wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Recent dogfight with Sentinel inspired me to change my Warden's armament and see if it allows that heavy fighter to fight at close range.

The following is an equivalent to Sentinel's pilot weapons loadout, Size 4 gimbaled (pic #1) and Size 5 fixed (pic #2).
I've been flying with the fixed guns for a while, so I'd probably try the second option.

The main difference is 4 x ATVS Distortion Repeaters replacing 4 x MVSA Laser Cannons; ATVS has almost every parameter better, from longer range to higher firerate and larger DPS.
As for the main gun, Size 5 Attrition-5 Laser Repeater has shorter range, but it has much higher firerate and larger DPS (dropping at rate of 0.45 per 1 m though, beginning at 300m).

Please note that 2 x CF-227 and 8 x Thunderbolt III are part of my current custom loadout, which also includes CF-557 Galdereen Repeater.

---- Any thoughts?

[Update] Loadout test:

Warden_gimbaled_dps.jpg

Warden_max_dps.jpg

Sentinel default loadout for reference.
Due to the obvious reason, it is impossible to equip Warden with the EMP generator.

Sentinel_gimbaled_dps.jpg

MVSA vs. ATVS:

MVSAvsATVS.jpg

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I may have to play with this. I just loaded out my Sentinel, but have yet to try it. And of course, I can't remember what I loaded it out with, haha. I'll have to look at Erkul.

Reactions: wmk

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've not had any complaints about my Sentinel stock loadout it works really well, once the shields are down the Attrition does its job with no resistance.

But once the distortions are working the way they are eventually intended to, I'll run full distortion including the s5 chin mount. With DOASM an eventual thing, I aim to knock out assholes, not kill 'em. I don't need a cabal of butt-hurt ghosts haunting my every move through the 'verse.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
"Death Of A Space Man" the PU's Permadeath mechanic once it comes along. If dying is as inconvenient as it's supposed to be, as in a penalty for putting yourself in a position to be killed, even if the players I'm up against are asshats, I'm not out to ruin peoples game accounts and progress by killing them.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It's important you keep in mind the distortion repeaters are an improvement at taking down the shields only. If you don't want a live capture they make little sense.

I think the Sentinel is the perfect "all-range engagement" platform. It's the most multi-purpose fighter in game and that will only extend when the Harby and Hoppy modules can be fitted in. Here's what I recommend:

Sitting in blackout mode, the Sentinel has the lowest signature of any ship in game. The Idris will not be able to see it at 10 km, but it can launch 8 S3 and 5 S5 missiles from that range. Yeah, needs a wing to take on an Idris, but it can take on nearly anything smaller by itself, including a Hammerhead.

Missiles from 10-0 km. Laser from 7-0 km. 6 fast firing and fast to target ballistic gattlings, do damage from moment one--forget killing the shield first, and share the same pip as the M7A laser cannon, so you can use them all at once with ease. Inside 2.2 km, kill with the EMP if that's your choice--certainly faster and better han the distortion canons. Kill stuff after it passes you!

I think the Sentinel loadout above with the Harby torp package is going to prove one of the comonest rigs in game due to flexibility and effectiveness.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I've was running the 4 ATVS's and Size 4 Attrition (on a gimbal) on my Sentinel today doing the BH missions in the PU (so, just PVE).

The combo of the distortion + the S4 Attrition pretty much blasted any smaller ship (S1, like Gladius, Stalker, M50) on the first pass, so I didn't need to even bother EMP-ing them.

With the larger S2 ships (like the Cutlass) or a more maneuverable/jankier S1 ship (like a Bucc...the desynch sucks with them) they would usually survive the first pass, but on the second pass I would usually get one shield face down and then the EMP would totally take them out, and I would shoot them undisturbed until they exploded (didn't take long).

I didn't have time to work up to any larger ships. I was definitely going to try the S5 Attrition (so my Warlock can get the S4, and I'll just go with the 2 S3 distortion repeaters with that...).

So, yeah, go ahead and try it -- I think you will like it!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
You are promoted to what ever rank is one above the one you have now.
Supreme Sycophant?
So say we Owl?
He who speaks too much?
Prolific Poster of Nonsensical Musings?
Owl be back . . .to post again?

All are valid ranks, but it is not for me to choose. I am but humble cannon fodder for the great yellow and black machine.

Edit: "Blind Owl likes this!" - that's a rank, right?!

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
@wmk and others using attrition. I'd go with the fixed galdereen (or gimballed S4) instead for the simple reason that attrition is best at very very close range and when weapon reaches certain heat level without overheating.

So in a fight at 1-2km, prefer the galdereen, DPS will be consistent unlike with attrition.
Your vanguard is not a good dogfighter for point blank close range turn battles. It does not have the agility.

Besides noone would want to be in the range of the emp, so this doubles on the uselessness of the attrition for a Sentinel.

