Aegis Vulcan (concept ship sale starting Feb 22)

Aleph0Null

Grand Admiral
Apr 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Aleph0Null
But you can sure upgrade them!
Yep, Good thing I bought 0$ CCU's from the RECLAIMER to an Scythe, Starfarer, Orion, Crucible, Endeavor and Hull D "just in case"

What are your 2 most hated ships?
I'm glad you asked mate. Avenger, I think this ship is pretty useless, especially the Warlock version, never worked for me.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Cutlass Black is life.
*heh* Lifes too damn short to drift aimlessly through the void. 350R - pick a point and get there as quickly as possible.

Admit it, what are you going to ride into Operation Pitchfork in? A crate fit for nothing more than carting Bananas or something that'll detach your retinas when you put the breaks on and reattach them when you accelerate again?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
This looks like a great fun ship.

Unfortunately I promised I wouldn't spend any more money until either 3.0 drops or it's 2018 :(

WAIT!!!!!!! *unzips wallet*

Clematrix

Commander
Feb 22, 2018
RSI Handle
clematrix
Its funny because it has some flexibility to bale out players who run out of fuel and maybe ammo but if your ships is damaged enough to be flying you can probably make if back anyways. Maybe they will do damage stats so your fuel is lost and stuff like that. I doubt it can repair anything seriously hurt.

If you have 5 pirate ships is having a ship like this worth more than another ship i.e. to repair small damage refuel etc. We do not know any real game balance or mechanics but having put the ship up there they will have to make the mechanics work. So far we seem to have 3 levels of repair (maybe 4), hand held devices, this bots, cruicible and well the fixed repair bases (maybe the last two are the same).

Unless there is an additional mechanic on loosing fuel, currently this only happens on afterburn in atmosphere and then you crash, so heh you might not survive the crash to need this.

If its for a proper fleet support I just cannot see how you wont want a cruicible and starfarer for this. So yeah this will fit a niche of 1) small fleet support and or missions ala AA van. I do not think its for me but I have considered it just for the fuel supply without corrider hell, (sadly it will still run out because it can not refine and thus produce its own fuel).
I've really wondered about the actual utility in game for the Vulcan. To do some minor repairs and support a small group of ships I can see it being alright. For a lot of players I'm not sure when they'd use it. It's the whole 'roadside assistance' sort of aspect of it to get you going to a real repair or refueling facility or ship that I'm not sold on. Even though the multi-use drones are pretty cool, not sure how often I'd actually use it. Holding off on getting it for now.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Some of the problem is things we do not know. I.e. it has a fuel tank is that tank enough for ten hornets? 1 Caterpillar? what? Does it extend the range of a small fleet enough? It is funny the rearm bit seems like something that proper fleets will have well covered i.e. polaris and idris will definitely be able to do this, and it doesn't have enough cargo space to really rearm more than a couple of ships. Its purpose seems to be to go help the one person who is stranded, maybe needs light repairs and could do with some ammo. Its cargo capacity really seems a restriction for it doing a whole lot more. I expect it can probably extend the capability of a few small ships once extra (i.e. refuel and rearm them once).

Whilst this doesn't seem like much maybe you can use it to get say three hornets to a mission that ordinarily only a long range fighter can make i.e. vanguard.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Some of the problem is things we do not know. I.e. it has a fuel tank is that tank enough for ten hornets? 1 Caterpillar? what? Does it extend the range of a small fleet enough? It is funny the rearm bit seems like something that proper fleets will have well covered i.e. polaris and idris will definitely be able to do this, and it doesn't have enough cargo space to really rearm more than a couple of ships. Its purpose seems to be to go help the one person who is stranded, maybe needs light repairs and could do with some ammo. Its cargo capacity really seems a restriction for it doing a whole lot more. I expect it can probably extend the capability of a few small ships once extra (i.e. refuel and rearm them once).

Whilst this doesn't seem like much maybe you can use it to get say three hornets to a mission that ordinarily only a long range fighter can make i.e. vanguard.
actually, I think we do know that.

A small quantum fuel tank hold 583 units of fuel. A medium holds 2,500. This has two medium tanks of Quantum fuel. One for itself, one for others (not sure if you can tap both for fueling others). That means it should be able to fuel at least 4 hornets, or one hornet 4 times. That said, most medium sized ships use 2+ times the fuel for a jump, so while they hold just over 4 times the fuel, they only have about 1.5-1.7 times the range. (6m km vs 10m km) depending on how efficient the drive is.

A polaris can only rearm small ships, like a sabre, SH, etc. A vanguard, freelancer, etc will not fit in the landing bay, so I think this will add some significant value to a fleet of ships not comprised only of small fighters.

