This dude.......

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
There's been talk of changing it.
<snip>
taking away their immunity as platforms, and instead treating them like publishers, completely responsible and liable for everything that they host..
Ok, this is clearly a case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

The "Safe Harbor" provision gives (limited) immunity to both ISP's and content providers, as long as they act with reasonably good faith with certain provisions of the law, like, DMCA violations, and other postings by people, such as libelous stuff, threats, etc.

If you took that away...made sites like Facebook & Twitter responsible for all the bat-shit crazy stuff that people posted...it would have the complete opposite effect, nobody would want to allow anything to be posted, because they would be just as liable as the bat-shit crazy person who posted the threat, the libelous statement, or the copyright violation (the movie, the song, etc.)

The overall effect would be, nobody would allow anything the least bit controversial to be posted on the net.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
Ok, this is clearly a case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

The "Safe Harbor" provision gives (limited) immunity to both ISP's and content providers, as long as they act with reasonably good faith with certain provisions of the law, like, DMCA violations, and other postings by people, such as libelous stuff, threats, etc.

If you took that away...made sites like Facebook & Twitter responsible for all the bat-shit crazy stuff that people posted...it would have the complete opposite effect, nobody would want to allow anything to be posted, because they would be just as liable as the bat-shit crazy person who posted the threat, the libelous statement, or the copyright violation (the movie, the song, etc.)

The overall effect would be, nobody would allow anything the least bit controversial to be posted on the net.
I guess the doctor strangelove reference didn't land.

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
Speaking of publishers and NN,

THE GOOD CENSOR: Google Briefing Admits Censorship Makes It Akin to a ‘Publisher’

The briefing admits that this new role is more commonly associated with the role of “publisher” and “editor” than that of a platform.

What Is Google's Stance On Net Neutrality?

Since 2010, Google has largely been silent in the ongoing net neutrality debate. However, in 2014, it did sent out a message to all of its "Take Action" subscribers strongly supporting net neutrality and advocating that the FCC enforce net neutrality rules.

Like I said, when the people telling you to adopt their policies in order to keep the internet free are also on the front lines of deciding what you can and can't say online, you ought to take pause.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I can see Google being more akin to being a publisher. But not sure how they have any capacity to decide what you can and can't say online. While it is true they can limit what you can and can't say on their service it doesn't limit your ability to say what ever you want. Much like my writing an article about flying spaghetti monster and how it proves we are going to be going into another ice age with in 10 years and submit it to the Journal of Environmental Sciences and then complain they are censoring my free speech, a direct correlation can also be applied to web publishers like google and Facebook limiting what gets said on their platform. Don't like them taking down your content them create your own platform host your own service and then you are free to dictate your own terms and conditions.

While Net Neutrality does have the potential of limiting the content you as a user have access to publishers do not have the ability to limit you from partaking in any content you want. In fact the dark web quickly shows that even governments cannot truly limit you from gaining access to what ever content you wish. And this is how it should be.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I can see Google being more akin to being a publisher. But not sure how they have any capacity to decide what you can and can't say online. While it is true they can limit what you can and can't say on their service it doesn't limit your ability to say what ever you want.
I see Google more like a Park Keeper.

They make the park, tending the lawns, trimming the hedges, keeping the trees healthy, improving the paths. It is a nice park. They open the gates in the morning and close the gates at night, they empty the bins and occasionally have to tell people to keep off the grass or pick up their dogs poop. They don't have to be there all the time for people to enjoy the park, and punks can come along and spoil the park without their realizing and then they have to clear up that mess and make everything nice again too.

More like a Park Keeper than a publisher, as a publisher usually vets what is published via Editors, unless they are very very bad at publishing whereas park keepers don't have any obligation to vet who attends the park or what they necessarily do in the park.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I see your point and it is valid. As much as Google and others try to vet what gets published by algorithms and their users self policing its not nearly as controlled as what is accomplished with printed press.

But I would counter that from a legal standpoint Google is far closer to being a publisher and are allowed to let in or deny whom ever they please then a park which is open to the public and should not discriminate against individuals based upon who they are.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers.Plato
Our object in the construction of the state is the greatest happiness of the whole, and not that of any one class - Plato 😉

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?