What is your current fleet?

188Octane

Sabre Addict
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
188Octane
I do not support, condone, or endorse the use of gray markets. While I believe they were once legit (but mostly against the TOS) back in the early days of Ultima Online and EverQuest, gold farmers and account hackers have taken over enough of the market to make me suspicious of any person selling something for an online game unless it's though an in-game auction house...and even then it might still be a scam. Also, I am not saying that anyone in Test would every do something like this. However, I am sure there are a few individuals that are either independent or in other orgs that may be considering it.

That said, I suspect that the gray market prices for some of these ships will go up significantly once the game goes live. Especially with the significant amount of credits that will be required to buy some of these in game. I know some may buy these ships so that they can sell them in game for hard currency/bitcoin. I don't think there will be enough in game currency to buy some of these ships at or even near launch for even half the value they would require from an in-game vendor. It would take weeks, if not months of grinding and saving/investing every credit for smaller orgs to acquire the UEC for something like a Javelin....and that's without LTI. Being able to buy a gray market LTI ship? I am thinking 20-100 percent premium once the game goes live depending on supply/demand.

Now, the risks s/he the speculator takes is that
1) the game never goes live (shared by all backers),
2) the demand is not there, hard currency/bitcoin prices drop like a rock and you lose money on the investment.
3) CIG cracks down on the gray market and starts issuing bans left and right to those that buy or sell ship for real currency.

Now, what it could be is that some just want to have a few to loan out/rent out in-game to provide in-game income. If that's a thing, I may decide to rent out of few of my ships as well...but who would want to rent an Aurora...other than someone from Test who has the sole intention of ramming it into some unsuspecting Bengal...
I'm confused by this post; perhaps it was in response to or referencing something I missed in the thread, but it seems out of place?

Eamon_Flannigan

Captain
Nov 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Eamon_Flannigan
It was a response to "why does a person have copies of the big/expensive ships" I gave one reason why someone MIGHT do something like that. Not saying they are, just giving one reason.
- None of my ships are, or will be, for sale.
They are for my personal use, and to be able to loan to others.
Imagine the efficiency of dual Orions mining under the protection of a Javelin and a fleet of AEGIS fighters with two Reclaimers picking up the scraps from would be assailants.
Just one man's entrepreneurial goals, though I will need 100's of crew mates to make it a reality...

188Octane

Sabre Addict
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
188Octane
It was a response to "why does a person have copies of the big/expensive ships" I gave one reason why someone MIGHT do something like that. Not saying they are, just giving one reason.
Gottcha, thanks for the update.

Eamon_Flannigan

Captain
Nov 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Eamon_Flannigan
I agree with the message of your original post. Undermining the pledge system isn't honorable, but assigning real world value to in game items could have a positive effect also... thanks for the post, I hope it will inspire people to use their funds in the RSI pledge store, instead of pursuing other channels, but to each their own.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I am part of that percentage with the required aurora untill I get enough uec to buy the cat.
But in combat I would rather help crew a capital ship.
Nothing wrong with a single Aurora. I think it may be a bit more of an immersion experience as you start small and wander the Verse. Those of us with lots of ship and big ships start the game as a fleet commander but with not much of a story.

We'll have to decide what we want to do vs just jumping in and playing.

Also, I'll have ships that need crewing for you!

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Imagine the efficiency of dual Orions mining under the protection of a Javelin and a fleet of AEGIS fighters with two Reclaimers picking up the scraps from would be assailants.
That's such a beautiful picture. Add a Hope Endeavor to that, just to patch up the people who get their hands stuck in the mining lasers.

Buckface

Vice Admiral
Oct 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Buckface
Fleet.png

Almost the full line-up! Entirely by accident, of course. I like the idea of each of the ships on an individual level.
If I was simply a Drake fanboy I'd own a Herald, too.
Not like I haven't considered changing from the Buc to a Hornet or Super Hornet, but it's basically just a pair of massive engines covered in guns - I can't bare to part with it!

I promise I'm not just a dirty pirate. Although, that seems like something a dirty pirate would say...

Forgot your password?