[Video] Montoya rips Sid Alpha a new one

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Nice video. But it seems someone rather than debate this, like Montoya did, decided to threaten SidAlpha and his family. Over a game?! Man, people these days. Opinions seem to be a bad thing....

No wonder people liken the following of this game to a cult. Death threats... Are you insane? I am amazed. There actually ARE people out there who's self-worth is directly tied to the existence of this game and any form of dislike and criticism is taken as a personal insult. Damn psychopaths.

And through their actions they give all of us a bad name. I really wish I was able to meet the person who did this... Have "a few words" with them in private...
Happens in most games but that doesn't mean it should happen here. Can you link me to the example I might need to roll up my sleeves and go educate some punks.

FeaturedSpace

Commander
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
FeaturedSpace

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Nice video. But it seems someone rather than debate this, like Montoya did, decided to threaten SidAlpha and his family.
Nobody from the Star Citizen community would do that.

The average backer here is a professional 27-35 yr old.

There is however one person, or a group of people that love seeing the Star Citizen community get bad press. Ill give you one guess.

Its very easy to claim you are a Star Citizen backer and then threaten somebody.

Who can it possibly be?

FeaturedSpace

Commander
Jun 5, 2018
RSI Handle
FeaturedSpace
See, no one even had to threaten him, just claiming it generates traffic and views. Best just ignore it and not give him the attention he is craving
I totally agree. If we all just made comments on those videos saying we heartily disagree with their statements and link Montoya's video, then we will most certainly overshadow the few Derek Smart's out there who believe it necessary to threaten people and their families...

Arcturos

Commander
May 21, 2018
RSI Handle
Ransford

There is however one person, or a group of people that love seeing the Star Citizen community get bad press. Ill give you one guess.

Its very easy to claim you are a Star Citizen backer and then threaten somebody.

Who can it possibly be?
Well, yes. Smart is more than capable of doing that given his record. In fact my first thought was - it might be none other than him or one of his goons that did such a thing.

There are also people who are saying SidAlpha faked the whole thing to get publicity. I certainly hope not because it's a rather disappointing act if true.

As for the age of the average backer - age is not a deciding factor for this kind of behavior. There is a fair share of unbalanced and outright retarded, moronic and crazy people in that age range you've given. I've met my fair share of people who are unable to take criticism or take things way too personally. So such people do exist and it's likely that there are such unhinged individuals among the Star Citizen community. We are not exempt from douchebags and aggressive people.

But Star Citizen isn't the only game with a community that has these kind of people in it. Every game has them. Loyal fanatics who have tied their whole self-worth to a video game and when someone attacks that game they feel personally offended - CoD fanbois, BF fanbois, PUBG fanbois. The list goes on and on.

Unfortunately people are ignoring that and focusing on Star Citizen because it's an easy target. It generates views to spit on this game. A sort of fad. As if anyone would gain anything if this game fails. That has always baffled me. Even if you don't like these types of games - there are people that do. Instead of being a petty individual wishing for something to fail say - "Hey, wish you luck. Hope you make it." Because in the end it benefits us all to have a large variety of games to play. But petty people be petty and shit so...

Reactions: StdDev

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
...There is however one person, or a group of people that love seeing the Star Citizen community get bad press. Ill give you one guess.

Who can it possibly be?
Just as I would ask Sidney Alpha to substantiate his opinions, I would respectfully ask we make sure we can substantiate our own claims. I'm not saying it didn't happen that way... But without being able to validate it people will always wonder did it happen that way or are we just accusing?

Don't copy the tactics of those that rile you - or they will rule you. And no one rules TEST.

Last edited:

MadGhost

Admiral
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
MadGhost
Good show I totally agree. I think from what I can see this will put gaming on a whole new level and I am still excited to be a part of what's to come. It's just folks need a reminder every now and then to be patient and we all know it's hard to be. Just like when you was a kid and you have that christmas package under the tree and just can't contain yourself and want to open it. Your one hell of a spokesperson. I am glad we have you as our lead.

