Well this is close to home.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
There are fires yearly Sam. It's just a matter of which ones are out of control or threaten communities. And it's been getting worse. I got deployed last summer to fight them. It was interesting to say the least. They kept us army guys on the flanks, taking care of the smaller stuff (fire breaks, hot spots, widow makers, etc) so the real professionals can get in there and fight on the front line.

DemCoconuts

Commander
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
DemCoconuts
For anyone interested, the fire continues to grow. Approaching 300 000 hectares last I read. It's moved past Ft Mac, so those who were trapped on the north side have been able to move south for supplies and support.

The moral of most is extremely high. Some people are in shock still, but many are already planning their return to the affected areas. Work crews to begin the cleanup of the residential areas have begun forming, and will be ready to work once the authorities give the green light.

The biggest thing that has surprised me is the amount of people who have come out of the wood work to assist the evacuees. I spent three of my last four days off either running supplies north, or sorting them at a local Relief Centre. Normal, everyday people, are loading their trucks and trailers with anything that might be needed to run north, not just for the evacuees, but also the firefighters and police officers on scene. As for supplies, we've filled the Relief centres so many times that everything started being moved to the local major airport, at which two large hangers have now been filled. 53' trailers have been sent from other provinces, filled to the brim with supplies as well. We won't be running out any time soon.

I have never seen a province, nor a country, come together like we have with this event. It's impressive, and reminded myself that there are people in the world who truly just want to help. It's a jaw-dropping sight to behold.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
For anyone interested, the fire continues to grow. Approaching 300 000 hectares last I read. It's moved past Ft Mac, so those who were trapped on the north side have been able to move south for supplies and support.

The moral of most is extremely high. Some people are in shock still, but many are already planning their return to the affected areas. Work crews to begin the cleanup of the residential areas have begun forming, and will be ready to work once the authorities give the green light.

The biggest thing that has surprised me is the amount of people who have come out of the wood work to assist the evacuees. I spent three of my last four days off either running supplies north, or sorting them at a local Relief Centre. Normal, everyday people, are loading their trucks and trailers with anything that might be needed to run north, not just for the evacuees, but also the firefighters and police officers on scene. As for supplies, we've filled the Relief centres so many times that everything started being moved to the local major airport, at which two large hangers have now been filled. 53' trailers have been sent from other provinces, filled to the brim with supplies as well. We won't be running out any time soon.

I have never seen a province, nor a country, come together like we have with this event. It's impressive, and reminded myself that there are people in the world who truly just want to help. It's a jaw-dropping sight to behold.
I can attest to this. People outside of Canada may not have the coverage we do in regards to all the everyday angels that are coming of the woodwork.

It's phenomenal to see how this region/province/country are pulling together to help the displaced. At last count the Red Cross had raised 44 million to help those affected, and the Canadian Government said they were going to match every donation.

I couldn't be prouder to be a Canadian at this moment.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I am actually thinking about selling my SC account to help those I know who have lost everything, I will see how things go this week.

Most of the east coasters I know managed to fly home so far
Yeah, from the sounds of it they've managed to get the 25000+ that fled north of Fort Mac evacuated to safety. I've seen the videos of all the people getting home to the east coast. The effort that has gone into mitigating this tragedy is phenomenal.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
FortMacFireFromNasa2.jpg

EDIT: BAD MAP! I forgot the SIZE LEGEND! Editing atm..

So today we got to Fort Mac. Lots of firefighters in parking lots having lunch breaks. We waved, they waved. Airplanes flying by. It was fun.

Side note. I'm refurbishing a couple of middle schools and highschools so they can house people and be used by the government for government stuff. Nothing spectacular. It's not like i'm fighting the fire, or rescuing babies, or even taking in stray pets. Just scrubbing the floors and tearing out the roof, and painting, and spraying air re-freshener on myself and such.

Last edited:

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
View attachment 2408
So today we got to Fort Mac. Lots of firefighters in parking lots having lunch breaks. We waved, they waved. Airplanes flying by. It was fun.

Side note. I'm refurbishing a couple of middle schools and highschools so they can house people and be used by the government for government stuff. Nothing spectacular. It's not like i'm fighting the fire, or rescuing babies, or even taking in stray pets. Just scrubbing the floors and tearing our the roof, and painting, and spraying air re-freshener on myself and such.
I am sure the people using them will be grateful. Tents are great fun when camping but suck when that's what you have to look forward to for months.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
View attachment 2409
EDIT: BAD MAP! I forgot the SIZE LEGEND! Editing atm..

Side note. I'm refurbishing a couple of middle schools and highschools so they can house people and be used by the government for government stuff. Nothing spectacular. It's not like i'm fighting the fire, or rescuing babies, or even taking in stray pets. Just scrubbing the floors and tearing out the roof, and painting, and spraying air re-freshener on myself and such.
People like you are as heros as those who fight the fires - basically every hand that helps rebuilding those inhabitants life!

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Ooooooh your tenant?
My tenant is currently up there too helping rebuild,
Is he/she going to join TEST? Should I start asking people at work if they're into Star Citizen?
but my new baby is coming any day now.
Sounds like fun! I hear those people are quite fun. They're like having a drunk friend that never leaves the house, or something. @Blind Owl knows all about it

DrunkenTeddy

Order of 10 High Priest
Donor
Apr 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DrunkenTeddy
Ooooooh your tenant?

Is he/she going to join TEST? Should I start asking people at work if they're into Star Citizen?

Sounds like fun! I hear those people are quite fun. They're like having a drunk friend that never leaves the house, or something. @Blind Owl knows all about it
Lol, naw my Tenant is an older guy who barely knows how to use technology. Pretty sure he still has a flip phone.

My daughter is 5 now, they get to be a ton of fun after a while, but the first year and a half was mostly work, so I guess I'm signed up for more work...

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
my new baby is coming any day now.
Awesome! Congrats brother.
They're like having a drunk friend that never leaves the house, or something. @Blind Owl knows all about it
I have two. One is 9 months old and just started walking. The other is 34 and walks like the 9 month old. Usually after a few beers (the 34 year old, not the 9 month old). ;)

Forgot your password?