Travel Time By The Noobifier

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I know this is technical stuff and I will lose some likes for posting it.

View: https://youtu.be/PnXB0wVEtto

There is some good conversation here on the same subject.

View: https://youtu.be/ZKqPK56FsHU?t=18m32s

Damn it all... Maybe I do need a Carrack?
Checking my fleet... Checking my wallet...
Loose likes? LOOSE Likes?!? It's Noobifier. He's Canadian, he's a soldier, and he makes awesome content. I'd Multilike if I could.
There. 1 like. Owl and Squatch are probably good for a couple more, so don't go filling up the tub and saying your goodbyes just yet :P
Also both Canadian, also both soldiers. Unfortunately the only content we make is shitposting. Ha. Oh well. Push with the cock you got I guess.

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
One of the things I like best about DCS is the IRL travel time between way-points. Even in Elite Dangerous, before I became tired of the grind, I enjoyed planning my way around a system that had a planet 100k+ Ls from the main star while exploring. needless to say, I got a lot of reading done while playing ED. It seems like Star Citizen will take that one step further by allowing the player, especially on multi crew ships, to do other tasks as mentioned in the Noob's commentary. I have this idea in my head of using the down-time during a long flight to finalize plans of operation for whatever mission is at hand. Alternately, if just aimlessly traversing space, allowing the player to get out of the pilot seat and, say, preform some cartography from previously collected data. It all seems like an interesting mechanic to combat the grinding that ED has become. It also provides a new level of skill that will be required to operate with corporate efficiency. I like the idea pf playing in a QRF role, however, if it takes 45+ minutes to react to a threat that an element has encountered- well, what's the point? Now, if you know that you are going to be too far from any support, you better plan accordingly. This seems, in my mind, to also help the economy in needing to contract tactical and/or logistical support in order to be successful in any long-range operation.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
As the Noobifier said, more casual gamers wouldn't like longer travel times. I like some long travel times and a huge world map. However, thinking about it, more casual gamers could possibly prefer the more densely populated systems for shorter travel times. It'd be like the difference between rural areas and city areas, there's less distance and less travel time between people and structures in urban settings vs rural. If they want to be a criminal, they could go to a system that's the "Detroit" or "Chicago" systems of the UEE, a big city with more crime than cops. There'd be a lot around close by and less security. Casual players could potentially just pick the type of system to fit their play style.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Loved the video...

And I love Time...

But i've been thinking about something...

Namely the time dilation effect caused by Relativity...

So, you stand on earth and look through a telescope at someone travelling 0.2 in Qauntum. They are moving strangely slowly, 20% slower to be exact. This is because the closer you get to lightspeed, the slower time travels for you. If it takes 1 light-year to get from A to B at lightspeed, the people travelling will feel like they got there instantaneously, however their friends at home have lived a whole year without them.

So if it takes 10mins to get somewhere at QD speeds, A player travelling at QD and the clocks on the ship travelling at 0.2 would only experience 8mins, but the game would have to pass 10 mins...

Erm... I don't think there is any way Star Citizen can recreate time dilation without a time-machine though.

Forgot your password?