TEST Squadron Desk Mat!

Are you *seriously* interested in purchasing a TEST Desk Pad?

• Yes Pad

Votes: 73 59.3%
  • No, my desk is #yoloSwag'd out more than I can handle already!

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Not at this time, but in the future.

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • Maybe if there is enough interest I'll go in on one.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Yes. In fact I will want more than 1!

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
I haven't had the pleasure of using any SteelSeries product so I don't know how it compares, but like I said before, I can say that, in my (very biased) opinion, it stands up to the official CIG desk mats.

I'm more than satisfied with it in terms of quality, but I wouldn't call myself a connoisseur of mouse pads. I'm in the camp that, unless you're venturing into different materials (IE: glass), as long as it doesn't suck you probably won't notice much difference long term. I don't game competitively. Hell, I don't game as much as I'd like, and when I do it's either with a HOTAS or gamepad. I'll be honest, most of the action it sees in web browsing, but I've never once had the thought: "I could do better with a different mouse pad".

Edit: spelling is hard when drunk

Last edited:

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
Dude, I lived in Lexington last October! I may have already asked, but do you go to the races much? Breeders cup is coming up!

And I already confirmed with you that I'm getting one, but I want it to look like I'm sort of on topic here...
I love it here in Lex, but I've never had any interest in the equine sector. Also, I don't like sports so the entire "big blue nation" thing is wasted on me.

And yes, I have you on the list to receive one. If you're nearby we can meet instead of mailing the pad to you.

---------------------------------------

Another general update: I'll most likely place the order on Friday the 30th. That's payday for me and it will allow me to grab a few more to have on hand.

I have discussed with Myre (does @Myre send a notification? I guess I'll found out) and since he wants a pad, he is willing to sit on a few extras for any of our EU members that would want one (there's very little cost difference for me to send a few vs one). I don't know shipping costs around Europe, but it has to be cheaper than importing from the US. Anyone there that wants one would still pay me for the mat, (and probably pay Myre directly for shipping, but we haven't gotten that far).

If you're in Europe and you're interested let me know. It'll save you a lot of money on shipping to get one from Myre out of a bulk delivery instead of paying $50 or more to ship one from me to you.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I haven't had the pleasure of using any SteelSeries product so I don't know how it compares, but like I said before, I can say that, in my (very biased) opinion, it stands up to the official CIG desk mats.

I'm more than satisfied with it in terms of quality, but I wouldn't call myself a connoisseur of mouse pads. I'm in the camp that, unless you're venturing into different materials (IE: glass), as long as it doesn't suck you probably won't notice much difference long term. I don't game competitively. Hell, I don't game as much as I'd like, and when I do it's either with a HOTAS or gamepad. I'll be honest, most of the action it sees in web browsing, but I've never once had the thought: "I could do better with a different mouse pad".

Edit: spelling is hard when drunk
My mouse essentially glides across the pad? If the mat that high quality?

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
My mouse essentially glides across the pad? If the mat that high quality?
!!! I can absolutely answer this! When the mat first came in I did some experiments to test the quality of the fabric. They weren't as scientific as maybe they should have been, but I'm not a scientist so everyone will have to deal with that.

For reference, I use a Logitech G500s with the full 27 grams of added weight. Bringing the total weight to 191 grams (6.73oz) I like a very heavy mouse and most gaming mice are in the 100 grams or lower range (The Razer Deathadder is 104 grams). I used the Logitech G5 for years weighed down with 36 grams in the cartridge and would have bought another if I could have found it because it was the heaviest mouse on the market.

My mouse doesn't glide or slide or dance across any mouse pad. It presses its weight into the desk like a stubborn ox and I have to heave the thing with a mighty roar to get it to move at all.

So, I hadn't changed the skates on my mouse since I bought it (over a year ago) and they were in bad shape (used directly on a wooden desk for a few months). I first used the mat for several hours with the old skates just to see how it compared to my old mouse pad (my old pad is comparable to VistaPrint garbage). I immediately noticed a difference in the smoothness of operation.

