can't really be upset at anyone but yourself is all im saying.

Forgot your password?