Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So if you haven't followed the Cavill tragedy the last couple days, lemme catch you up. Henry left The Witcher a coupe weeks ago? because the woke writers had made the main character into a side show for their feminist characters. He'd had enough. He could fall back on Superman, after all. C'est domage for The Witcher fans who always loved the depth the character was written with and hated the writers' take on it. That's what you get when you hire writers who do not like the source material.

Now Warner Media has decided to go to an origin story for Superman (they're cutting $1.5B from their production budget) under James Gunn, meaning Cavill is out. Of all the stupid things DC has done to date, this may be the pinnacle, since Cavill draws are the only thing fans could count on from DC. That's over.

So one day later, Cavill has a new home. Amazon bought the rights to Warhammer 40,000, and Cavill is onboard.

I'm not exactly a 40k fan as ithe storylinie is just a little too horrific and dystopian for me, and super-saturated in the most graphic violence. However, if they're going to turn it into a successful live action series, perhaps they'll find a way to tone it down a bit. So we'll see.

View: https://youtu.be/A_HljUo8Jjk
Yep, followed it. Frankly, they need a clean slate and start over. Sad as hell for the fans yeah, but I was kinda expecting it.
They can still turn this around though, but it's too soon to do yet another reboot. Maybe 3-5 years from now. Just do Loise n Clark the TV show where the tone isn't dark n gritty, make it bright and colorful and full of hope, what Superman should be, with modern effects and a larger villain that's fit for a movie screen, and you win.
When it comes to gritty and dark, they already have a hero for that. I much prefer Batman for all the gadgets, not the setting necessarily but the two goes well together.. We need gadget heroes, especially now that IronMan is dead, and I couldn't be bothered to watch the latest Batman although I heard it wasn't all that bad!
The superhero fatigue has set in for me after Endgame (which I think I've only seen this year or last lol), and I know I'm not alone.

As far as I heard, 40K is not sold to Amazon just yet. There was no official announcement yet (I haven't checked todays news so that might have changed in the last 24 hours). There are rumors that maybe even Mr.Cavill himself bought the rights and then went to Amazon although I highly doubt that. It's more likely Amazon is just waiting out the shitstorm around Rings of Wamenses before they announce a new IP purchase for loads of money. Investors are already fuming, the Tolkien Estate is suing... yeah not a good time to shout about spending another boatload of cash on something that is very much considered a "niche game for neonazis" in the woke circles and kind of an unknown by the masses.

Btw there are quiet a few stories of human characters in 40k. It isn't just space marines slaughtering aliens and chaos shit. I hope they do one of those and don't just put Cavill in another blue (power)suit.
What I'm saying is, it doesn't have to be guts flying and heads exploding all the time. That would be problematic on the production side as well. There's plenty of more grounded material to draw from that would make for good drama instead of an all out gore fest action movie.

Have you heard the news about season 2 of Rings? They got new directors in! Fired every single men, and replaced them with all women! Because they are Women! Not because they have ANY experience doing something like this or have shown to be really good at their jobs. Nah, that would be silly. (they could be good at their jobs, I dunno, but that wouldn't be sending the right message now, would it?) Cos that was the real problem you see, was the directors gender, not that they were incompetent along with the writers and showrunners.

I couldn't care less about what they hide in their pants or what shade of skin corrector they need. This western identity derangement is not my problem, no matter how hard they try to push it.
What I was hoping for was that they announce hiring a new competent writing team, competent showrunners, and competent directors, all of them with credits to their names that I know of and were considered outstanding. If they happen to be all women, then whatever, it's none of my business, and it shouldn't be. I want to watch a good show, not read their ID cards.
But merit doesn't matter to these people so I guess I'm going to continue not watching Rings, unless someone I know personally tells me they turned it around a full 180 and it's awesome.
Maybe I can finally finish Arcane, which turns out is actually as good as it was hyped up to be.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I’m always thrilled to see a great character, man, woman, child, Tabaxi, I don’t care. My issue with RoP is that Galadriel is obnoxious. The writers failed at the central task of writing—making a character the audience will sympathize with and root for. Who would root for that creature they put on screen? Didn’t they learn ANYTHING from the way audiences responded to Ray and Captain Marvel?

