Theorycrafting the Carrack

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I....just wanted to mention a post by @Rolo in this thread: https://testsquadron.com/threads/pu-2-5-0-hangar-does-anybody-know-where-the-item-port-for-the-starfarer-is.8682/

This is what he wrote:

Some trivia to help get you hyped.

The Jumbo (orange) R&Y originally barely fit the SF. Now it has perhaps 20m more room.
The jumbo port in the R&Y was a ship size 5 port... now it is a Ship Size 5-6 port.

What upcoming ship is a little bit longer than the Starfarer [edit: around the 123m mark... ] and may soon be hangar ready?

Anyone?

Anyone?

And? What is your hype train saying...?

Reactions: Blind Owl

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Given the popularity of the Carrack generally I like many will be looking forward to seeing how it turns out and just as importantly what sort of game play it has (The rover is nice but a lot of ships can carry a dragonfly which seems to have similar gameplay). Just how different (better) will it be than the other explorers? I know it will be more independent but is that all?

Anyways just a little salty at the moment whilst the Caterpillar looks amazing why is it so underarmed in base hauler format compared to a constellation or fuel truck? The starfarer looks very overgunned. I never expected drake to sell it as a gun ship and turrets are currently shite so its basically currently defenceless completely and even if turrets end up working it is armed very lightly. So heh what salt if any will come from the carrack reveal hopefully sometime in 2017. If you take the cat out into CU at the moment with no NPCs to hire you have no fire power at all and mates in turrets will kill what exactly. (Yeah roll on 2.6 I know Alpha is for testing!).

So I think the developers need to know if turrets will work in the CU, where the pilot is not throwing the ship around madly trying to aim some front firing guns. Even so the caterpillar looks like it will be in a tough fight against a HULL c. (yes there maybe modules same for hull c and dragonflys have very small pop guns but no one would want to be on a dragonfly in a ship to ship fight. Anything else is better.)

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
The Carrack is almost as big as the Polaris just 32m shorter so I would love to see the hangar on it big enough to fit a Hornet-R or a 315p would be perfect scout ship for it I think. I do have the 3D models of all ships current state but need a proper reference point to measure what ship could possibly fit in it corectly in 3D program and that I don't have yet. It might change some more before final release to so.. gues we have to wait and see Edit: I would be equal happy if only size like the 85X fit in too

:smile:

And for gameplay as I understand it the Carrack will be the only explorer ship that can make its own jump points and make maps of it, if so the player chose to sell the info or keep it for them self will precent a interesting gameplay.

Last edited:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The Carrack is almost as big as the Polaris just 32m shorter so I would love to see the hangar on it big enough to fit a Hornet-R or a 315p would be perfect scout ship for it I think. I do have the 3D models of all ships current state but need a proper reference point to measure what ship could possibly fit in it corectly in 3D program and that I don't have yet. It might change some more before final release to so.. gues we have to wait and see Edit: I would be equal happy if only size like the 85X fit in too

And for gameplay as I understand it the Carrack will be the only explorer ship that can make its own jump points and make maps of it, if so the player chose to sell the info or keep it for them self will precent a interesting gameplay.
There will be 100 systems at launch (who knows in time) and maybe there are 5 jump points in each system (unlikely) so that's 500 jump points to find (yes some will decay but even so note I have counted in the enemy occupied systems to as if you can explore them!!!). It doesn't sound like much.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth

where did you see it could make its own jump points? I just want to make sure I didn't miss the memo.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
where did you see it could make its own jump points? I just want to make sure I didn't miss the memo.
You didn't. There will be temporary jump points, but no ship can make its own. Perhaps they meant *map*, not make. We do know the carrack is intended for jump point scouting and exploration, so mapping new jump points seems like a likely application for the ship.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
wasn't a memo I used logic! ;)

What I ment it can map it's own jump point, I might confused the hole thing meaning quantum jump since it have the dedicated computer core for jump charting operations and a mapping-oriented sensor suite. I asume it can then keep track of jump points and make note of places as jump point into maps, that is not charted in a sence making it's own jump point. Like you have com array 275 jump point it's a fixe jump point and charted but as I learned in PU now I know how to blind jump to some time take a short cut to a array or for instant HEX. Since I ain't a criminal it isn't avail as a jump point, but with a Carrack I could make it a jump point upon araival that I could use for later jump directly with charting a map hence making it's own jump point..
But shore my asumpition how a dedicated computer core for jump charting operations and a mapping-oriented sensor suite work could be totaly wrong. But I went with most logical use for it.
;)
Edit: and as far as I know this is only ship so far that have that ability ;)

Quote from RSI homepage:
Anvil Carrack – The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years. Featuring reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, a highly advanced jump drive array and a dedicated computer core room that allows it to put the maximum processing power into jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use as a pathfinder spacecraft. Features on-board accommodations to allow for truly self-sufficient flight, including crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite capable of always charting a route home!

