What is the difference between Hornets?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Yea so a S-Hornet with a regular hornets turret Store all big box you suddenly you have a small extremely maneuverable cargo ship that can do very long cargo hulls and as I see it perfect for small valuable cargo runs. (like getting the black box mission it would be perfect for that)
Having the S-Hornet and the Tracker then you have the best you can get of the Hornets then you can when avail buy the other turret modules or simply just own all the Hornets and have all version exchange ability between them as you see fit.
The later is my version, I have them all :smile:

:beers:
I was just reading that the Hornets will be jump capable after market, but, they lose the ball turret for that capability. It sounds like the same thing happens for the Super Hornet. Of course, if you want to carry cargo, that isn't a big deal anyway.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I was just reading that the Hornets will be jump capable after market, but, they lose the ball turret for that capability. It sounds like the same thing happens for the Super Hornet. Of course, if you want to carry cargo, that isn't a big deal anyway.
That I think is just rumors and not actual facts..
Thing is the S-Hornet already got one it is the engine in the back that is different and have nothing to do with the ball turret.
All Hornet have three part power plant engine except the S-Hornet have one giant power plant engine that is for the jump engine in the back that is a function part in the engine it self so got nothing to do with ball turrets..

And very much doubt they change that more than that give the other Hornet the possibility to change engine to same as S-Hornet or vice versa, which is the only module that at the moment on the Hornets that is not changeable between the Hornets. Only S-Hornet have that hard point and if they add the option to change engines to between the hornets as the power plants that comes with it would be great IMO. What have been said tho is there is going to be additional more modules for the ball turret hard point but there have not been anything more said about that as I know and I doubt that this is very high on priority list which is okay IMO..

:smile: :beers:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
That I think is just rumors and not actual facts..
Thing is the S-Hornet already got one it is the engine in the back that is different and have nothing to do with the ball turret.
All Hornet have three part power plant engine except the S-Hornet have one giant power plant engine that is for the jump engine in the back that is a function part in the engine it self so got nothing to do with ball turrets..

And very much doubt they change that more than that give the other Hornet the possibility to change engine to same as S-Hornet or vice versa, which is the only module that at the moment on the Hornets that is not changeable between the Hornets. Only S-Hornet have that hard point and if they add the option to change engines to between the hornets as the power plants that comes with it would be great IMO. What have been said tho is there is going to be additional more modules for the ball turret hard point but there have not been anything more said about that as I know and I doubt that this is very high on priority list which is okay IMO..

:smile: :beers:
Yes, it is hard to tell rumor from fact (from something a dev might have mentioned, I think a friend of a friend told me...) and it's all going to change anyway.

I think people would scream loudly if CIG made that change...

What it does appear to me is that, while you can have a turret (and still be able to jump), if you want to carry cargo on a jump, you are going to have to take the turret out to get the container unit in. Or am I wrong about that?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
And very much doubt they change that more than that give the other Hornet the possibility to change engine to same as S-Hornet or vice versa, which is the only module that at the moment on the Hornets that is not changeable between the Hornets.
Is there a way to put the Ghost Void armor on the S-Hornet? If you buy the S-Hornet frame, what can you not do with it by swapping out components that you can do with another Hornet?

If you buy something like the Tracker to S-Hornet upgrade, so you lose the Tracker turret? If you buy the Ghost to S-H upgrade, do you lose the Ghost's armor?

Aug 12, 2017
RSI Handle
F_Tek
Is there a way to put the Ghost Void armor on the S-Hornet? If you buy the S-Hornet frame, what can you not do with it by swapping out components that you can do with another Hornet?

If you buy something like the Tracker to S-Hornet upgrade, so you lose the Tracker turret? If you buy the Ghost to S-H upgrade, do you lose the Ghost's armor?
Yes they all swap currently (or did last time I tried I think)

(I know I started certain then tailed off a little at the end but I've had a few.,At this point i'm unsure if I own a hornet?!?)

Not sure about the upgrade bit

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Hmmm, was just in the Hanger, and while I could swap out the Flashfire mount and turret mount for the cargo container in my F7C, I could *not* get the cargo container to go in my F7C-M...I could get the Flashfire mount and turret mount into the Super Hornet, but not the cargo container.

