Will there be a new concept sale next Thursday?

SullyQuindarius

Admiral
Dec 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SullyQuindarius
If it's something that's never been discussed or teased before, thus ruling out the Vulture/Titan, I'm rooting for medium/large mining ships. One about the size of a Constellation, and one to replace the original concept for the Orion. About 150-200m long. I really liked that concept and would totally buy one, except that it's 400m long now. A tad big for me, I don't want anything bigger than 200m in my personal fleet.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Oh, gosh! I hope it's a combat ship! Please let it be a combat ship!
My cat came and typed:
"juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888``````````````````````````````````99iu7"

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If it's something that's never been discussed or teased before, thus ruling out the Vulture/Titan, I'm rooting for medium/large mining ships. One about the size of a Constellation, and one to replace the original concept for the Orion. About 150-200m long. I really liked that concept and would totally buy one, except that it's 400m long now. A tad big for me, I don't want anything bigger than 200m in my personal fleet.
Maybe its an advanced Argo that'll grab those containers off of the Hull class ships in double quick time. All Arms and Grapplers.

EDIT - or an aircraft for use in atmosphere that'll have actual areodynamic flight dynamics rather than just being a spaceship in a gravity well.

Last edited:

Vhexxus

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Vhexxus
It is "something brand new that we've never seen before" OOOH! AHHH!

SPACESHIP!!??

something could be anything...like a feature, but should be directly related to Shipshape.
I really want a new low dollar warbond concept ship. The Pisces could be that ship.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It will be a new thing entirely.. a harem ship, for the newest career path in SC, which is also the oldest profession ;)
Correction: Second oldest profession, first oldest is Customer Services. They found a 4000 tablet written in one of if not the first form of writing complaining they had received the wrong grade of Copper Ingots:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/10/29/the-4000-year-old-customer-service-complaint-wrong-grade-of-copper/

I have not checked, but I don't believe there is an older receipt for purchase of sexual acts to prove it is the oldest profession.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
oldest is Customer Services. They found a 4000 tablet written in one of if not the first form of writing complaining they had received the wrong grade of Copper Ingots:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015/10/29/the-4000-year-old-customer-service-complaint-wrong-grade-of-copper/
That was a fantastic read! That shit still happens exactly today lol
people don't change even after thousands of years, they still pull the same bullshit on each other.
Kind of cool to get confirmation of that notion we make fun of in general.

Got any more cool tidbits like that? :smile:

perhaps a translated stone about getting a refund from a prostitute?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Got any more cool tidbits like that? :smile:
Unfortunately none about customer services, but how about one of the earliest reactions to New Technology?

When I say "one of" I mean "the" earliest reaction that i've ever been able to find.

I don't advise you read the whole of the original text unless you really want to as it's huge and talks about love for a very long time, however buried in it almost at the end is the reaction of famed Greek Philosopher Socrates to the arrival of what was a very new technology to him and his culture: the Written Word itself.

To put this in context, Socrates lived in a very aural society where people would share stories and information primarily by voice, a society so alien to what we experience today as to be near unimaginable. His reaction to the relatively recent encroachment of written recording was recorded (ironically perhaps?) in writing by his pupil Plato whom we have so many texts which still inform our thinking today.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/phaedrus.html
(I recommend copy/pasting the below into text-search in the above document to read it in context)

"...for this discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners' souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality."

"I cannot help feeling, Phaedrus, that writing is unfortunately like painting; for the creations of the painter have the attitude of life, and yet if you ask them a question they preserve a solemn silence. And the same may be said of speeches. You would imagine that they had intelligence, but if you want to know anything and put a question to one of them, the speaker always gives one unvarying answer. And when they have been once written down they are tumbled about anywhere among those who may or may not understand them, and know not to whom they should reply, to whom not: and, if they are maltreated or abused, they have no parent to protect them; and they cannot protect or defend themselves."