Jasum

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Jasum
If he was threatened, then he should contact the authorities and CIG. Let them handle things and leave it at that
Exactly this ^

I'll take his word for it that someone threatened him, but releasing a video about it only encourages other nutjobs to do the same thing. Let the authorities handle it and don't give crazies the fame they're looking for.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Well, my comment is to note Montoya argues like a philosopher. Please consider this a compliment.

My correction and disagreement is, that if you really want to "rip someone a new one" you need to use much more emotionally inflaming language, like that Alpha is "obviously and stupidly wrong" or that when we want shit from him, we'll squeeze his head.

But you can go the nice guy route. . .works for me.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy

Who can it possibly be?
Damn I read this soooo poorly, I read "Some people, like Montoya did, decided to threaten him and his family" hahaha I was like "I certainly didn't that vibe from the video!".

I am glad I re-read it hahaha.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
This might clear things up. Still not a good reason to bash SC over a few nut jobs involved in backing it.
Wise celebrities of all sorts do not admit publicly when they are threatened since simple common sense dictates this will just cause more of the behavior you're seeking to avoid. If Sid had told the "proper authorities" about this issue, one supposes they would have warned him against any public attention like this, so I gotta call BS. I think this is a cover story for losing his temper, is all.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Wise celebrities of all sorts do not admit publicly when they are threatened since simple common sense dictates this will just cause more of the behavior you're seeking to avoid. If Sid had told the "proper authorities" about this issue, one supposes they would have warned him against any public attention like this, so I gotta call BS. I think this is a cover story for losing his temper, is all.
Yeah i listen to the video too and that was my first impression and thought this sound more like a cover story and by going public he put his family in even more risk/danger. There is nothing honorable in this kind of behavior it's just pure reckless and stupid.
( we all would protect our family like raging mad dogs that's in most peoples nature and it does not need to be told public )

If threaten you keep it as quiet as possible and let authorities deal with it and if taken things in own hands then shore as hell no one smart wouldn't go public about it. That would just be bollocks behavior....

And if a threat is real you let proper authorities deal with it or you're most likely just going to make it worse, but if your after attention and headlines sure go a head scream your head of about it..

Then.... ( We all know about the boy who cried wolf..... )

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
IMHO !

Why is so many referring it as a game as it is a finished product?.
It's a game in development and funded by the people who want to see a game like this.
They asked should we do this and many said yes go for it.
They said we can make it even better, shall we make it even better, most said yes make it the damn best space game ever.
Now that is what they are doing on demand from backers and by caring for what most backers want from this game wen it is finished...
That is why the original stretch goal got raised and raised...
We the backers are the one to blame it take longer then originally planed not CIG.
They are working their asses of to make the game we want and they don't work for free.
( do you work for free.. and any funny guy that says yes, well that is on you )

This is reason most seem to overlook or get tunnel vision when making complains, they ( CIG ) asked us as backer we said DO IT!
So what did some expect it to come out the next day ??

Gee... Get the info needed to have a opinion or the words don't mean nothing.

................. How hard can it be, really!
Just wanted to add some second thought I had to highlight some things many seem to overlook or just turn blind side to it...

First of..
No I am not a fanatic backer I just get the proper info before I judge....

So to the point...
It is free will to back or not if it fail so it fail, if not GREAT... Which ever you chose is your choice to back or not.
And for all the time it's been a project in the buying info you see when selecting to back the project.
If you take the time to read it, if not that is your own fault not theirs.
It tell you that you are about to back a game in development and things change constantly and a refund is not a valid option.
So if this is not what you want then don't push the buy (fund the game) button....

Your choice, if you regret it then you didn't bother to get all the info needed or think it through before backing and again not their fault it's on your own head... I for one knew what I was getting in to and yes that it might fail as it might be just what we hope the best damn space game ever...
But then only time can tell, right.!

So IMHO there is a lot a peps that should just go and do something else for a wile to get some perspective.

I for one love the bug hunting.. CHEERS! :beer::beers::beer::beers:

Reactions: Bambooza

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
4:00 "These devs are not working for cookies."
And even if they were, cookies actually cost money too. Shocking, I know, but just the other day a very big and angry looking guy stopped me from walking out of the store with a cart full of cookies and demanded I paid for them.

Forgot your password?