So a Warden pilot that want to mimic a Sentinel should do the same (moreover with the addition of sentinel BUK and central module when available in game).

Last edited:

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
@wmk and others using attrition. I'd go with the fixed galdereen (or gimballed S4) instead for the simple reason that attrition is best at very very close range and when weapon reaches certain heat level without overheating.

So in a fight at 1-2km, prefer the galdereen, DPS will be consistent unlike with attrition.
Your vanguard is not a good dogfighter for point blank close range turn battles. It does not have the agility.

Besides noone would want to be in the range of the emp, so this doubles on the uselessness of the attrition for a Sentinel /.../
I'm always using zoom and boom technique with my Warden and it works very well. However, it can't be used in all cases -- take our ad-hoc Sunday PVP with strangers as an example. A group of "pirates" attacked us during Test Dogfight Training. It took place in atmosphere, close to the ground, so there was no way to keep flying away, turning 180 deg and jousting one of the Sentinels being part of the group; another reason of staying at close range was to protect smaller Test fighters by distracting pirate Vanguards.

I had no other choice than to attempt to fight them back at close range -- but MSVAs have no spread, and similarly to Galdereen they have a slow rate of fire.

I'm thinking about Atrrition-5 because it has a very fast firerate, the same as ATVS, which also spreads pellets, as far as I know. So, my plan is to use Size 3 Thunderbolt missiles and ATVSs first, and then Attrition Repeater to...:
finish-him-png-95-images-in-collection-page-1-finish-him-png-178_178.png

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Recently I use my Vanguard basically nothing, but I found a combination of 4 GVSR and a single S5 M7A laser cannon preatty satisfactrory: the lasercannon, with a 6km range, give you the long reach to snipe target before you enter theyr range, while the 4 laser repeater provide a shredding amount of fire at close range and the amount of dmage they spit out is worth even on larger target.

I'm now thinking of sobstiture two of the GVRS with a couple of BRVS making a combination of laser and distortion damage: dostorsion whouldn't add actual damage to the pool, but should deal with shields istantly making the laser more "efficient" in dealing actual damage... at least on my theory, I sttill need to test it out.

I'd like to go sull ballistic, but the S2 nose option are both too limited in ammo count and we lack a decent S5 option: the only one is the Deathbolt V that totally lack range and doesn't even provide a significan damage output to compensate that...

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Recently I use my Vanguard basically nothing, but I found a combination of 4 GVSR and a single S5 M7A laser cannon preatty satisfactrory: the lasercannon, with a 6km range, give you the long reach to snipe target before you enter theyr range, while the 4 laser repeater provide a shredding amount of fire at close range and the amount of dmage they spit out is worth even on larger target.

I'm now thinking of sobstiture two of the GVRS with a couple of BRVS making a combination of laser and distortion damage: dostorsion whouldn't add actual damage to the pool, but should deal with shields istantly making the laser more "efficient" in dealing actual damage... at least on my theory, I sttill need to test it out. /.../
I forgot about GVSR... nice rate of fire and longer range than MVSA -- worth checking, thanks!
BRVS is a ballistic repeater though -- you are probably thinking about ATVS, distortion repeater I'm going to test.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I forgot about GVSR... nice rate of fire and longer range than MVSA -- worth checking, thanks!
BRVS is a ballistic repeater though -- you are probably thinking about ATVS, distortion repeater I'm going to test.
Yep, you'ra right... I keep confusing those nose weapons,no matter what I can get my head around those names....

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'd like to go full ballistic, but the S2 nose option are both too limited in ammo count and we lack a decent S5 option: the only one is the Deathbolt V that totally lack range and doesn't even provide a significant damage output to compensate that...
It's always going to be hard to connect S2 weapons velocities with S5. It's key to note the S2 Gattling connects with the S5 Laser Canon velocity and pips.

Go 4 X S2 Gattlings on the nose with the chin mount S5 S7A laser. Same pips! One pip to find them all and one pip to kill them. Every platform lament, and die against the mighty Vanguard.

Two stage trigger--first stage unleashes the mighty laser cannon for sniping. Squeeze a little more and the second stage unleashes 4 S2 Gattlings at 2.2 km range.

Kill things and take their treasure.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm about to test out the M7A combined with the BRVS.

Also the tobii eye tracker, because why not learn all the things at once, lol.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hey lads, what is the secret to mouse and keyboard fighting? If I recall, there's a key combo you can hit that helps with you r mouse looking? Gaaaa, I'm trying to get back into this but Jesus, controlling the ship in combat is a pain in the ass. The reticle moves, but the ship takes a while to follow it, which makes it freaking annoying trying to center on an enemy and shoot.

Any quick tips? I thought there was a shift + something that help[s with the auto-gimble and aiming, or something of the like, but I can't for the life of me remember, lol. Too much beer I reckon.

Reactions: Shadow Reaper
Forgot your password?