Last edited:

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
wasn't a memo I used logic! ;)

What I ment it can map it's own jump point, I might confused the hole thing meaning quantum jump since it have the dedicated computer core for jump charting operations and a mapping-oriented sensor suite. I asume it can then keep track of jump points and make note of places as jump point into maps, that is not charted in a sence making it's own jump point. Like you have com array 275 jump point it's a fixe jump point and charted but as I learned in PU now I know how to blind jump to some time take a short cut to a array or for instant HEX. Since I ain't a criminal it isn't avail as a jump point, but with a Carrack I could make it a jump point upon araival that I could use for later jump directly with charting a map hence making it's own jump point..
But shore my asumpition how a dedicated computer core for jump charting operations and a mapping-oriented sensor suite work could be totaly wrong. But I went with most logical use for it.
;)
Edit: and as far as I know this is only ship so far that have that ability ;)

Quote from RSI homepage:
Anvil Carrack – The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years. Featuring reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, a highly advanced jump drive array and a dedicated computer core room that allows it to put the maximum processing power into jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use as a pathfinder spacecraft. Features on-board accommodations to allow for truly self-sufficient flight, including crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite capable of always charting a route home!

Yes, Quantum and Jump Points Two different animals. Quantum jumps can be blind and limited to within a Solar system. Jump Points specific phenomina that requires a Jump Drive to pass through, these are the "tunnels". Finding a JP is what the Carrack does best. i don't believe any statements have been made about actually Making JP's.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Well since this was harder to understand than I thought, so let me try to clarify the predicament we got ourselves into LMAO :laughing:

I don't mean it can creat actual physicle jump poins whether it is QJ or JP it can creat point/dots/marks mapping and keep map of points data, info, routes where they are and how to get to them, hence creating it's own jump point and it is not refered to actual making physic QJ/JP

Short Example: I find a some what safer but longer rute around a system with QJ but it keep me away from beeing discovered or attacked so it would make the rute faster. The Carrack can keep record of that route and return to that exact route over and over with out there is a official actual premade/maped destination jumps to go on much like a series of blind jump. As the carrack map them and the route it will have it's own jump points and again not creating actual physic one just the record of a series of jump point making up a route...
An interpretive matter how you perceive the word jump point, the word jump point mean more than just one physic thing.

So maby I should have said:
"it can make record of the QJ it make meaning doing the jump not as in producing it, and JP it find and store the data info as a visual map so it can repet the jumps over and over".....

Insted of the shorter: "it can make/map its own jump point" hmm... me bad :confused:

Hope this clear it up what I mean with "it can make it's own jump points". ( again not actual physic jump points just a data record of the jump )

Cheers :beer::beers::beers::beer::beer: :yum: :wink:

Last edited:

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
To be honest I hope they allow the Carrack to map jump points without have to jump through one. Otherwise a mapping oriented sensor suite is exactly what the 315P has. SO what then sets the Carrack apart? You have my guess. Just my 2 cents.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
To be honest I hope they allow the Carrack to map jump points without have to jump through one. Otherwise a mapping oriented sensor suite is exactly what the 315P has. SO what then sets the Carrack apart? You have my guess. Just my 2 cents.
I think that's what the intention was for the Carrack, was it not? To be able to map without jumping through?

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Yea that is exactly what I think it's supose to be able to do. hence what I call creating it's own jump point as in maping them puting points on a map where they are ( not actualy creating a physic jump point but finding them) or finding a safe route thrugh a system or between systems and/or finding resources and maping all that data/info for own use or sell/trade for money.

Edit : yea you have the 315p the DUR the Herald the Terrapin the Hornet R the Mustang Beta all this ship can track resources in different ways but I think the Carrack is like the Rolls Royce of the explorer ships to do this. Which also can carry a significant amount of cargo for extreme long journies or just to hull some cargo and find a safe way using it's technical resources to do it.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?