The Acolyte

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I 100% understand where you're coming from Han. To me, however, The Acolyte has a bit too much of a very special Star Wars after school special on a higher end budget. That's just me. I hope that the show evolves and proves me wrong. Maybe...just maybe I just had too high expectations. I wanted the show to be a more mature experience like Andor. So maybe the problems not entirely with the show, but within me and how I connect with the show?
I think folks gotta approach Star Wars with the view that’s it’s a massive franchise with different styles and tones. Different stuff for different demographics. I’m a big fan of the Rogue One/Andor-verse. Less so say the Mandalorian/Boba Fett. There’s also stuff like the animated shows and stuff like Young Jedi Adventures or whatever that my 10 year old niece watches. I’ll give The Acolyte a go but I’ll probably not like it that much.

My point is there’s supposed to be a Star Wars for everyone. If you don’t like a particular show, that’s alright….there’s probably something else more to your liking. Too many fans feel personally attacked if a show doesn’t conform to their preset views, it’s weird.

Last edited:

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I 100% understand where you're coming from Han. To me, however, The Acolyte has a bit too much of a very special Star Wars after school special on a higher end budget. That's just me. I hope that the show evolves and proves me wrong. Maybe...just maybe I just had too high expectations. I wanted the show to be a more mature experience like Andor. So maybe the problems not entirely with the show, but within me and how I connect with the show?
Oh yeah, for sure. Disney's biggest hurdle with show expectations is their failure to cultivate a consistent tone. The show is for sure a bit "camp", but so was the original trilogy. I think they could do for a unification on aiming for a TV MA rating for live action stuff and Teen for the animated shows. Andor proved that Star Wars fans are interested in deeper and darker story-lines, but the money people likely wring their hands over losing possible audience numbers. That's why we still get camp from some creators in the space. It pays to remember sometimes that writing takes a long time, so it takes a while for a change of course to materialize. But that change of course is overdue at this point. The likely problem is that they have been focusing on bigger cannon characters that they can't show hacking stormtroopers to ribbons because little billy recognizes the character from their cartoon. Andor didn't have that problem because it was a cast of nobodies. We want more of that.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I still don't understand your point.
Why would you understand anything you refuse to look at? You are ignorant because you’re a bully whose bias makes him an antagonist whenever I post. Once for all Han, I am not responsible for your tiny wheenie, your incel status nor your double digit IQ. Stop blaming me for everything and stop pretending I have bigotries that are expressed NOWHERE in my posts. I have had good, close, gay friends since way before it was cool to come out of the closet—since way before you were born. Stop with your grade school bullying and empty accusations.
How has the Acolyte strayed from what you, a non-GeorgeLucas individual insists is George's personally held belief?
George has been very specific on dozens or hundreds of occasions that he is Buddhist and the Jedi/Sith dichotomy is designed around Buddhism. Star Wars cosmology was expressly designed to view good as selfless and evil as selfish. Everything we know about the Jedi and the Sith is supposed to validate these notions. Especially the fall of Anakin Skywalker was designed to be the result of the yearning that selfless love is intended to thwart.

Leslye Headlund has been extremely clear—she is giving us something new with Acolyte. The intention is to undermine the Jedi as heroes and support Sith as misunderstood champions. This was released to audiences a year and a half ago. The Acolyte trailer was held back from release for over a year because Headlund, Kennedy and the Disney board all understand why Star Wars fans are going to HATE this project. It is deliberately intending to “break” Star Wars. Anyone who loves the franchise should hate putrid vomit like this.

I’m not a Disney hater. I defended Ahsoka before, during and after its release. I defended The Mandolorian, and Andor and expect to defend Skeleton Crew. That doesn’t mean I need to support every putrid product perverts belch onto a streaming service. This notion that “there is no right and wrong” is pure evil, and fans should say this. Gnosticism is evil.

Reactions: Han Burgundy

Garonman

Captain
Oct 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Garonman5
It is simple. If you don't like it, don't watch it and move on from it. Shouting about it only brings one outcome.... We do not care that you do not like it!! You can continue to cry all you like but just do it in private.

Reactions: Aramsolari

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Interesting. Did Disney say that or is that just random third-party commentary? Sounds like the latter? If so, so what?
There are now dozens of reviewers and commentators who have found the same vid to comment on. What was striking to me was, I turned on Star Wars Theory live during their watch session, and they pulled up this clip, and the extemporaneous response was what I stumbled into. It’s now going viral it seems.

Again, I don’t think the queering of Star Wars is nearly as big an issue as the gnostic infiltration and deliberate deconstruction of Lucas’ cosmology. I did find it striking and overwhelming, the casual disregard for fans and hubris-laden frivolity with which Headlund was rejoicing, that her project was the most gay Star Wars. If that is your goal you obviously don’t care about getting ratioed by the fans. Headlund cares more about The Message than she does about quality storytelling and success.

