Trump plans meeting with video game makers to discuss gun violence

HeadClot

Grand Admiral
May 29, 2014
RSI Handle
HeadClot88
Hey Test - I seldom post politics here. But I want to post this as this covers something we all enjoy.

https://www.techspot.com/news/73530-trump-plans-meeting-video-game-makers-discuss-gun.html

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/2/17071586/trump-video-game-violence-summit-esa-gun-control

Trump did not invite the ESA, ESRB, or any major companies such as Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, etc. let alone any indie publishers such as Digital Devolver. This has the writing on the wall of video games are the new Satan.

The meeting is supposed to happen next week. Even if the meeting was next week I doubt anyone would attend as everyone in the industry is getting ready for Game Dev Conference 2018. Which happens at the end of march.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Why does this thread title feel like someone took random newspaper clippings and dropped them over a fan and saw what stuck to the wall?
The wall will be built by video games and guns are going to pay for it. Find out how you can do your part by protesting in China. Russia. The White House made Twitter today about CNN's new SJW Alex Jones from the Far-North group Anteater.

HeadClot

Grand Admiral
May 29, 2014
RSI Handle
HeadClot88
His words from 2012.

Also a study - https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00174/full

The reason I posted about this is that... well this is my lively hood that trump is messing with I make games to pay the bills. My guess is that trump will be talking to his brother who is on the board of Zenimax Media. The owners of Bethesda Softworks.

https://www.zenimax.com/about

Look for Robert S. Trump in the about.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
It is fascinating how much Trump gets done in the law side and the policy stuff while everyone is busy arguing about his latest Tweet. It's classic misdirection.
I keep telling people to take a look at the Art of War and similar works about grasping and maintaining power just for this reason. Bush and Trump both feign ignorance but in all reality are highly intelligent businessmen and politicians. I call Trump a politician because as soon as he said he would run for Presidency and even before then in the planning stages, he knew what he was getting into. Every president is a megalomaniac at worst or have a simple thirst for power at the least. They all play from the same playbook when it comes to public relations and societal thought manipulation. Their actions, their outcomes, their perceptions, all plays from a playbook that's been fine tuned over millennia.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Okay, lets look at it from a totally impartial point of view, lets pretend to be someone with no interest in guns and no interest in video games:

We'll use logic on it.

If censoring video games makes public shootings go down, yes he has a point.

If NOT censoring video games makes public shootings go up, yes he has a point.

So lets look to somewhere that has gun control and strict video game censorship, and see if we can work out if video games cause gun violence: Australia.

Australia restricted Guns in 1996 in response to the Port Arthur mass shooting. They have not had a mass shooting since.

Australia has strict censorship in video games, look at this list of banned games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games_in_Australia

But looking at that list and the reasons for bans, Gun Crime is rarely an issue - the majority of instances are sex crime or gory violence... No game was ever banned or censored because it used guns. Look at the notable games which are available in Australia uncencored:

http://censoredgames.wikia.com/wiki/Notable_games_released_uncensored_in_Australia

This includes the GTA series, and although not on the list would you believe the Terrorist Airport Shooting of Civilians level in Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 was also classified and went on sale uncensored in Australia.

So some very violent gun-crime related games got through to the public in Australia, however their gun-crime levels are still low.

So NOT censoring gun use in video games has not caused a noticeable uplift in gun crime, but regulating guns HAS had a noticeable and long term effect.

So... Other than Gun Control, what could have caused that?

DISCLAIMER - This is not the Guns. Good or Bad? thread, so lets not distract ourselves with that argument. This is the Video Games: Causes gun violence? thread so lets stay on topic.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Sorry It feels that way. I really needed to vent. :(
Don't apologise for saying whats on your mind. Lets us all have a jolly good chat about whatever it is.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I am sorry you can not buy that video game it's too dangerous, but you can have a gun if you want. Infact why not have a handgun, and a semi automatic rifle for good measure?

Now try not to kill anyone please.

America is fucking mad :|

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
DISCLAIMER - This is not the Guns. Good or Bad? thread, so lets not distract ourselves with that argument. This is the Video Games: Causes gun violence? thread so lets stay on topic.
Oh you done messed up now A-A Ron.

America is fucking mad :|
When someone has opposing views, thinking they are crazy accomplishes what exactly? You have no idea what American culture is like so assuming your position is correct and anything else is ludicrous, that in itself is just absurd. Take a look at the link below, it's just a bunch of statistics and research from a company who provides information to help in this debate.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy.html

StdDev

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 16, 2017
RSI Handle
StdDev
Blaming video games and movies is a continuation of the misdirection tactic being used by those who would sacrifice the 1st Amendment of the constitution on the altar of the 2nd. And as usual, it does absolutely nothing to resolve the problem at hand but rather seeks to place a blame for the problem somewhere. Video games have already been deemed as "protected" under the 1st amendment by the supreme court.
I am a gun owner. I have MANY guns. ... but times are changing.. something has to be done about keeping guns out of the hands of people who would use them to kill.
A Ban of guns is also a form of misdirection... it seems to presuppose that killing fellow human beings is a natural thing and that having guns available only serves to facilitate this "natural occurrence". The only solution that makes any sense to me is to screen potential gun owners for signs that they might be a danger to others (background checks). This would then bring up the subject of "what are the conditions going to be that would lable someone as unfit to posses a firearm"?... and who is going to make these assessments?

Forgot your password?