As for your late note about the role, I think that is exactly it. It will be best used to help one person unless you are teaming up with a number of other Vulcans to help patch together a larger ship so it can get back to a proper repair base or at least back to where you have your crucible waiting. In other words, it will be a small truck with some tools that will bring you a small can of gas, help you change a tire, etc, not a full blown service station with engines. Also, unlike the Crucible, it will not be able to put you in a scarab and tow you back.

If you pair it with the right ships though. Say a Starfarer for supplying fuel, a prospector for supplying minerals (better yet, an orion), and a terrapin for finding out where to get those items, it will be a nice little support ship that will minimize the need to take out another big ship like a crucible.

Vhexxus

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Vhexxus
So this ship has a concept price of $200. Any ideas or thoughts on what it 'may' go up to after concept sale? I looking to save a lil cash upgrading through this price range. It'd be nice to sitting in this ship or have a CCU and it jump up $25 getting me closer to a end goal ship. I've got several CCU's I was hoping to see go up in value at 3.0 release, but they haven't so far.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So this ship has a concept price of $200. Any ideas or thoughts on what it 'may' go up to after concept sale? I looking to save a lil cash upgrading through this price range. It'd be nice to sitting in this ship or have a CCU and it jump up $25 getting me closer to a end goal ship. I've got several CCU's I was hoping to see go up in value at 3.0 release, but they haven't so far.
I'm in the same boat. Hurry up and wait. They said the price would increase with 3.0 for a bunch of the ships, but here we are, still waiting...

Reactions: Shiwaz and Bambooza

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
actually, I think we do know that.

A small quantum fuel tank hold 583 units of fuel. A medium holds 2,500. This has two medium tanks of Quantum fuel. One for itself, one for others (not sure if you can tap both for fueling others). That means it should be able to fuel at least 4 hornets, or one hornet 4 times. That said, most medium sized ships use 2+ times the fuel for a jump, so while they hold just over 4 times the fuel, they only have about 1.5-1.7 times the range. (6m km vs 10m km) depending on how efficient the drive is.

A polaris can only rearm small ships, like a sabre, SH, etc. A vanguard, freelancer, etc will not fit in the landing bay, so I think this will add some significant value to a fleet of ships not comprised only of small fighters.

As for your late note about the role, I think that is exactly it. It will be best used to help one person unless you are teaming up with a number of other Vulcans to help patch together a larger ship so it can get back to a proper repair base or at least back to where you have your crucible waiting. In other words, it will be a small truck with some tools that will bring you a small can of gas, help you change a tire, etc, not a full blown service station with engines. Also, unlike the Crucible, it will not be able to put you in a scarab and tow you back.

If you pair it with the right ships though. Say a Starfarer for supplying fuel, a prospector for supplying minerals (better yet, an orion), and a terrapin for finding out where to get those items, it will be a nice little support ship that will minimize the need to take out another big ship like a crucible.
Remember balancing hasn't happened yet.

A ship without a bed, IMO, is likely to be short range base-based ship, as in it may only have enough Q-Fuel for travel inside a system, maybe the next system, possibly the next system over and get back again... Whereas a ship with a bed may have enough Qfuel or an efficient enough Quantum engine to use the same size tank but be able to travel 7 systems over and get back again.

So the target is 7 systems away: A vangard or 325 may be able to make it in one trip, but queue the Vulcan, you get 6 systems away and the tank runs dry, the Vulcan tops you back up and you fly to the next system and do the Pew Pew while having enough fuel for combat emergency power too, fly back the one system, top back up again at the Vulcan and then fly all the way home.

Something like that, anyway.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I got one tonight on Store Credit. I'm not liking how much it is. Despite its multi-role purpose, I think it could have been cheaper and I feel they mashed the roles together into 1 ship because they didn't want to design 2 or 3 separate career starter ships. So I buy this with mixed feelings. I hope the starter salvager is much less expansive.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I got one tonight on Store Credit. I'm not liking how much it is. Despite its multi-role purpose, I think it could have been cheaper and I feel they mashed the roles together into 1 ship because they didn't want to design 2 or 3 separate career starter ships. So I buy this with mixed feelings. I hope the starter salvager is much less expansive.
I agree with you there. Even 30 bucks cheaper would've made far more sense.

Reactions: Blind Owl

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I really dont see a need for the Terrapin, Vulcan and Prospector to be limited sale ships. As entry level non fighters they should be always available on sale.
Unless these are medium level ships.

If you compare the Prospector to StarBug or Blue Midget from Red Dwarf its very very capable with all the dedicated mining machinery and those detachable ore pods... you can have a ship equipped with loads of player wielded mining Bazookoids in the Gun Store and it's still a mining ship, you just have to get out to do the mining and would have to target high value low density hauls like Dimonds which a player would be able to carry back into the ship.

Still early days yet.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?