Welp EA did it with Anthem

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
It's not the $20 skins that hurt the game, it's the community being upset at the high price of a purely cosmetic item that's hurting the game.
I challenge those people to think differently.

Either the price gets raised on the entire game, even for people who don't care about skins, or you get the game for a lower price and you buy the skins if you have extra money to spend.

Advocating against selling skins is no different than advocating FOR a higher price on the game.

Economics 101. Must make more revenue than expense, or company fails.

Economics 102. Must make a return on investment greater than the cost of inflation, or company fails.

You can't have it both ways people. Either the game price is reduced and people with extra income end up spending more, OR everybody pays more.

IMO it's not right to charge everybody for everything. Just charge them for what they actually want.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I challenge those people to think differently.

Either the price gets raised on the entire game, even for people who don't care about skins, or you get the game for a lower price and you buy the skins if you have extra money to spend.

Advocating against selling skins is no different than advocating FOR a higher price on the game.

Economics 101. Must make more revenue than expense, or company fails.

Economics 102. Must make a return on investment greater than the cost of inflation, or company fails.

You can't have it both ways people. Either the game price is reduced and people with extra income end up spending more, OR everybody pays more.

IMO it's not right to charge everybody for everything. Just charge them for what they actually want.
I don't know how else to put it.
You don't make revenue by making people angry. And right now, a lot of people are really angry with EA, because the general consensus is that $20 is too much for a cosmetic item. We're not discussing if $20 is actually too much, that doesn't matter. What matters is that most people think it is.
People will say "EA put a $20 price tag on a cosmetic item. That's bullshit, a skin isn't worth that much. I'm angry. I wonder what else they'll try to screw me for. I won't buy their game and won't support these practices". And EA will lose out not only on the $20 skin, but on a full $60 copy of Anthem.
Nobody cares if EA succeeds as a company or not - I'm not buying their game just to make sure the company doesn't die out. I'll buy the game if it's worth it to me.
Hypothetically, if EA did their math and found out their only chance to survive was to sell copies of Anthem for $500, just to make a return on their investment, would you advocate that that's a fair price, because that is how much money they need to make in order to stay afloat?
To stay alive, Bioware and EA need to put out a good game. If their only hope is to bump up the price of microtransactions in despair, just so they reach their income goals, they've already failed.

tl;dr: EA has pissed a lot of people off. People don't buy EA's game because they are pissed off.
I think EA would make more money by keeping people happy.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
$20 does indeed seem a bit high just for a skin, I concede that point.

If your argument is "there should be more skins, and each should be cheaper" then I can get onboard with that idea.

If your argument is "charging for skins is evil" then we will just have to disagree on that point.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
EA is going to continue to exploit peoples pocketbooks if people keep buying their sub-par games. No offense to EA fans, but anyone who purchases any product by EA is supporting mediocrity.
This logic is not sound.

If you buy a good game, you support a good game.

Why should I not buy an awesome game just because you don't like EA? I could not give less of a care what your (or anyone else's) opinion is of a game developer. If they make a good game, I'm going to play it.

If you don't like it, good for you.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I could care less about micro transactions as long as they do not affect the game and become or are meant to be pay to win, cosmetic is fine I could care less what people spend their money on as long as it doesn't affect my game play.

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
This logic is not sound.

If you buy a good game, you support a good game.

Why should I not buy an awesome game just because you don't like EA? I could not give less of a care what your (or anyone else's) opinion is of a game developer. If they make a good game, I'm going to play it.

If you don't like it, good for you.
It's not that I don't like EA, it's that EA turns quality products into mediocrity. They continue to do it over and over again but people continue to buy their recycled products. Anthem is not a quality product for $60 or more. If you enjoy the game, great, but there are better products out there, that do the same thing. Lets not put blinders on and get defensive about a game when you can actually play it to some extent to see if it's worth buying. I would totally be willing to play Anthem if it was a quality game, regardless if EA publishes it or not, it's just not a quality game. I am entitled to my opinion as well as you are, so I hope you get your value, and enjoy it. Maybe one day EA will change my mind like Ubi did, it's just not this day, or this game.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
It's not that I don't like EA, it's that EA turns quality products into mediocrity. They continue to do it over and over again but people continue to buy their recycled products. Anthem is not a quality product for $60 or more. If you enjoy the game, great, but there are better products out there, that do the same thing. Lets not put blinders on and get defensive about a game when you can actually play it to some extent to see if it's worth buying. I would totally be willing to play Anthem if it was a quality game, regardless if EA publishes it or not, it's just not a quality game. I am entitled to my opinion as well as you are, so I hope you get your value, and enjoy it. Maybe one day EA will change my mind like Ubi did, it's just not this day, or this game.

First of all its not just EA its Bioware and in my opinion this is a quality game by many industry standards, that does not mean it is a good game, good is a personal opinion and varies from person to person, what one person thinks is awesome another may think is junk, that does not mean its not quality though and just because its EA does not mean its a bad game either, also you say it does the same thing as other games and to some extent this may be right, sure its a FPS style game, sure it has co-op and leveling etc... yes most if not all games these days have most of these characteristics, but that does not mean it does them better and also someone who prefers a Destiny style atmosphere or Warframe style game may not like Anthem but many who like the Ironman suit template will like this better than the others, again its all about personal taste.