I had not heard the Tolkien estate was suing. What is their claim exactly? Seems you’d have to prove harm rather than stupidity, and being generous as I am, I was thinking the latter.

How do we get out of this mess, where writers can’t tell what is a compelling story? Eventually the kiddy woke self-righteousness will wear off. Seems to be dying in Europe already. That does not however automatically restore to us quality storytelling. It feels like the art is dying. That can’t be, but it sure as hell is very sickly. Don’t even get me started on Marvel and the Eternals.

I had not heard that 40k was associated with nazis. It is presenting all of humanity as sickly and dystopian. Seems too much. One can only hope they’ll tone down the twisted stuff somehow. I’m frankly a little surprised Cavill bit. He seems to only go for franchises he loves. He’d be much better off with FASA’s original Battletech and the resulting Mechwarrior than 40k, IMHO. That also had good personal stories and was not nearly so dark. Also if you’ll recall, there was a cartoon series way back called “ExoSquad” which was pretty cool and didn’t paint all humanity as lost in horror.

Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I’m always thrilled to see a great character, man, woman, child, Tabaxi, I don’t care. My issue with RoP is that Galadriel is obnoxious. The writers failed at the central task of writing—making a character the audience will sympathize with and root for. Who would root for that creature they put on screen? Didn’t they learn ANYTHING from the way audiences responded to Ray and Captain Marvel?

I had not heard the Tolkien estate was suing. What is their claim exactly? Seems you’d have to prove harm rather than stupidity, and being generous as I am, I was thinking the latter.

How do we get out of this mess, where writers can’t tell what is a compelling story? Eventually the kiddy woke self-righteousness will wear off. Seems to be dying in Europe already. That does not however automatically restore to us quality storytelling. It feels like the art is dying. That can’t be, but it sure as hell is very sickly. Don’t even get me started on Marvel and the Eternals.

I had not heard that 40k was associated with nazis. It is presenting all of humanity as sickly and dystopian. Seems too much. One can only hope they’ll tone down the twisted stuff somehow. I’m frankly a little surprised Cavill bit. He seems to only go for franchises he loves. He’d be much better off with FASA’s original Battletech and the resulting Mechwarrior than 40k, IMHO. That also had good personal stories and was not nearly so dark. Also if you’ll recall, there was a cartoon series way back called “ExoSquad” which was pretty cool and didn’t paint all humanity as lost in horror.
Going in reverse order, sorry it's rather late here. Or early, even lol

Never heard of ExoSquad, gotta look it up!
Oooh, Battletech/Mechwarrior show, now that could be something! You could do GoT style drama without the over the top sexual content and the violence just for the shock value, but with all the same drama of houses and backstabbing and so on, along with a bunch of cool mech battles!

I've seen several articles over the years from the usual suspects that the Imperium is just fascistic which in their book equals nazis so everyone who likes it is also one. You know, the same kind of big outlets that wrote about how Kingdome Come Deliverance was a racist game for not including black ppl in an Eastern European historically accurate middle age setting.
Especially around the time when GW started going with The Message, with the usual "we are all about inclusivity except if you are a ..." as in you don't agree with the message, and started striking non-woke/non-extreme-leftist Warhammer lore YT channels and such. It was a whole mess, they lost a lot of goodwill and creators. They wanted to play like the big boys , so they gotta virtue signal eh?
Then lets not even mention Warhammer Plus, the service that was supposed to pick up all the fan-artists like the guy who made Astartes. They struck a bunch of channels again, basically purging popular fan created content off of YT and social media as much as they could, hired a few of them, and then let them go. The service is being discontinued as of next year I think. They ruined the lives and livelihoods of their biggest fans for literally nothing.