This was 360 BC, but the first paragraph sounds a lot like the Fake News issues we are seeing on social medias today, and that second paragraph sounds very much like what it happening right now when we put stuff on the internet - Music, Photos, Video, even forum comments... It is taken by others, re-appropriated, miss-quoted, orphaned form its original creator to be displayed in places the original maker never thought or wanted it to or be shown in or used for, or it even being bastardised into new works which the alterer can sell for their own gain without credit or recompense to the original creator they took the raw material from.

Yes, writing was already over 3000 years old when Socrates analysed it, however given that for most of human history technology and ideas only spread as fast as a man could walk and the very aural nature of Greek Society at that point I think he had some great observations and it's fascinating to see someone talking about something as fundamental as writing in a "Whats this newfangled doo-hicky?" kinda way.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Lando says its something he's been waiting to show us for awhile.

Know what that means?

Premature disappointment. Real talk.
Maybe its something to do with TESTs plans for the as yet undiscovered Discos Hole?

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Unfortunately none about customer services, but how about one of the earliest reactions to New Technology?

When I say "one of" I mean "the" earliest reaction that i've ever been able to find.

I don't advise you read the whole of the original text unless you really want to as it's huge and talks about love for a very long time, however buried in it almost at the end is the reaction of famed Greek Philosopher Socrates to the arrival of what was a very new technology to him and his culture: the Written Word itself.

To put this in context, Socrates lived in a very aural society where people would share stories and information primarily by voice, a society so alien to what we experience today as to be near unimaginable. His reaction to the relatively recent encroachment of written recording was recorded (ironically perhaps?) in writing by his pupil Plato whom we have so many texts which still inform our thinking today.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/phaedrus.html
(I recommend copy/pasting the below into text-search in the above document to read it in context)

"...for this discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners' souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality."

"I cannot help feeling, Phaedrus, that writing is unfortunately like painting; for the creations of the painter have the attitude of life, and yet if you ask them a question they preserve a solemn silence. And the same may be said of speeches. You would imagine that they had intelligence, but if you want to know anything and put a question to one of them, the speaker always gives one unvarying answer. And when they have been once written down they are tumbled about anywhere among those who may or may not understand them, and know not to whom they should reply, to whom not: and, if they are maltreated or abused, they have no parent to protect them; and they cannot protect or defend themselves."

This was 360 BC, but the first paragraph sounds a lot like the Fake News issues we are seeing on social medias today, and that second paragraph sounds very much like what it happening right now when we put stuff on the internet - Music, Photos, Video, even forum comments... It is taken by others, re-appropriated, miss-quoted, orphaned form its original creator to be displayed in places the original maker never thought or wanted it to or be shown in or used for, or it even being bastardised into new works which the alterer can sell for their own gain without credit or recompense to the original creator they took the raw material from.

Yes, writing was already over 3000 years old when Socrates analysed it, however given that for most of human history technology and ideas only spread as fast as a man could walk and the very aural nature of Greek Society at that point I think he had some great observations and it's fascinating to see someone talking about something as fundamental as writing in a "Whats this newfangled doo-hicky?" kinda way.
I stopped reading after "Customer service" my eyes bleed they bleed i tell you need pictures next time to ofset the text.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I stopped reading after "Customer service" my eyes bleed they bleed i tell you need pictures next time to ofset the text.
Thats okay.

I'm feeling thinky today, so here, have a picture (click me) - it's meta from 1929, 89 years ago.

And for those not feeling thinky today:

Last edited:

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
You want an giga enormous ship. It is just you have yet to realize ;-p

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Haha yeah this wikipedia page is much easier to read through thx.
I thought you'd enjoy it, it has 100% more pictures than my original post :slight_smile:

If you find reading long text an issue (boring text or otherwise), you may have scotopic sensitivity, sometimes known as Irlen Syndrome like what I do. I had a few hours of tests 'n shit and ended up with some lavender tinted glasses, and tadaaaa i'm not not falling asleep when i'm reading. I recommend it.

I'm being a mine of information in this thread, i'm beginning to worry myself.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?