VANGUARD THIS WEEK! - Maybe

Groundstain

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Groundstain
In case anyone missed it, INN apparently got some inside info on the Vanguard which they talked about on their weekly podcast thing: http://imperialnews.network/2015/03/innside-verse-episode-6/ (10:50 in)

tl;dr transcript: According to their source (he says not someone from CIG, but a trusted source), the Vanguard is actually probably more worth $250 than the Redeemer. The thing is a "beast" with an awesome design. If it was to be compared to a real world plane in terms of scale it'd be like a B25; it's a big ship with lots and lots of firepower. It's designed to be able to unleash hell on enemies. Allegedly the design itself is so awesome it makes it worth the $250, but then the rest of it lives up to that price tag as well.

From that description, it sounds like it might be even bigger than I was expecting (and I was expecting it to be fairly big, 30-32m or so), but it's also like third hand information so we'll see. If it lives up to that description, there's a very real chance that my Redeemer suddenly disappears as soon as the Vanguard goes on sale.

If your Redeemer has LTI. I would suggest making a profit off of it on the grey market. :) Yes, I also may lose several ships in my fleet on that day.

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
If your Redeemer has LTI. I would suggest making a profit off of it on the grey market. :) Yes, I also may lose several ships in my fleet on that day.
It does, but I bought it by melting a Connie, so no dice there. Otherwise I would :)

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
It does, but I bought it by melting a Connie, so no dice there. Otherwise I would :)

Same boat with all my ships, I melted and upgraded my ships as I was getting addicted to SC
In hindsight, if I had just bought the ships out right I would have had the option to sell or trade.

Flashwit

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Flashwit
I have been fearing this for the past couple of months, the ammount of ships being sold as concept etc, i´m really not a fan of that. Im glad they stopped with the Stretch goals and things, i assume they have enough money for the development of the game as for now, if they start getting concerned over money, then sure, go on make sales since you dont have a big company backing you up.

These sales have been only getting negative attention towards Star Citizen from my point of view. If they want to continue selling these ships, i think the best idea is to just sell the "cheaper ones". Not these 200+ things that gets everyone doubting if it´s worth it or not.
Meh, the negative attention is silly though. No one is forcing anybody to buy these ships. The answer is to just not spend money on it. If people stopped buying them they would stop putting them up for sale.

Stormtrooper

Lieutenant
Jan 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Storm-Trooper
Meh, the negative attention is silly though. No one is forcing anybody to buy these ships. The answer is to just not spend money on it. If people stopped buying them they would stop putting them up for sale.
It´s silly, but it is damaging to Star Citizen´s public image as well, and that´s not really good to have, in one moment being the savior of PC gaming, and the next being considered a fraud and a scam.

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
It´s silly, but it is damaging to Star Citizen´s public image as well, and that´s not really good to have, in one moment being the savior of PC gaming, and the next being considered a fraud and a scam.
Eh, the "scam" stigma will disappear pretty quick once it's actually released. It's not as if this community is small and CIG really needs more people's money at the moment, I'm not particularly worried (and I doubt CIG is either).

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
the scam stigma disappears once people get into it and have their hands on the game. The fact is, the dogfight module is currently one of the most fun space sims out there, and it's only a tiny facet of the game. The only people who are really worried about it are those who don't have ships, and the majority of big-ticket purchases are by long-time owners anyway. The people scared of a scam will gleefully hop into star citizen when it releases, and we are in no danger of them running out of funds.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
"Specifically designed to operate from planetary bases and engage targets up to a star system’s distance, the fighter trades some maneuverability for an extended supply of fuel and munitions as well as basic survival accommodations for a pilot and radar operator." -Bulldog stretch goal

You got it right
I'd wager it's an actual set of tiny quarters, but technically it could totally be just a crapper built into the ejection seat, a recline option, and a mini fridge with MREs and beer, and it'd count as "basic survival accomodations"

Of course, if it *is* a tiny kitchen and sleeping area, it's only gonna rile up the 'tali fans again for their lack of a crew mess.

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
Additional Vangaurd intel (veracity unknown): http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/12673-aegis-vanguard-twin-engine-deep-space-fighter/page-9#entry251776

I have actually seen the concept 3d model. Gurmac (designer of the carrak) was working on it when I had a tour of Santa Monica. It looks very much like a smaller retaliator with folding wings for combat and the same bomb shield he put on the carrak. I didn't like the pointy lawn dart nose, however and told him so.

One cool aspect of the ship, the escape pod will be a two man affair. The gunner located in a rear turret and pilot will have their own access to the pod in the middle of the ship. The ship is also being designed with multiple redundant systems to make it possible to limp home.

-----

I wrote this while at work, now that i'm back at the hotel and had time to speak with Trak, who was also there with me , i'd like to add the following; It would seam in the past that concept ships would first be developed by a concept artist, this process would go through multiple iterations before CR would eventually sign off on it. Once this was done the new ship could be put up for a concept sale. With the Carrak and this new Vanguard, they have made some changes in that they are grey boxing and 3d designing the ship first, than producing some art work for its sale, which is followed up quickly with actual 3d designs as we saw with the Carrak.

I think this new ship will likely be on sale around April and likely be fast tracked to the hanger and AC, no later than a month later, depending on how it sells.

cheers
Later in the thread the guy compares the Vanguard's appearance to the F-111.

Edit: Ben's response: http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3092a4/a_player_who_visited_cig_describes_the_vanguard/cpqe83p

I wanted to drop in and clarify one thing: the tech design schedule is NOT based on which ship sells the most. We plan the marketing schedule to go with the needs of the game, not the other way around.

... and I'll also mention that the Vanguard has changed a lot just in the last few days. Some of this is accurate and a bunch isn't :)

Last edited:

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex
it could totally be just a crapper built into the ejection seat, a recline option, and a mini fridge with MREs and beer, and it'd count as "basic survival accomodations"
Youve basically described my gaming setup right there.

Dont know about you guys but I'm still going to buy a Vanguard LTI. Its going to be my #1 cruise the verse ship (apart from trading on my MM) since it'll be just like a connie. Except I hate people and NPC's, so.. its perfect!

Gladius will be my quick in pew pew glass cannon fighter.
Vanguard will be my freight train rolling through your front living room.

Last edited:

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
Dont know about you guys but I'm still going to buy a Vanguard LTI. Its going to be my #1 cruise the verse ship (apart from trading on my MM) since it'll be just like a connie. Except I hate people and NPC's, so.. its perfect!
That's pretty much my thought too. Largeish, lots of firepower, long range, and I don't have to find 4 other people or NPCs any time I want to take it out. Sounds like a perfect main ship to me. At this point my final decision hinges on actually seeing it; I don't buy ships that I don't like the looks of.

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex

From the looks

1x Nose Mount size 4, 2x engine guns size 1, 2x size 2 missile racks and 1x size 5 ontop

Last edited:
Forgot your password?