They also went after 3D printed models*. This I can understand, because it is entirely possible to buy a decent printer for a couple hundos, buy a model pack for another 20, and print your whole army with the same level of detail as the originals, instead of spending that money in the official store.
But the way they did it was rather stupid. They wanted anything and everything off of sites that sold 3d models for printing, that even vaguely resembled their models. One of the creators took them to court, and won! GW apparently thought that they own the rights to basic concepts such as large pauldrons and pointy ears, and had their ass handed to em by the court. Since then they've cut back on pestering the printing community.

Yeah I understand that you would rather see something not so dark as 40K. Daily life is dystopian enough as it is lol
That said, as I think back my criticism when the first poster of Cavill as Geralt was revealed was that he is too bright and shiny for this role. Not dark and gritty enough. He would make a great actual Superman instead of the brooding emo kid he had to play. But he did his best as Geralt and he was believable. He smiled a tiny bit too much but that was it, otherwise he was rather dark and emotionless as he was supposed to be. It clearly showed that he was not bullshitting us about loving the game and the books. So if he wants to go with 40K which he seemingly is into as much as The Witcher, I'm all for it. I believe he could pull it off.

I don't know the exact details, just heard rumors and not just from random youtubers but people in the industry that Amazon is in deep shit with the Estate. They didn't own the rights to certain characters, one of them I think might be the Not-Gandalf who is clearly Gandalf, and they most certainly took liberties with some story elements that they didn't own either that if were canonized would make the events of LoTR impossible to happen. Even just the fact that they messed up the timeline so badly might be actionable if it broke some clause in the purchase. We will have to wait and see. One thing is for sure, the estate and the investors are not pleased with how this turned out. It should've been an era defining show, instead it was a fart in the wind.

How we get out of this mess is with time, as you said. Shits hitting the fan, the world will burn again, and then renew again. It's the way things were and always will be it seems. I just hope we get through the burning part without loosing much skin lol
Point is, creative types will change their tone and circle back to something we find more appealing. Look at video games, at first it was colorful, mostly because of the technical limitations but also becasue it was supposed to be fun, then it all went muddy grey desaturated as it was still supposed to be fun but more serious, and now everything's swimming in HDR colors again as ppl got bored of the previous and the tech has come a long way. There are still great stories and a ton of crap, as is usual. Same thing will happen with movies and shows.

* CIG kinda did the same when they signed that company in the UK to make 3d printed models for them, but the cost of those is ridiculous considering it's just a resin print, especially with all the taxes and shipping, and it's basically dead at this point. We still only got the 4 or 5 models they did years ago and that's it. What actually smart companies do is they promote printing by selling official digital models to print. They could make soo much more money just off of selling ship model files instead of the physical goods. Lets say 5-20 bucks if you payed for the ingame ship already, 20-100 if you don't and just want the model. I'd buy a fully detailed 890 jump for 60 bucks in a heartbeat, and I wouldn't be alone in this. It would mean work and pay for like 2-3 people but any junior 3d artist could do it along with someone who has experience in printing. It would pay for itself easily and it would be an extra revenue stream for the long run... anyways, I've gone quiet off-topic here.

• o7
Reactions: Deroth and Mudhawk

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You may recall back when Michael Bay dud the first Transformers film, he was actually given a choice between that and Mechwarrior. I have always thought he chose poorly. The original FASA material was rich and varied with lots of detail about the differing cultures of the Houses that comprised the political powers, and it could yet be Game of Thrones in space.

View: https://youtu.be/HQhzlXcmTzw

Last edited:

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
I’m frankly a little surprised Cavill bit. He seems to only go for franchises he loves.
Well concerning Warhammer 40K and Henry Cavill I'd like to point out that on his Instagramm page are a couple of pictures of the Warhammer Miniatures he painted himself.
Next to the pictures of the new fans he installed in his PC. Apart from being frigging famous he fits the NERD character class to a 'T'.
Why hasn't that guy be casted fro Star Citizen I wonder?
Oh wait, wasn't he in that SQ42 trailer riding a Lightning?
Or was that a look-alike? 🤔

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well concerning Warhammer 40K and Henry Cavill I'd like to point out that on his Instagramm page are a couple of pictures of the Warhammer Miniatures he painted himself.
Next to the pictures of the new fans he installed in his PC. Apart from being frigging famous he fits the NERD character class to a 'T'.
That was him, yes.

