[Video] Montoya solves the P2W argument forever!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Well done once again.
The only thing i'd add to the P2W classic is the gray zone were even though an item can be won or gotten in game for free its chances are so significantly low as to be counted in the years. You especially see this in the mobile free gaming apps were they give you the game for free and you can play it with out putting in any cash but you reach a point were further progression is going to take years or cash.

In this way it is possible even hopefully unlikely Star Citizen could become pay to progress. Where the cost of ships are scaled so far over the potential profits that it takes years of significant player time investment to acquire the funds needed. (No including tests policy of drinking their profits and crashing their ships).

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
In this way it is possible even hopefully unlikely Star Citizen could become pay to progress.
I highly suspect that much like Elite Dangerous, once you find a lucrative way to make money, you will be able to repeat that action and get all the wealth you want!

The only question is, do you hit your goal in the first 6 months, or the first 12 months?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I highly suspect that much like Elite Dangerous, once you find a lucrative way to make money, you will be able to repeat that action and get all the wealth you want!

The only question is, do you hit your goal in the first 6 months, or the first 12 months?
Indeed. As for the time period it takes there are many published papers on it for if you make it to easy then the reward is trivialized and the players move on to something else. Make to difficult and the players give up and move on to something else.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ

I wouldn't base my economy decisions on elite dangerous. I just started up on PC and I've worked my way through 10% of available ships in 3 evenings of playing. By this rate in a month I could have all ships in the game. END GAME!!! I WON!!!!!

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Poor -- No money like me = Can never Win.
Can't Pay = Can't Win
(I have unlimited time)

Oh well, guess I should just quit now.
Hell NO...........I won't go.

This is the stupidest thing I have heard in games since the beginning.
SC is NOT a game ------ It is an Adventure.
There is nothing to win and never will be.

SC will change the gaming industry.. About time as well.

CityBoppin & BarHoppin

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
When i was young i was completly against paying something in a game. But you are right about this during that périod i could get back from work in my appartment sit at my PC and roll a 6h session a day + full weekend.

Now i got a family, 2 sons (they will hit 7 this month) a house, a garden a rabbit and a tons more stuff to deal with it !

I made a choice since my 2 sons birth. A simple one :" dont play video games during the day as your priority will always be family"

And since then my vision of paying to get something in game changed alot.

You know the feeling of beeing left behind because you dont run as fast as your friends. Regarding star citizen i know that i wont have have much time to enjoy the game as much as i would. And that is the very reason why i bough some ships. I didnt got them to go parade on day 1 saying hey look i got a better ship than you.

Honestly i will start with my avenger titan and when i have played enough with it and the missions will start to repeat to much themself then i will mouve out to the next one etc. Also CR conforted me in my thinking when he said that for the bigger ships 100 000 uec were nothing wich means you will need a huge amount of time to get the bigger ships in game. That is why when i had an occasion i got myself a capital one but i know i wont use it right away but i know more that it would take me to much playtime to get it in a reasonnable time.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I specifically put over 1000$ in (probably shouldn't on a college students salary but mine is better than minimum wage so meh) because I wont have time in 3 or 5 or 15 years when the game releases to play a lot. I have the datarunning ships I want to do a job with, as well as a 600I, 890 Jump, and soon a Phoenix to have fun and run TESTstops out off. I like the system, because it means I have to actually get good at flying my damn ships to "win"

CaptainHandsome

Commander
Aug 3, 2018
RSI Handle
CaptainHandsome
Indeed. As for the time period it takes there are many published papers on it for if you make it to easy then the reward is trivialized and the players move on to something else. Make to difficult and the players give up and move on to something else.
Indeed! It's damn hard to nail that balance between easy/hard/interesting/risk and reward, and still satisfy the majority of players and playstyles. Though Im hopefull that CIG will nail it as well.
Elite Dangerous has more or less nailed the balance between painful grinding and lucrative ways to earn credits with a certain risk no matter what type of playstyle. For me personally Content/lore and diversity in gameplay is key for me to stay in game and enjoy the game for many years. You can't buy that, you experience it with time. Rewards/win can be so much more than credits, let's say the discovery of Mystery in the verse that will trigger the tinfoil-hats on reddit or a really nice vista while exploring the verse. :ok_hand::slight_smile:

Dethanor

Rear Admiral
Apr 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Dethanor
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought pay to win meant pay to access exclusive content that cant be earnt in game (in this century) that gives an unbeatable advantage.
Good points raised in this video.
Still think people will cry about it, but they don't get that big ships does not equal win. Big ships no crew = easy target.
One thing I always loved about eve. No matter how many sp you had or what uber ship you flew a pack of new players in basic ships could still mess you up.

Forgot your password?