Theorycrafting the Carrack

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Flatterer ;) Keep your words and send them to your awesome wife and son :)
Two months left until you travel home...?

Reactions: Lexicon

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Flatterer ;) Keep your words and send them to your awesome wife and son :)
Two months left until you travel home...?
Haha, they get the bulk of my words. ❤
I do not, however, have any issue with saying kind things to people other than my family. Especially when those kind things are true. ;)

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Phew, loooots of things. I try to write down some key aspects:

- is in active production phase and constructed/designed by Foundry42 UK; its their first multi-crew ship they are working on
- very tough structure because of her military origins, but with minor weapon capabilities and comfort
- Ursa Rover and, currently unkown, snub fighter for short distance recon flights
- optional: drone launchers; will be buyable as additional purchase option
- very efficient in the use of QF and fuel in general; kind of "independant", thus capable of "self supply" options and equiped probably with medical and repair bay; rumors say that she will be able to refine fuel for own emergency needs (not capable for doing that like a farer for instance)
- main competency is map star systems, especially unkown jump points or QT routes
- holo radar
- cockpit seats (3 x ) will move forward into the glas front (kind of "railing system")
- glas front can be secured by external metal plates
- the huge antennas and sensors are planned for 100% exactly leveling/adjusting/aligning the Carrack before jumping into an unknown jump hole; this for avoiding accidental/unplanned exits from the jump operation/flight
- modules are currently unknown; presumably there will be several different modules which will be buyable as additional purchase option
- the question is: who can afford a Carrack during live operations? She will be a highly cost-intensive ship which only can be operated with appropriate financial reserves of the owner. Perhaps there will be a reputation system: with a good reputation you perhaps can accept exploration jobs with a good payment (but which will be in non-LTI areas, I assume).
- Without jump-points there will be no sense in releasing the Carrack; therefore the team finally suggests that the Carrack will NOT be released with 3.0
Pretty much what I expected all along though I'm disinclined to believe the rumor that it will self refine gas for emergency fuel. Interested in the drone launchers......

The comment about cost to operate is on point with my current theories on ships that large. Which if its expensive to operate a Carrack, its going to be an undertaking to operate a Corvette never mind an Idris.

And thank you for translating and being awesome all around.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
All the talk about high costs is starting to make me hesitate to apply that carrack upgrade....I just wanted a big-ass ship to hang my hat, but maybe I'd end up a space-hobo if I tried to call the Carrack home. Decisions decisions...

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
All the talk about high costs is starting to make me hesitate to apply that carrack upgrade....I just wanted a big-ass ship to hang my hat, but maybe I'd end up a space-hobo if I tried to call the Carrack home. Decisions decisions...
Hang your hat there...and fly something else until you're rich as fuck. Exploration won't die over night my friend!

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Hang your hat there...and fly something else until you're rich as fuck. Exploration won't die over night my friend!
The really odd thing about me owning a Carrack is I don't really care much for exploration (as far as it has been explained so far) I really was more in love with the design of the ship rather than its engineered purpose. I figured that with the modular belly slots I could customize it to do whatever I need her to. Honestly I foresaw myself using it as a command and control ship for my bounty hunting expeditions. I want to find people, not jump points. But then again, all of that could very well be possible. Only time will bring more info, so I shall sit on the upgrade until enough intel is available for me to make an intelligent decision.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
The really odd thing about me owning a Carrack is I don't really care much for exploration (as far as it has been explained so far) I really was more in love with the design of the ship rather than its engineered purpose. I figured that with the modular belly slots I could customize it to do whatever I need her to. Honestly I foresaw myself using it as a command and control ship for my bounty hunting expeditions. I want to find people, not jump points. But then again, all of that could very well be possible. Only time will bring more info, so I shall sit on the upgrade until enough intel is available for me to make an intelligent decision.
Make that two. Neither do I need her, but bought her nevertheless. Presumably I will be more frequently active in the Aquila and/or Terrapin.
But looking to my Starfarer, how often I'm just cruising with her through the verse, running around or enjoying the view from its balcony (yes, it has a balcony for getting out and having a smoke or the like! :D), I suggest that the same will happen with the Carrack: Sam just cruising around with her, walking through the corridors and gazing in amazement at every little detail. :)

Last edited:

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Make that two. Neither do I need her, but bought her nevertheless. Presumably I will be more frequently active in the Aquila and/or Terrapin.
But looking to my Starfarer, how often I'm just cruising with her through the verse, running around or enjoying the view from its balcony (yes, it has a balcony for getting out and having a smoke or the like! :D), I suggest that the same will happen with the Carrack: Sam just cruising around with her, walking through the corridors and gazing in amazement at every little detail. :)
What do you foresee being the huge cost sink in operating a carrack? Could they mean that it simply costs an astronomical amount just to fill it up at the pump, or do you think they were referring to the premiums required to staff one with NPCs to run for exploration OPs? Hopefully If I can keep my NPC crew light (Just enough to man the turrets) and can scrape by. Its just so worth it to have that beautiful goddamn bridge.

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
I remember it being mentioned that each player could only hire up to four NPCs at a time, or something of that ilk. I imagine that would be a chunk of the cost - having to subcontract out hiring NPCs to other players. The Starfarer needs three bodies just to run the cockpit/bridge optimally... I can't imagine the Carrack having a significant difference in its bridge design.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
What do you foresee being the huge cost sink in operating a carrack? Could they mean that it simply costs an astronomical amount just to fill it up at the pump, or do you think they were referring to the premiums required to staff one with NPCs to run for exploration OPs? Hopefully If I can keep my NPC crew light (Just enough to man the turrets) and can scrape by. Its just so worth it to have that beautiful goddamn bridge.
How could you forget your most trusty co-pilot!? I feel abandoned.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
It really does make sense that big ships cost a lot to run even if its just relative to the small ships. Lets be honest worst case I can sell all my little ships one by one to keep the big bird flying! Okay probably not but people starting cargo runs with a Hull E at the start of the game is probably unrealistic at least not without help.

My biggest issue for the carrack is if finding x by exploring gives reward y then what exploring can only the carrack do? I.e. all the other ships can also get reward y, so the little ships will be more profitable wont they?

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
How could you forget your most trusty co-pilot!? I feel abandoned.
I didn't forget you. I was merely going over the financials of my affairs. I dont plan to pay you a damn dime. I figure you will get your salary raiding my space-fridge and the corpses we produce. (It will cost as much as a crew member's salary to keep the beer stocked anyways)

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I didn't forget you. I was merely going over the financials of my affairs. I dont plan to pay you a damn dime. I figure you will get your salary raiding my space-fridge and the corpses we produce. (It will cost as much as a crew member's salary to keep the beer stocked anyways)
You're damn right it'll cost that much to keep it stocked. I'm like a fish.

Forgot your password?