What is the difference between Hornets?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
(With the understanding that everything in the game is subject to change) What exactly is the difference between a F7C single seat hornet and the F7C-M, the double seat hornet?

They both have three size 3 gun mounts. I can put a turret or Flashfire mount on the single seat Hornet, and have (turret) 2 more size 3 guns, or (Flashfire) a single fixed size 4 gun, which is the same as the two-seater, so it doesn't give me any extra guns. I also lose 5 m/s in speed with the two-seater (and 15 in boost).

Is there any other difference? Because I'm not sure having a second person and losing a little bit of speed is really worth it. Thoughts?

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
having a second person to man the turret, or manage shields and power, while the pilot concentrates on flying is an advantage

the copilot's seat is also a good place from which to command a fleet of small ships without the distraction of having to fly the ship

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
The copilot is very valuable for the reasons above, especially if the main pilot can eventually override the turret regardless of a copilot being present, this way the copiliot can manage shields/power and help coordinate. Though I don't know if they'll ever allow the turret to be controlled by the main pilot when a copilot is present.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
having a second person to man the turret, or manage shields and power, while the pilot concentrates on flying is an advantage

the copilot's seat is also a good place from which to command a fleet of small ships without the distraction of having to fly the ship
I think that the F7C-R Hornet Tracker, the Command & Control version is the Hornet to have to direct a fleet of fighters, or an attack...if you don't have a larger ship, like an Idris, Polaris, or Javelin around.

I agree, having somebody to manage shields and power would be nice, but I don't think that is really necessary. Plus, that person has to be willing to fly in a fighter, but keep their head down all the time to manage the shields and power.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
The copilot is very valuable for the reasons above, especially if the main pilot can eventually override the turret regardless of a copilot being present, this way the copiliot can manage shields/power and help coordinate. Though I don't know if they'll ever allow the turret to be controlled by the main pilot when a copilot is present.
I don't think CR will allow the main pilot to override the turret if there is a gunner/co-pilot on board.

Plus, I love the Flashfire mount and the single fixed gun too much...my turret is always going to be fixed and controlled by the pilot!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Every one seem to miss the biggest difference..

S-Hornet is the only one of them that have a Jump engine so the only Hornet that can travel between solar systems on it's own without being transported in a bigger ship... and yes it have two seats.

Apart from that they are the same in gun configuration options what one Hornet have any of the other can have.

Ghost have a Stealth skin and tech,
Tracker well yeah advanced radar and tracker is the fastest of the Hornets,
The regular Hornet and Wildfire are identical only paint job and S-Hornets turret is different which you can have on any of the hornets.
S-Hornet is the slowest of them but the strongest and the one you most likely survive best in a head to head fight.

Tracker is not far after S-Hornet in durability then the regular and wildfire share same hull so no difference there most vulnerable is the ghost but then Ghost is hardest to hit or get a target lock on due to it's stealth tech..

And that is all the basic Hornet info ... how and if any will change further down the road is IMO highly unlikely but then you never know..

cheers :beer: :beers:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
If you get a copilot
until you get a co-pilot
Yeah, part of the problem is "buying the dream" but "currently playing the reality..."

It sounds great having a turret gunner. In actual practice, they have a hard time hitting anything, as they don't know what the heck the pilot is doing as they maneuver to hit stuff with the fixed/gimbaled guns.

My experience has been that I'm better off now having another gun I can control as the pilot, and use along with my other guns. Right now, that is an Size 4 fixed laser (the M6A) along with my 3 Badger repeaters. Of course this could all change in an upcoming awesome update, but the issue of using a turret while somebody else is trying to dogfight is going to be a hard one to fix, imo.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

S-Hornet is the only one of them that have a Jump engine so the only Hornet that can travel between solar systems on it's own without being transported in a bigger ship... and yes it have two seats.
Ok, didn't know that! That is a big difference.

cheers :beer: :beers:
Cheers!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Ok, didn't know that! That is a big difference.

Cheers!

Yea so a S-Hornet with a regular hornets turret Store all big box you suddenly you have a small extremely maneuverable cargo ship that can do very long cargo hulls and as I see it perfect for small valuable cargo runs. (like getting the black box mission it would be perfect for that)
Having the S-Hornet and the Tracker then you have the best you can get of the Hornets then you can when avail buy the other turret modules or simply just own all the Hornets and have all version exchange ability between them as you see fit.
The later is my version, I have them all :smile:

:beers:

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

S-Hornet is the only one of them that have a Jump engine so the only Hornet that can travel between solar systems on it's own without being transported in a bigger ship...
Ok, following up on that...digging into the bowels of the inter-webs, it appears that only starter ships labeled specifically as "Exploration" will have Jump engines. That means, only the Aurora LX, Origin 315p, and Mustang Beta will have Jump drives, out of the Aurora series, 3xx series and Mustang series.

The rest of the single seat starter ships will have to Quantum drive around and make money until they can buy a jump engine. It appears that all starter ships wil be able to have this fitted out to them (not the teeny P-52 or Origin 85x)...

This is basically 3-4 year old info that has been consistent over time, but, hasn't been talked about much recently.

So, it appears that while the Super Hornet is Jump-capable, we should be able to fit the other Hornets with Jump drives, so long as we are willing to pay for it.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Ok, following up on that...digging into the bowels of the inter-webs, it appears that only starter ships labeled specifically as "Exploration" will have Jump engines. That means, only the Aurora LX, Origin 315p, and Mustang Beta will have Jump drives, out of the Aurora series, 3xx series and Mustang series.

The rest of the single seat starter ships will have to Quantum drive around and make money until they can buy a jump engine. It appears that all starter ships wil be able to have this fitted out to them (not the teeny P-52 or Origin 85x)...

This is basically 3-4 year old info that has been consistent over time, but, hasn't been talked about much recently.

So, it appears that while the Super Hornet is Jump-capable, we should be able to fit the other Hornets with Jump drives, so long as we are willing to pay for it.
Yeah! That pretty much sums it up. :smile:
Going to be cool when all the module tech is in the game.
Wounder how many variations you'll see of one ship...

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Forgot your password?