CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
Looks like donations for the month are well over quota. I'm hoping we get a Vanguard to add to the Org hangar.

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
The more I think about this I've come to accept that the vanguard isn't the ship I though it was going to be.

I was imagining something a little bigger than the gladiator, barely room for 2 with just enough space for bunk beds/escape pods, with a shower/toilet and small kitchen unit opposite.

But given the price they've announce and the fact that they are assuring that it has been priced fairly, now I'm thinking that this will be a larger ship, almost up to cutlass size. Still with little free space, but perhaps with some of the space inside dedicated to a missile loader like we saw on the 'lancer MIS.

CIG aren't making a 'super-duper hornet' by Aegis Dynamics here, which I feel is what a lot of people expected, but instead producing something completely new. I guess we'll find out for sure later this week, but I've actually started getting hyped again after the dehype from the price announcement.

Reactions: JBWill and Eliyahu

Eliyahu

Space Marshal
Feb 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Eliyahu2
The more I think about this I've come to accept that the vanguard isn't the ship I though it was going to be.

I was imagining something a little bigger than the gladiator, barely room for 2 with just enough space for bunk beds/escape pods, with a shower/toilet and small kitchen unit opposite.

But given the price they've announce and the fact that they are assuring that it has been priced fairly, now I'm thinking that this will be a larger ship, almost up to cutlass size. Still with little free space, but perhaps with some of the space inside dedicated to a missile loader like we saw on the 'lancer MIS.

CIG aren't making a 'super-duper hornet' by Aegis Dynamics here, which I feel is what a lot of people expected, but instead producing something completely new. I guess we'll find out for sure later this week, but I've actually started getting hyped again after the dehype from the price announcement.
Same, sticker shock hit me first and now I imagine it will be something completely unexpected and awesome!

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
250... dear god. Value is out the window at this point, CIG is a business and they know they can sell this thing at a ridiculous price. Depending on how this goes, it could either be an indication of bad businesses practices and power creep or just bad labeling. For 20 dollars more, you could have a retaliator. This ship had better be more like a weaponized constellation than a fighter, if you can dogfight effectively with this thing, even the superhornet could be unseated. SH is OP enough, we don't need something so good it makes everything else irrelevant.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
The only way I think that the Vanguard can be a good value AND balanced is to make it a Heavy Fighter, emphasis on heavy.

Make it decently fast (not as fast as Hornet/Cutlass), make it turn slowly, but give it a very good amount of firepower. Turns like a sack of bricks, but hits like a truck.

Something like this:

might work at keeping the Hornet as a viable dogfighter (having enough armament to threaten a Vanguard, while being faster and more maneuverable at it) while making the Vanguard a hard hitting, tough, but large and relatively slow fighter.

Stormtrooper

Lieutenant
Jan 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Storm-Trooper
Depending on how this goes, it could either be an indication of bad businesses practices and power creep or just bad labeling.
I have been fearing this for the past couple of months, the ammount of ships being sold as concept etc, i´m really not a fan of that. Im glad they stopped with the Stretch goals and things, i assume they have enough money for the development of the game as for now, if they start getting concerned over money, then sure, go on make sales since you dont have a big company backing you up.

These sales have been only getting negative attention towards Star Citizen from my point of view. If they want to continue selling these ships, i think the best idea is to just sell the "cheaper ones". Not these 200+ things that gets everyone doubting if it´s worth it or not.

Reactions: Dalarast

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
In case anyone missed it, INN apparently got some inside info on the Vanguard which they talked about on their weekly podcast thing: http://imperialnews.network/2015/03/innside-verse-episode-6/ (10:50 in)

tl;dr transcript: According to their source (he says not someone from CIG, but a trusted source), the Vanguard is actually probably more worth $250 than the Redeemer. The thing is a "beast" with an awesome design. If it was to be compared to a real world plane in terms of scale it'd be like a B25; it's a big ship with lots and lots of firepower. It's designed to be able to unleash hell on enemies. Allegedly the design itself is so awesome it makes it worth the $250, but then the rest of it lives up to that price tag as well.

From that description, it sounds like it might be even bigger than I was expecting (and I was expecting it to be fairly big, 30-32m or so), but it's also like third hand information so we'll see. If it lives up to that description, there's a very real chance that my Redeemer suddenly disappears as soon as the Vanguard goes on sale.

Last edited:

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
In case anyone missed it, INN apparently got some inside info on the Vanguard which they talked about on their weekly podcast thing: http://imperialnews.network/2015/03/innside-verse-episode-6/ (10:50 in)

tl;dr transcript: According to their source (he says not someone from CIG, but a trusted source), the Vanguard is actually probably more worth $250 than the Redeemer. The thing is a "beast" with an awesome design. If it was to be compared to a real world plane in terms of scale it'd be like a B25; it's a big ship with lots and lots of firepower. It's designed to be able to unleash hell on enemies. Allegedly the design itself is so awesome it makes it worth the $250, but then the rest of it lives up to that price tag as well.

From that description, it sounds like it might be even bigger than I was expecting (and I was expecting it to be fairly big, 30-32m or so), but it's also like third hand information so we'll see. If it lives up to that description, there's a very real chance that my Redeemer suddenly disappears as soon as the Vanguard goes on sale.
Now I want it even more.

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex
I have been fearing this for the past couple of months, the ammount of ships being sold as concept etc, i´m really not a fan of that. Im glad they stopped with the Stretch goals and things, i assume they have enough money for the development of the game as for now, if they start getting concerned over money, then sure, go on make sales since you dont have a big company backing you up.

These sales have been only getting negative attention towards Star Citizen from my point of view. If they want to continue selling these ships, i think the best idea is to just sell the "cheaper ones". Not these 200+ things that gets everyone doubting if it´s worth it or not.

With a name like that I can only fathom one response..

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
The only way I think that the Vanguard can be a good value AND balanced is to make it a Heavy Fighter, emphasis on heavy.

Make it decently fast (not as fast as Hornet/Cutlass), make it turn slowly, but give it a very good amount of firepower. Turns like a sack of bricks, but hits like a truck.

Something like this:

might work at keeping the Hornet as a viable dogfighter (having enough armament to threaten a Vanguard, while being faster and more maneuverable at it) while making the Vanguard a hard hitting, tough, but large and relatively slow fighter.

In response to all the Vanguard talk, work on the Super duper Hornet MIS will be out for $250

* found this on google, and this is a joke... i hope

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
I'd place money down that it's a three seater. A nimble three seater.
I'm still expecting 2, personally. Though it sounds like it's going to be a larger ship, I'm expecting it to be pretty compact and utilitarian compared to many of those we've seen thus far, since it'll really be the first purely combat ship we've seen with actual interior/living space. Between the solid construction and the heavy armament, I expect there won't be much room for accommodations.

That said, I wouldn't complain if it took 3. Then I could melt my Redeemer for and still have something I can cruise around in with more than one friend.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I'm considering upgrading my 325a LTI to a Gladius and melting my other Gladius (no LTI) to help buy a Vanguard. Maybe melt my Avenger? No, I should save that to turn into something LTI.

Forgot your password?