Devil Dog Hog

Space Marshal
Jan 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DevilDogHog
Sarcasm aside, Ryan Enright is a member of the 42nd Squadron and appears in Squadron 42 during the Battle of Vega II. He flies an Anvil F8 Lightning and appears to command the squadron, comprising of Cal Mason in an Anvil Hornet and several Aegis Retaliators. He is portrayed by Henry Cavill.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Sarcasm aside, Ryan Enright is a member of the 42nd Squadron and appears in Squadron 42 during the Battle of Vega II. He flies an Anvil F8 Lightning and appears to command the squadron, comprising of Cal Mason in an Anvil Hornet and several Aegis Retaliators. He is portrayed by Henry Cavill.
Wait a minute! You answer a question with a quote that's not even marked as one?
Could you be a writer for Games Workshop?!
Jokes aside, further up people wondered if there's fascism or somesuch in Warhammer 40K. The simple answer is: YES. Among other things. LOTS of other things.
Fact is, to hammer out the world of their tabletop games Games Workshop ripped off, stole and plundered whatever they could get their hands on.
Be it Fantasy or Sci-Fy, Games Workshop stuffed in anything a fanboy might dream of. And that was all fun and games in the late 80's when they were just a bunch of Nerds. But then they became a corporation and started sueing people for infringing on intellectual property. While selling Conan and Elric of Melnibone copies, Terminator-esque warbots and Giger clones called Genestealers. I bet there is a figure of a woman with curly hair, a flamethrower and a child on her arm somewhere in their portfolio.
All of Games Workshop material is based on other peoples ideas.
They do actually stand on the shoulders of giants as the saying goes.
And as it shows, no one that got their riches in an honest way cries THIEF!!! as loudly as one who... well... you get it, right?
Would be nice if the Rippers could accept being ripped off by their paying fans who do not earn money by doing so. (2007 the company grossed 136 million pound sterling by the way.)
Don't get me wrong, I love all that GW stuff.
I grew up on it and I still got my first figurine set "Rugglud's Armored Orcs".Even though the paintjob is crap.
And if Henry Cavill could get a show running that reflects the essence of that wild and unbound imagination that's at the core of Warhammer 40K... Well, no one's gonna complain about LotR or SW for a while because we will be glued to the screen with jaws agape and drool flowing.
And if he fails, oh well, next topic to complain about I guess. 😅

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Fascinating! I’m curious how you know all this?
That's a case by case thing.
In CASE you ask me it's by spending time when I should be a productive member of society doing and reading up on nerd stuff instead. It's a very peculiar form of education, I admit.
In CASE you happened to address someone else... no idea.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Battletech/Mechwarrior seems to me the vastly superior choice over both Transformers and 40k. The latter is a tabletop wargaming thang. Mechwarrior also started out that way but it evolved very quickly to PC gaming. It has a rich and vastly less dystopian take that Harry needs to consider.

40k presents humanity as shit on a shingle. We’re better than that. We should all humble ourselves and pray we never become what 40k presents.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
40k presents humanity as shit on a shingle. We’re better than that. We should all humble ourselves and pray we never become what 40k presents.
Oh but the glorious stories that come out of that universe. While I never found the time to get into the tabletop gaming of it, the stories written in verse are some of my favorites.

I even listen to this channel often when commuting to work.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYzOqlGRYGQ

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Fascinating explanation of how the vision for RoP was originally flawed but salvageable, and how it changed completely due to changes in the people involved. Depending upon what you think went most wrong, now you can trace what and who to blame.

For myself, though I think it was a terrible choice to cram together events a thousand years apart, I think most would forgive choices like this if the characters were inspiring and the dialog engrossing, and if tte thing were not permeated with ideological filth that would make Tolkien roll over in his grave. So for me I have to blame choices made late in the process much more than those made by the Tolkien estate.
View: https://youtu.be/HBYTR4UfEkk

Reactions: Deroth
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?