This is really the problem we’ve seen all across Disney for a decade now. They know that radical feminism turns viewers away, yet they engage in this anyway. They know fans have never liked seeing their heroes gender swapped, but they won’t stop. They know people just do not want to see stuff about sexual preference, or “identification”. People just want great characters and stories, and Disney is just failing. All of Hollywood is failing. No surprise when you have a Message you treat as more important than good storytelling.

Joel Barry says “The Acolyte is a queer, Marxist vandalization of Star Wars”, and that’s so. When we get to second order complaints we can dig down especially on the Marxist memes. The philosophy there is as stunning as that surrounding Headlund’s use of Ancient Mystery Religion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky Captain

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I think I get it now. You're playing the meta game. You shoulda said that, silly. See, here in normalpeople land we watch TV for entertainment and to pass the time. Did I stop watching Lethal Weapon simply because Mel Gibson is just...the worst? Nope, I love them shits. Is Naked Gun any less funny because of OJ? Nope. Not on your life. If I'm going to be painted as a schoolyard bully, I will borrow some terminology from the space; What kind of absolute dork watches a show about space wizards and complains that it is being gnostic? What kind of WWF-beleiving dweeb does someone have to be to let the "Action backstage" have any bearing on the Kung-Fu laserfight on screen? You think you're being a person with depth while it is quite obvious you plumb the waters of other men to find a point to parrot. We are not denying your stage to state your point or trying to shout you into silence. We are simply positing that your point of view is stupid, backed by stupid evidence made by stupid people, and that you should feel stupid for having it. If you want to know where I get all the anti-LGBTQ parallels in your posts; You might want to try watching some of the videos you've linked, my guy.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Sometimes too, a brilliant work is ahead of its time, or otherwise over the heads of its audience. The 13th Floor was like that, as was the music vid for it by The Cardigans.

That’s a very different situation than what we have here. SW is established. People have an idea what they’re in for so when they get ratioed, something is really wrong.

I saw one funny vid where the guy is mocking the fight scene at the beginning of episode 1.While he makes lots of great and funny observations and surely the scene could stand improvement, I think most SW fans would agree the scene is fun. So why have audiences ratioed it? Well because they hate what Disney is doing to the franchise. They hate it. Less than a third of the audience likes what they were presented with. Excuses like those in this thread don’t fly, and people continue to leave the streaming service and vacation anywhere other than the parks. If you puke up on your audience, you should expect them to go somewhere else, and they have.
View: https://youtu.be/6WOYnv59Bi8?si=NvUnER0noDNqZvlL
Hi, apologies I missed the additional part of your post you edited in later. Nothing wrong with editing later to add more context, but please do let the person you are addressing know you've updated the post if it is drastic, or any reaction/response to it may be out of context with the additional information in it.

For example your initial post was simply "Sometimes too, a brilliant work is ahead of its time, or otherwise over the heads of its audience. The 13th Floor was like that, as was the music vid for it by The Cardigans." Which I popped a ' Like' on.

But later you added "That’s a very different situation than what we have here." And the further commentary which changed the onus of the post I was putting a like on.

Its likely you were editing while I was seeing the original post but please be wary of changing the post context like that and let your addressee know if you get a reaction / response while editing.

I have removed my original reaction and am reviewing the additional.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
He screams that we’re bullies yet goes off about how we’re uneducated incels too stupid with our ‘double digit’ IQs to understand his anti-Gnostic takes on Star Wars theory or whatever.

Meanwhile those who challenge his views and/or mock him get on his ignore list.

Inevitably this thread will completely derail, the mods lock it up and he goes quiet for a bit only to restart the whole thing a couple of months from now.

We’ll of course chime in then because shit….why not? This ain’t his personal soapbox and this is somewhat entertaining.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Inevitably this thread will completely derail, the mods lock it up and he goes quiet for a bit only to restart the whole thing a couple of months from now.
As always, The Outside is available for philosophy and other types of derails:

Come, join me and let us discuss morality, phenomenology the wisdom of crowds and coercion thereof... In The Outside.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Will do, Naff. I saw you had posted while I was still writing (I do all this on my phone so it takes several edit.). I’ll do what I can to call attention to serious edits late on.

Han, if your point is that people don’t form their world view based upon ideas they find in films, I guess I can’t argue with that. All I can say is that this is obviously and stupidly wrong. Especially in a day where people routinely go with no religious, ethical, moral or philosophical education, people do indeed absorb memes all the time, and certainly many of the current generation have already adopted this notion, that life is not about right and wrong. It’s about power, and who should wield it. This is as I said, central to both cultural Marxism and DEI. People are absorbing this stuff through simple contact all the time, like an infection. That’s why people call it a “mind virus”. It’s an evil virus to be sure, functioning as it does to strip the soul of its moral decision-making ability.