Then, (again, after several hours) after getting used to the pad with the old skates, I changed the skates on my mouse, but I did *not* remove the plastic cover that was on the skates (forcing them to be rougher and glide less). Even with the plastic wrap still on my mouse skates I noticed a small difference compared to the old skates.

I then forgot to remove the plastic cover as it was more than good enough for my usage until a few weeks ago when I noticed that I was collecting all the dust and cat dander around the skates and it was legitimately catching on the pad. After removing the plastic (and cleaning all the crap with an alcohol swab) it literally felt like new and it's just flying across my desk now.

Also, I really need to shorten these replies. Nobody wants to read all of this just for a mouse pad... That must be why 20 people voted they'd want one but I've only got like 6 confirmed.

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
*Bumpity bump*

I didn't have time to take a video of the mat this weekend. Would that help anyone make a decision? I can do something really simple tomorrow evening if it will.

I'm currently planning on placing the order on Friday October 30th! At this point I have 6 people confirmed to get one. I will most likely order 12 mats total. I will be mailing Myre 3 mats for our EU brethren that will want one down the road and I will be hanging on to 3 myself for anyone state side that wants one.

If you want one you have until this Friday to PM me!

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket

As I was heading out the door, the delivery man was bringing this in. I'll have updates for all that ordered one and more pics for everyone as soon as I get home from the gym in a couple of hours.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

Reactions: Gauna

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
So, I wanted to bump this thread for a few reasons.

One, we're giving one of these away for the December/Christmas giveaway so it's relevant.

Second: A general update. The original order that came in a couple of weeks ago, was manufactured incorrectly. They used the wrong fabric type on the mats (I'll go into that further down) so I had to have them correct it. It was a complete pleasure working with these guys. I sent some pictures and explained what happened, and they immediately corrected the order free of charge! I have an immense respect for a company that owns a mistake like these guys did.

Now, this means a couple of things.

I have gotten the replacement mats in as of 15 minutes ago and have checked that they are correct (they are) so the people that ordered one originally will be getting theirs by next week (in theory). Additionally I purchased a few extras to tide things over until the next time I can place an order. I will be sending 2 extras to Myre in England so if one of our European members wants one they won't be paying $80+ for international shipping from the US and I've got a couple extra myself for stateside members.

The bigger thing though is that I've got a dozen mats laying around that are super cool, but not really good for a mouse pad. I don't know exactly what I want to do with these, but I'm strongly leaning towards selling them at a low price to TEST members that want a cool mat, but aren't looking to use it for a mouse surface.

Here is an album doing a comparison of the fabric types. The comments on the images were for the manufacturer's information.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now, when I get home I will want to take pictures of the new correct mats in comparison to the original mat that I purchased months ago (pictured in the OP) because I'm pretty sure that they have vastly improved the printing process that they use. The blacks are much deeper and the entire image is *much* crisper and cleaner looking. Like, I'm jealous that mine doesn't look as good as these new ones, but I'm also thrilled because anyone that wants one is getting something even better than they signed up for. :D

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
So is there more texture on the wrong ones, is that it? I've been thinking of putting a little cork board or something up next to the computer. Maybe this would work for something like that?

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
So is there more texture on the wrong ones, is that it? I've been thinking of putting a little cork board or something up next to the computer. Maybe this would work for something like that?
Yes there is a huge difference in texture. The rough mats are designed to catch and drag so things don't slide easily (you can still move a mouse across it, but it would honestly cause fatigue pretty quickly).

Beyond keyboard/HOTAS/static peripherals, yes I think they would be great for a note board. They are only 4mm thick so you would want to adhere/affix it to a foam backing or something that will hold tacks as well as make it rigid.

I think I might want one of the shitty ones...
*Gasp* They're not shitty! :P They just aren't a good surface for a mouse for gaming. The fourth pic in the album above shows the difference best. It's like the difference between a button up dress shirt and a (nice!) wool overcoat.

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
I might be interested in one of the rejects, depending on how much they are.

Forgot your password?