Aug 12, 2017
RSI Handle
F_Tek
Hmmm, was just in the Hanger, and while I could swap out the Flashfire mount and turret mount for the cargo container in my F7C, I could *not* get the cargo container to go in my F7C-M...I could get the Flashfire mount and turret mount into the Super Hornet, but not the cargo container.
ok....I refer you to the disclaimer below all my posts ;-)
Though i haven't tried the cargo module as I only have Hornets with fancy names ;-)

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Yes, it is hard to tell rumor from fact (from something a dev might have mentioned, I think a friend of a friend told me...) and it's all going to change anyway.

I think people would scream loudly if CIG made that change...

What it does appear to me is that, while you can have a turret (and still be able to jump), if you want to carry cargo on a jump, you are going to have to take the turret out to get the container unit in. Or am I wrong about that?
No you got it all right, that is how the turret hard point work, you can put the regular Hornet Store all box on any of the other hornets turret hard point or vice versa with any turret module.. :D

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666

Well the armor on the hull stay with the ship that is not changeable as it is now, how ever the turret module from Ghost, Tracker, Regular stor all box or the S-Hornets ball gun turret can be put on any other hornet and the feature that come with the turret module is then usable in the hornet you put it on.. so a ghost stealth turret add some stealth to any other hornet it is put on but it wont be same amount as if it was on the Ghost it self, as in the Tracker module on any other Hornet and the tracker give better long range scanning but not as much as it does on the Tracker. etc...

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
That is strange it was possible to exchange before tho I haven't tried it since 2.5 patch maybe something change during the last Hornet upgrade but anyways it is stated the the turret hard points on the hornets are and shall be the same and there have not been any info that it will change yet.
So might been overseen after they updated the Hornets..

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
That is strange it was possible to exchange before tho I haven't tried it since 2.5 patch maybe something change during the last Hornet upgrade but anyways it is stated the the turret hard points on the hornets are and shall be the same and there have not been any info that it will change yet.
So might been overseen after they updated the Hornets..
Yes, that has got to be an oversight.

Well the armor on the hull stay with the ship that is not changeable as it is now, how ever the turret module from Ghost, Tracker, Regular stor all box or the S-Hornets ball gun turret can be put on any other hornet and the feature that come with the turret module is then usable in the hornet you put it on.. so a ghost stealth turret add some stealth to any other hornet it is put on but it wont be same amount as if it was on the Ghost it self, as in the Tracker module on any other Hornet and the tracker give better long range scanning but not as much as it does on the Tracker. etc...
Yes, iirc from years ago, a lot of the stuff and parts between Hornets are interchangeable, *but*, the Hornet Ghost's special armor and stealth stuff is special and specific to that ship only. You can not expect to add the Ghost's special stealth stuff to any other Hornet.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Yes, that has got to be an oversight.

Yes, iirc from years ago, a lot of the stuff and parts between Hornets are interchangeable, *but*, the Hornet Ghost's special armor and stealth stuff is special and specific to that ship only. You can not expect to add the Ghost's special stealth stuff to any other Hornet.
Yes that is true the hull features is not changeable on any Hornet as it is now, but the Ghost stealth turret electronic you can that help any other Hornet to get some stealth. With lower emission out from guns, radar and electronics so it do help tho it will obviously lower your scanners range so you gain some and lose some, the way physics work.
:smile:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
(With the understanding that everything in the game is subject to change) What exactly is the difference between a F7C single seat hornet and the F7C-M, the double seat hornet?

They both have three size 3 gun mounts. I can put a turret or Flashfire mount on the single seat Hornet, and have (turret) 2 more size 3 guns, or (Flashfire) a single fixed size 4 gun, which is the same as the two-seater, so it doesn't give me any extra guns. I also lose 5 m/s in speed with the two-seater (and 15 in boost).

Is there any other difference? Because I'm not sure having a second person and losing a little bit of speed is really worth it. Thoughts?
The current difference between the Hornet variants is the Super Hornet and the Hornet Wildfire come with the turrets that the others do not have stock and the Super Hornet has a co-pilot seat, plus the speed difference.

The rest of the differences have no in game effects.

The differences that are currently not in game:
The Ghost is stealth, the Tracker has radar, both give up something for those abilities, exactly what, remains to be seen.
The Super Hornet is supposed to have better armor than the rest of the variants.
The Super Hornet comes with a jump engine, but all of them can equip one, even if they don't come with them. Note there is nothing definitive, that I have found, that the others don't come with a Jump Engine, only that the Super Hornet is listed, and confirmed, as coming with one.

The speed difference is due to the extra mass in the Super Hornet, which is because of the turret, or the armor, or the additional seat, of some combination of the three, but that is not an in game effect so we don't know yet.

Forgot your password?