Apart from this, you’re still left with my first point. Would you like to explain to us all why it is okay to deconstruct Lucas’ cosmology, and why this generation owes him no respect regarding his creation? I’m all ears. We’re talking about a complete flip flop. It’s melodrama at its worst. Headlund is devoted to reversing right and wrong and debasing the values Lucas wrote about. How is that okay, do you think?

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Will do, Naff. I saw you had posted while I was still writing (I do all this on my phone so it takes several edit.). I’ll do what I can to call attention to serious edits late on.
Many thanks, appreciate it - I have fallen foul of this myself in the past, easy to do by accident.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy

Han, if your point is that people don’t form their world view based upon ideas they find in films, I guess I can’t argue with that. All I can say is that this is obviously and stupidly wrong. Especially in a day where people routinely go with no religious, ethical, moral or philosophical education, people do indeed absorb memes all the time, and certainly many of the current generation have already adopted this notion, that life is not about right and wrong. It’s about power, and who should wield it. This is as I said, central to both cultural Marxism and DEI. People are absorbing this stuff through simple contact all the time, like an infection. That’s why people call it a “mind virus”. It’s an evil virus to be sure, functioning as it does to strip the soul of its moral decision-making ability.

Apart from this, you’re still left with my first point. Would you like to explain to us all why it is okay to deconstruct Lucas’ cosmology, and why this generation owes him no respect regarding his creation? I’m all ears. We’re talking about a complete flip flop. It’s melodrama at its worst. Headlund is devoted to reversing right and wrong and debasing the values Lucas wrote about. How is that okay, do you think?
1: If you are allowing movies to parent your children and give them all of life's lessons, then you are a horrible parent who has foisted yet another unmanageable gremlin onto the school system. What you are seemingly aiming for is a censorship of anything that doesn't fit your morality mold and I am here to tell you that that is not how the modern world works, sweetheart. Stop trying to append -isms to everything. It makes you sound like a bit of a pompous prick.

2: George Lucas sold the rights to Star Wars, so I'd argue that he has nothing to do with the vision moving forward. George isn't some deity that cannot be wrong. We all saw the prequels. His dialogue was horrible and he totally lacked an ability to write believable characters with more than a single dimension. Maybe that's what you're on about. A hero in a show has to be ALL good or else he's EVIL. You don't seem to understand or respect the storytelling elements that can come with struggling against one's own darkness. And anyone who says they contain no darkness is generally pretty rotten on the inside but blind to it.

2: When you say the term "Mind Virus", all I hear is "Things didn't used to be like this and the change scares me. It MUST be the devil!"

Also, you have bad hair and you smell funny. Boom. Roasted.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
No. None of that. Han, WTF are you doing insulting your betters while you hide in mommy’s basement stroking yourself, saying you are a screenwriter, who would have work if producers would stop hiring their kin? WTF, man?

It’s obvious to everyone else that people absorb these bad ideas, and this idea is so bad you refuse to call it what it is. Disabling your conscience is objectively wrong. People are buying into this all across our country and if you spend time on college campuses you’ll see it everywhere. Mind virus’ aren’t just change. We’re talking about people telling themselves they are above notions of right and wrong. That’s specifically what Headlund said, it’s in the dialog of the characters and it is what was released in the trailer months ago. It’s not something Disney-bashers made up. I’ve already traced the history of this and pointed out where it leads. It leads to death.

Headlund and Kennedy explained over a year ago that this is the theme of the series. This is what they’re selling. It is intended to replace Lucas’ cosmology and correct it. In order to sell this meme, the intention is to very deliberately dishonor and deconstruct the Jedi, so that they are no longer seen as good, and glorify the Sith so they are no longer seen as evil. That’s the intention, and why people have been objecting ever since.

You can’t make meaningful reference to anything I write because nothing gets past the psychotic filter in your head. You invent stuff you claim I said or thought and don’t respond to what I actually wrote. Responding to stuff no one has said save the voice in your head is seriously crazy.

In the future, please just STOP writing about what you imagine I’m thinking, and try to restrict yourself to responses to what I have actually written. You are off the rails, dude. It looks like drugs. . .really bad drugs. Flush those. Try to understand, Han; when you hear one thing and decide it must mean something else, that’s psychosis. That’s delusion.

Get some help and stop doing those bad drugs

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
RottenTomatoes audience score is still sinking, down to 30%. Critic’s score is artificially high due to LGBTQIA+ endorsements. Negative reviews are off the charts, especially mocking production values and dialog, given extraordinary funding at Disney.

There appears no hope Disney will recover their investment with this project, as subscriptions to Disney+ continue to slip, dropping to 157M globally, from 161M this time last year. DEI and Woke are not selling overseas.

Forgot your password?