[Video] About that Origin sneak peek teaser. How about medium sized Origin ship?

invalidData

Commander
Jan 18, 2020
RSI Handle
invalidData
Is the Valk an awesome ship? I'm jntrigued.
It's basically a Space Black Hawk.
It can drop 20 Soldiers and an Ursa Rover to the front.
A ton of armored hull, 2 manned turrets (top, bottom), 2 remote turrets (sides), and a gatling gun on both deployment doors.
So yes, if you need a dropship it's awesome.
It's the mother of drop ships at the moment.
Maybe the Jupiter will change that.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
A ton of armored hull, 2 manned turrets (top, bottom), 2 remote turrets (sides), and a gatling gun on both deployment doors.
All of the above being said, it has 1 major flaw. There are no air tight doors separating the outer doors & the cockpit. So if somebody inside happens to open any of the doors in an area that doesn't have breathable air, then everybody better have their space gear & helmets on before that happens.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Alright, cool. Thank you for the info.
That wil be big... really BIG... like Retribution size big:
View attachment 15130
What's the ship between the Retribution and the Kingship?

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmmmmm, I thought it was another SC ship. Does look much like a SSD to me. Also, iirc, an SSD is 9000m long, isn't it?
Edit: 19,000m in length.
Hmm now you make me wander... I'm preattty sure it's a SW ship 'tho... other SC ship are smaller then that size: the Pegasus class even if sleaker in ssupopose to be shorter then the Bengal...

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Since they mention the ICC (Imperial Cartography Center), I would almost certainly suspect some sort of exploration ship.

I've thought about it some more since my initial reply, and I suspect it is more likely to be a high end exploration ship based on the 890J like the Kraken Privateer is based on the Kraken.

After looking at the price points for the various explorer ships out there (315 - 65, DUR - 135, Corsair - 215, Aquila - 310, 600i(e) - 475, Carrack - 600), it doesn't make sense to try and shoehorn a luxury explorer in at a lower price point than the 600i(e). The 600i is supposed to be as capable as the Aquila, while the 890 was supposed to be just as good as the 600i(e) as an explorer while also being a luxury yacht.

With that in mind, if Origin tried to shoehorn an exploration ship in between the 315 and the 600i(e), it would either be a DUR (35m) competitor/size, or maybe slightly larger at Connie/Corsair sized (50-60m). Capability wise, it would need to be less capable than the 600i, and better than the 315, but they would also add on the origin luxury tax. That would put it around 200-225 concept, 250-275 flight ready. I really don't see CIG charging less for an Origin ship that is the same size as an RSI ship, so this would take Connie sized out, leaving it at the 35-40m range for that price.

If they did that, I suspect it would be a 1-2 person craft (bunks for 2 max) and just enough cargo room to fit an origin bike. If it had more, it would run into competition with the Star Runner which is priced at 225. It would need to be on par with the DUR for exploration capability, but also have a very clean feel to it as opposed to the DUR's industrial feel. It could have 3-4 x S4 guns, but it would probably stick with 4xS2 or 4xS3 guns. However, looking at this type of ship, I am just not sure it would sell well. It's too close to the Star Runner in terms of size, and it would need to sacrifice cargo capacity and Data capacity for the Origin Luxury Tax. Any more expensive and you run into the Aquila price point and I am just not sure CIG would make any money off of it. People would either upgrade their DURs or upgrade their Aquilas.

However, there is also room at the top of the scale. The 890 has lot of room that can be converted/used for exploration similar to the way they converted the Kraken tot he Kraken Privateer. The whole bar and lounge, plus the swimming pool/spa could be removed and replaced with scanning stations, laboratories, a Stellar Cartography Room, and improved medical facilities. While it is restricted to medium or maybe even large sized jump points, it has a hangar that can hold a 315, which can be used to chart jump points that are smaller than the 890 can fit in. There is also the fact that a lot of people have either held off, or said they held off on buying the 890 because they wanted LTI. This is a way to tap that type of money. Since LTI would probably only be new money, it's a LOT of cash. Even if it was over 1k and they let you get LTI with credit, you are still talking a hundred or two (or even more) of new money every time someone melts their 890 and upgrades to the 890(e). A lot of these whales would even want both in their stable. With the Carrack out and at 600 usd, it's not a stretch to say that an origin ship of similar exploration capability would be priced at the insane amount of 1000-1200 or even more...because someone will pay it. For the Kraken Privateer, they used the same hull, changed some rooms, increased the price, and a bunch of people went nuts for it. We are also at the right time of year for a big ship. It's about 3-4 months after the end of year sales, there has not been a lot of big sales, but the Carrack has gotten a bit of money due to the new skin and the big price increase at flight ready. it's also about 6-7 months until the CitizenCon Sale, so it would allow people to get their wallets recharged by then, and finally, it's tax return/bonus season.

In any of the above cases, expect them to release a new origin pack with the 890 in it plus the rest of the Orign lineup, so that people can get the 890 with LTI.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm a lots of analysis into that consideration but I dno't feel any Origin explorer in the midium size range will conflict with the StarRunner.
The StarRunner is not ax exploration ship, is a cargo/data runner ship and is not capable of trasport a land veicle like the Ursa or the Tumbril (96 SCU like the Conny, but they are splittted in to section, so actual less space).
A medium size ship that can fit beteween the 300 series and the 600i is in facet missing in the Origin lineup and for people that whould like a mdium explorer ship, but hate the Conny look (as me for example...), it could be a nice addition.

An 890j (e) could be a really good ship: that beast have a lot o space and, as you say, that would be easy to convert into some laboratory, a bigger med bay or an Idrophonic farm... but it also require a lot of time to be implemented. It could be that they will sold a pure concept ship, but I've the feeling they are going for a shot-time development one maybe to be released flight ready, so I'm not leaning toward this option.

Forgot your password?