TEST SQUADRON: Download PlanetSide2, we are going in for flight school

Roelosaurus

Grand Admiral
Mar 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Roelosaurus
X

But Matherson is infamous for its anti-air tactics by all the factions though...

Last edited:

Kovakx

Lieutenant
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Kovakx
Can you transition your character between servers? I'm currently on the Emerald server, so can I keep the same character or would I need a new one to move onto the Mattherson server?

Also, if I have multiple characters do all the cert points pool into my main user account, or are do they remain character specific? (I'm guessing they get pooled and I can spend the points earned on one server on the character for another server).

Sorry, only really just getting to grips with PS2. You can find me as Kovakx007 (one of the few times I've found my user name already taken!)

TestBot

Ghost
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
TestBot
Can you transition your character between servers? I'm currently on the Emerald server, so can I keep the same character or would I need a new one to move onto the Mattherson server?
To answer your question you can not transfer characters between servers yet however Emrald is Matherson. Matherson and Waterson merged a couple weeks ago the new server was named Emrald.

Also, if I have multiple characters do all the cert points pool into my main user account, or are do they remain character specific? (I'm guessing they get pooled and I can spend the points earned on one server on the character for another server).
Certs do not pool and anything your purchase with certs will stay on that character however SC pools and anything you purchase with SC if it is not empire specific will be shared with all other characters.

Sorry, only really just getting to grips with PS2. You can find me as Kovakx007 (one of the few times I've found my user name already taken!)
No problem! Planetside is a complex game and takes a bit to get started. Happy to help!

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
To answer your question you can not transfer characters between servers yet however Emrald is Matherson. Matherson and Waterson merged a couple weeks ago the new server was named Emrald.
wait wait wait... didn't they just have a big battle to decide who keeps the name? and they STILL changed it after the merge?

too much confusion?!

Kovakx

Lieutenant
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Kovakx
Hopefully I'll see you online later today. Look for the burning comet of metal hurtling from the sun...

TestBot

Ghost
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
TestBot
wait wait wait... didn't they just have a big battle to decide who keeps the name? and they STILL changed it after the merge?

too much confusion?!
So the huge battle to decide the server name ended in everyone spending about thirty minutes trying to figure out if the final score was 46-45 I'm favor of Matherson or 47-44 in favor of Waterson. After which it was declared 46-45 in favor of Matherson but all the outfit leaders from both servers decided that naming it Emrald would be best because of the extremely close fight and also Emrald was apparently a prominent PS1 server. However SOE were nice and named two Esamir bases after Matherson and Waterson with the Matherson one's name having something to do with victory or something. I don't remember the name right now.

Also this:

Gelafogo

Lieutenant
Jul 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Gelofogo
Is there someone I should talk to to join TEST's squadron in PS2? I've played around a bit and it's pretty fun.

Corarium

Rear Admiral
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
Corarium
They say Eve online is brutal, no one ever talks about your first drop in Planetside.

You sign up, make a soldier with the glorious Vanu Sovereignty, excited to expand science to all the depths and corners of the universe, you're slightly giggling because of the sheer epic scale you are expecting, then it happens. You are shown a small video about your purpose and goal. As the sense of confusion slowly sets in, you are put in a drop pod and sent hurdling down towards the ground. You hit the ground, the doors open and you walk out. You are stunned at the beauty and the huge nature of the Auraxis, as you are looking around, taking it all in, a few shots land on you. You run for cover, not knowing who is shooting you or why, or from where. Behind cover you take a peak and don't see anything. You look closely, you notice about seven different tanks headed your way, with air support, and a horde of enemy infantry behind them. You turn around to run and are met with the same force of a different army. As you look for another hiding place, several explosive shells, AP shells, sniper rifle rounds, and many many different kinds of bullets converge on your head. You are dead.

The genius Instant Action system had dropped you in a TR vs. NC fight.

Welcome to Planetside.
Yeah, sounds about right for my first drop. That was terrifying and it alienated me from the game for at least a week so I could watch tutorials and tip videos.

Also, will there ever be another one of these, maybe the end of 2014 or beginning of 2015?

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I can't fly in Planetside anymore after logging a couple hundred hours in Star Citizen. The controls are just too different. :P

OneViolence

Rear Admiral
Oct 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Fearan
Before i sign up ill need to know the exact time the TEST outfit -test is, so ill know if i can fit into my (not very) busy schedule

ghost53574

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2014
RSI Handle
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/xgh0st
I didn't like this game because of the simple fact that the flight controls and respawn timers are/were so fucking retarded. Can you say sensitivity?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1vrh6z/why_the_air_game_sucks_for_new_players/

I personally love Star Citizen, War Thunder dedicated computer flight controls. They are designed for keyboard and mouse. What makes it worse though is that Planetside 2 and Battlefield 4 use the same control scheme, except that in BF4 you can actually learn how to fly unlike Planetside 2. So in all honesty I will never play Planetside 2 again just because of the fact that I do not want to wait (a long time) for an aircraft to spawn only to be destroyed ten seconds later to a superior pilot.

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/VR_Training_Facility

Yes I know there are a lot of people who would say the following: Why not practice the controls in the VR Training Facility? The answer is painfully simple, no pain no gain. If you cannot fight against real people to practice and hone in on your skills as a pilot even by learning the controls you fail to learn how to dogfight which is the primary point of air-to-air combat in Planetside 2. That and the fact that once you learn how to pilot an aircraft when you do get shot down you have to wait again for another fighter/bomber to spawn. So we are really back to square one of why many, including me, do not care for flight in Planetside 2 and because of that (at least for me) I do not want to play a Call of Duty like FPS game with almost no real good way to communicate unless you are on a server were the majority of people care about the objectives and are not newbies. That painfully leaves us back to why I hate air-to-air combat, other pilots will be strafing you and you cannot do anything about it except fire anti-air missiles.

I qualify in saying this because I use to be a very good pilot in Ace of Combat on the Xbox 360, was invited to a MLG team to skirmish against in Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (to see if I was worthy of playing on their team, which because of my ignorance at my age I heavily declined after being offered a spot on their team), and I plain on getting a stick controller for Star Citizen (as well as making that game my primary game). Even so when I bought my Nvidia GTX EVGA 680 Classified and received free game credits for PS2, WoT's, and WT I didn't think it would make much of a difference in those games. So I downloaded all of them, except World of Tanks, and played a good fifteen hours of each to only come to one conclusion. War Thunder was not really a play to win game, but Planetside 2 was so much more so. The reason was because of the fact that high fire rate weapons that were also more accurate are only for high level players or people willing to pay money to obtain premium items. Therefore you have an advantage in PS2 if you buy equipment, unlike a game like BF4 were you could easily kill someone with a compact .45 or a M9 over a desert eagle. Also I dislike that they reset everyone's states and changed some of the game mechanics from when I started playing Planetside 2 (so much that I noticed).

TL;DR -What's the point in all of this? Well it's somewhere to vent about the game but it's also a notice to other's not to expect that much from flight. I'll go if it's just for a fun time but don't expect anything serious.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
The controls really aren't that bad, but the targeting is terrible. You're left to guess where to point your gun to lead your target properly, which means most dogfights are very close range.

Dortz

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
Dortz
Did someone say Planetside? I'm a boss-ass-bitch when it comes to flying the Galaxy

Forgot your password?