I see a lot of people jumping on the anti EA bandwagon and don't get me wrong I have my issues with EA as well as far back as Warhammer but that being said I still enjoy many EA games and I still think they put out some decent stuff, but its not just EA abusing the consumers and we also have to remember the consumers contribute to how companies sell their products, like I said in my earlier post as long as companies offer pre-purchase items and early access they will always have the upper hand because lots of people including me buy it before we really have a chance to even test the games . In the end I don't think its fair to say all EA products suck or are bad, yes lately they have screwed games up with micropurchasing etc.. I totally agree but that does not mean the games are not quality or good its just been tainted by a bad company decision that is based on profits rather than making the game better for the consumers.

Last edited:

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
We can agree to disagree.

I see it differently. BioWare needs to make a good return on their investment so they can continue hiring great talent and cranking out amazing games.

If one way to help that happen is for them to offer completely optional, cosmetic items that DO NOT affect your gamplay AT ALL, then great, I support it. I'm pretty open on how games raise additional funds as long as it doesn't significantly alter the game.

Your objection seems to be that they've now introduced more gear, and for some reason there are a few folks out there so completely obsessed with earning anything/everything they can possibly get in a game that they can't possibly stand to do otherwise, and that for these 5 guys it's somehow unfair that others can change the color of their suit?

I can't say I sympathize with this 5 guys even though I respect our differences. Games can't be built and sold to those 5 guys at rates that make game companies successful. It has been tried and failed.

Paying for purely cosmetic items is definitely the most player-friendly solution to the question of how to get additional revenue for reinvestment. Anyone who is crying about it is entirely missing the point about how the gaming industry works.
You keep saying it doesnt affect gameplay. Games tend to have the best skins unlockable and earned through gameplay. When you make the best skins purchasable, you are affecting gameplay. You no longer unlock those awesome skins through fighting bosses or hidden secrets. Its now through money or a maasive grind.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I'm assuming then that you don't play or back Star Citizen? Or if you do you only have the basic Aurora or Mustang pack and haven't spent hundreds if dollers on digital ships that give you and unfair advantage when the game is released? CIG to alot of people are the biggest scamers if them all and find it crazy spending that sort of money ....on a game in Alpha no less. I agree that things like this are getting silly but it's hard to complain when you follow a game like SC
I have a redeemer n base game. When you pledge money to cig you are supporting game development as an investor, in reality they dont need to give you anything for you backing their game, but the do for free. The more you donate the better ship you get for free, thats literally how it goes. Jack daniels does the same thing where its made. You buy a bottle of jack, the bottle, and the alcohol is free. Its how they sell alcohol in a dry county. SC is a whole different beast though. Ive been with test for 3 years? I would hope ive bscked it atleast lol.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
You keep saying it doesnt affect gameplay. Games tend to have the best skins unlockable and earned through gameplay. When you make the best skins purchasable, you are affecting gameplay. You no longer unlock those awesome skins through fighting bosses or hidden secrets. Its now through money or a maasive grind.
Right but just like people could argue pre-purchase items aren't fair either because regular people may not have access to special items, didn't pre order or spend 99$ for the super edition etc... I personally don't have to many issues with people spending money for cosmetic stuff, once you make these types of arguments then you kind of have to argue all those points like pre ordering or buying special editions etc....

Reactions: DirectorGunner

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Wait. Anthem costs like $59.
That's not "full price" on it's own. It might've been several years ago, but it's not today.
You can't expect the production values of the games to go up and the price to go down (if you paid ²⁰¹⁷$50 for a product that cost ¹⁹⁹⁰$50 , that's 50% off).

Honestly, all these "This full price game has microtransactions!" -rants are no different than "This coffee costs $2!? Back in my day we used to get a cup for a nickel with unlimited refills and a shoeshine to sweeten the deal!"
I have no issues with the price of a full game going up due to inflation etc. But a full complete game market right now is 60$ a game at this price with microtransaction is the exception not the rule or standard. 20$ for a basic looking skin is price gouging. For 20$ that skin better play the game for me. Most i would pay if cosmetics have to be sold for whatever reason is 5$ Any higher and that shit better do some cool shit.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Right but just like people could argue pre-purchase items aren't fair either because regular people may not have access to special items, didn't pre order or spend 99$ for the super edition etc... I personally don't have to many issues with people spending money for cosmetic stuff, once you make these types of arguments then you kind of have to argue all those points like pre ordering or buying special editions etc....
Not a fan of those either, but this topic is about 20$ for a skin and EA showing that they dont care. Its more or less the final red flag for me that EA sunk their teeth deep in with greed. Im purely focused on this instance about anthem, cosmetics and micros is a whole different thread on its own, but people are bring up those things that are not the point of focus and i entertain those topics because i enjoy discussions etc.

Forgot your password?