Welp EA did it with Anthem

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The publicity they got for the star wars thing didn't really sell the game though. I do wonder whether the price of stuff is the typical bait and switch, $20 dollars for a skin way to much, they "listen" and reduce it to $15 and now its okay! I am not bothered by playing the demo but will look at the game after release if its fun I will give it a go. If people are bored early then probably wont.

Gortt

Vice Admiral
Sep 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Gortt
I don't know why we keep assuming it's $20 - all they showed was a draft screenshot with in game currency, they have never told us how much RL $ this currency will cost to purchase.

Reactions: Montoya

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I don't know why we keep assuming it's $20 - all they showed was a draft screenshot with in game currency, they have never told us how much RL $ this currency will cost to purchase.
Because its usually on par with other games especially EA games, its not unusual to assume a 20$ fee for an item like this many games do it, besides I don't think the fee is what really ticks people off the guy in the video I posted last made a really good point, when games were made a long time ago all this stuff was in game and there were no cosmetic or pay to win purchasing why all of a sudden companies started price gouging its consumers for items normally found while playing the game? Well we all know why, they got greedy and saw a huge boost to their sales period. At first I was like I don't really care but as this thread went on and I listened to some good points I find myself agreeing, why are we paying for stupid in game shit we never had to pay for before? lmao the only reason is the companies want more $$ out of us period and its sad we let them do it to us and I am just as guilty as everyone else who pre-orders, buys in game currency or items etc..... we all contributed to this now gaming standard that most of us dislike.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
ROFLMAO!

Not only is this a rage thread, is also about something that's not even real!

Classic.

Reactions: Bambooza and August

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I see that you can buy the items with coins earned in-game.

- we do not know if 2000 shards = $20 (but it is likely)

- Bioware said this was not finalized, it might end up being 500 shards, 250 shards, who knows. Shards.

- we don't know how fast you can earn coins in the game, it might take 4hrs to earn this. Still bad?

- If you are an adult, you are fully capable of making your own financial decisions and don't need Angry Joe to tell you what you should be angry about.

Want to spend $20 on a skin? Are you an adult? Do you have a job, savings, mutual funds? Do what ever the fuck you want with your money.

BUT! Assuming it is going to be $20...

If you have a job paying $40k, you are making $20/hr.

Given the choice of grinding 4-6hrs to earn the skin in-game, or taking 1hr from your work day... you decide whats important in your life, not some guy on the internet.

Reactions: Xist and Bambooza

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
There are a bunch of AAA titles sold at $50+ that have microtransactions, Anthem is in no way a rarity.
Call of duty series has some,
Assassin creed series has some,
WoW (in addition to paid subscription, $50+ expansions, etc.)
Jurassic World Evolution
Far Cry 5
GTA V
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Monster Hunter: World
(Naturally EAs other titles...)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
Basically every AAA sport title that I can think of... not that I would play many sport titles.
Total War series
Guild Wars 2 (The expansions are "full price" games, and still cosmetics and space sold separately.)
Oh yeah, and Star Citizen of course.

And this is just a quick 5-minute list mostly off the top of my head. It's by no means a complete list. (And it's also lacking games like Dungeon Defenders 2, which was "full price" originally before going F2P)

On the other hand, I can't name a single $50+ AAA title off the top of my head that I can, with any certainty, say has no sort of microtransactions / cosmetics as dlc.
Witcher 3, kingdom hearts 3. Dragon age inquisition, Bloodborne, dark souls series, doom, metro series, every game from nes era up to ps2 era and most 360 and ps3 games. Entire generations of games. Total war warhammer series doesnt have microtransactions, different sizes of dlc or new characters. Not cosmetics.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
ROFLMAO!

Not only is this a rage thread, is also about something that's not even real!

Classic.
Its not that hard to assume 100 shards will equal 1 dollar. This thread isnt a rage its a discussion and i started it because after thinking EA is publishing it i wint be getting it on launch based on multitiude of experiences.
@Montoya if the grind is anything like battlefront 2 it could take days or weeks to get one skin or longer. If the game intends to be supported in tge long rum i would be fine with that but if you make none of the content carry over from anthem 1 to 2 if the plan that route all money and grinding just becomes a waste of time. Subjective of course.

Havung hate for EA when for YEARS not to or 3 or the past few games. The years exceeding 10 of EA being abusive and deceptive and screwing things up. I gave bioware the benefit of the doubt, andromeda was the fault of EA if you read/watched the interviews from bioware employees. To see the store and the prices be potentially stupid high for mediocre skins when you play league of legends and their skins do some cool shit, i have a strong feeling EA is digging their claws into this a ruinning it. I may pick it up later but its not a day 1 purchase.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
So the game isn't working.
I've managed to complete 2 missions with @DirectorGunner yesterday, but nothing since. I've tried doing the stronghold 3 times this morning. 3/3 times I got the "Server has shut down" in the middle of the mission and got ported back to the Walking Simulator menu (Fort Tarsis).
I'd rather not be able to connect to the game at all, like in the VIP demo, than to let me play half a mission and then kick me in the nuts. No loot, no nothing.
Not to mention, during one of the attempts, I was the only one carrying echoes to silence the relics: the other 3 players were staring at each other like imbeciles, while I had to run around like crazy to progress the mission. So they need to do a better job of telling players what they actually need to do, because it seems nobody understands what the objectives are.
Also, please make navigating through the water less confusing. I always end up waiting on the other players to bang their heads against underwater walls for 5 minutes before they find the way.
Then, I equipped a gear piece and the one I unequipped instantly disappeared, never to be found again.
There is so much stuff wrong with this game, and still everybody is like "wow! you can fly like Iron Man". Okay, I give up.

My disappointment with this game is 8.5/10. I can't refund my 1 month of Origin Premier, can I? 😢

Reactions: DirectorGunner

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
I am fucking loving it. So much better than VIP demo and the Interceptor Javelin is a monster in CQB

Vhexxus

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Vhexxus
Anthem to me doesn't look that great of a game. Too flashy and busy. Kind of like going to a Chucky-Cheese for a kids birthday....Im out

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Witcher 3, kingdom hearts 3. Dragon age inquisition, Bloodborne, dark souls series, doom, metro series, every game from nes era up to ps2 era and most 360 and ps3 games. Entire generations of games. Total war warhammer series doesnt have microtransactions, different sizes of dlc or new characters. Not cosmetics.
So like, mostly console games, and mainly older games, which brings us back to:

Honestly, all these "This full price game has microtransactions!" -rants are no different than "This coffee costs $2!? Back in my day we used to get a cup for a nickel with unlimited refills and a shoeshine to sweeten the deal!"
As for Total War [and not just] Warhammer series, look up the blood dlc, it's cosmetics that costs 2.5€. Also, how is paying a few dollars for a lord NOT a microtransaction?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?