Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
tips on becoming an ace

1. Don't use gimbals
  2. use kinetic, no pussy beams
  3. learn how to deal with kinetic weapons. Mostly those ass-holes with sabres who just slap longbows on
  4. learn how to do shield management
  5. learn how to out-manoeuvre your enemies
  6. profit???
But you need to practice against different ships to see how t hey preform against you and what their weaknesses are.

ie the Sabre

Strengths:
  • Can carry huge guns capable of one-shooting gladius's and other snub fighters
  • extremely manoeuvrable, so much so the best Sabre pilots can stop you from even getting a shot off before you die
  • low emissions (unlike VW's) meaning with the right amount of management they can stop you from getting missile lock and even make you loose lock all together
  • big shield size
Weaknesses:

• Huge target, Easy to his critical systems ie engines and pylons.
  • weak armour, meaning a super hornet can take you out in seconds
I fail at rule 2 (now I'm a pussy gunner :() and rule 4, but for my defense, I practice in every ship except in the Sabre, I save it for advanced training

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Anytime. PM me or hit me up in Discord, I'm happy to do a walk-through.
Thanks brother. I shall do just that when RL permits.
Yes, and another advantage is: speed is your best friend. While strafing, you speed on the HUD will decrease, but this is only an illusion. Your speed is actually still max, only because of strafe you move forward AND sidewards. The HUD speed is only your forward speed.
Now comes the math: anyone familiar with Pythagoras? Simple example:
your max speed is 5, no side strafe.
if you have a side strafe of 3 and your max speed is 5 then your forward speed would be 4
SQRT(SQR(3) +SQR(4)) = 5; SQRT(9 + 16) = 5; SQRT(25) = 5
I really need to work on the strafing. I tend to charge head on and crash into people. I need to master the art of moving sideways. Or up and down.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Thanks brother. I shall do just that when RL permits.

I really need to work on the strafing. I tend to charge head on and crash into people. I need to master the art of moving sideways. Or up and down.
sideways, up and down is relative, like everything in space. If you strafe full left, make a 90 degree clockwise and stay strafing left, now you strafe up viewed from your target.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Damn, I have a 4-way switch at my left index finger and a mouse schnible (how do you call a little pin that comes out of a hole and you can move it????? Slew control!!!!! WTF, Schnible sounds better and gives me the same info) at my left middle finger. Looks like you don't have any pov switches on your left hand. I use my left index finger. Is the strongest finger at my left hand.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Which HOTAS do you have, the X55?
Yes, the x55.
Damn, I have a 4-way switch at my left index finger and a mouse schnible (how do you call a little pin that comes out of a hole and you can move it????? Slew control!!!!! WTF, Schnible sounds better and gives me the same info) at my left middle finger. Looks like you don't have any pov switches on your left hand. I use my left index finger. Is the strongest finger at my left hand.
I currently have it on one of my hats on my right hand joystick. But I think I may move it to my throttle on my left. That way all weapons and targeting will be right, throttle and strafing left. I will play a bit, see what works best.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Right hand is a bad idea. when using the stick, your fingers should be in rest or controlled bursts. It affects you moving / aim if you must use strafe also with your thumb.

I would suggest the green 4-way button. Thumb hat switch on a throttle is not perfect, if throttle is vertical, you thumb movement correspondents with thumb hat switch position: up, down, left and right. If throttle is forward, your thumb is turned 45 degrees with the thumb hat switch.
I had that problem while using the throttle switches for roll while I was waiting for the rudder pedals.

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
You are assuming that they are running the same stick as you, the warthog is setup differently, i have all directional controls on the stick, all weapons systems at the index finger or thumb as well, it works perfectly fine, and personally its what im comfortable with. its actually easier with my 2-stage trigger to fire weapons, and the missle button right next to my primary hatswitch (Trim-Hat).

My Throttle Has all my landing, and targeting controls on it (Minus closest enemy, thats at my stick index finger, weapon selection switch), as well as my quantum setup. I've attached an Unfinished version of my controlmap, its still a wip, and im constantly tweaking it based on new control inputs, as well as frequency of used controls. and it will probably change again and again as the game gets updated. FYI Not all Controls i have mapped are on the image yet, and im actually working on a newer image with better text visibility.

Also, this doesnt include when i run my pedals or Voice Attack, which i do on occasion, and the mapping of them is a complex and changed how all my controls are setup. I have exported all controls from the game and made like 3 profiles based off of what setup im using.

EDIT: Also, i find having strafe and roll at my thumb, actually makes them more accessible, and gives me finer control than having them on my throttle where the comfort of use was dependent on throttle position, not to mention, the 2 hats on the throttle aren't designed for that kind of use, they are meant for quick access to the A-10C's critical systems (thumb hat for radio, and forward had for MFD/SOI selection.

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
You are assuming that they are running the same stick as you, the warthog is setup differently
Nope, I know how I configured my Warthog and I'm trying to translate that to @Blind Owl X55 ;). I Always configured strafe at left hand so that it doesn't interfere with my yaw and pitch.

[EDIT]
run my pedals or Voice Attack
I wanted the pedals for the missing roll, but instead zoom became more important on the pedals because it's so much better aiming. I even could switch to ballistics...
Damn Voice Attack!!!!! My computer doesn't want to understand me and :oops: to make it even more difficult, I don't use a headphone, playing sounds best on my surround speakers and that is a great addition to my fun factor!!!! But the speakers will interfere with my mic and make it even harder for my computer to understand me.... although, "bitch" always is understood :eek:

where the comfort of use was dependent on throttle position,
That is why the left index finger for strafe is so good!!! Unlike the thumb it isn't affected by the throttle position, which most of the time during combat is full throttle. I always try to maintain my firing distance with strafe.
It keeps you moving thus harder target for the other adversaries.

I try to keep my movement on different controls. That way I can pitch/yaw/shoot, strafe and roll independently. Right thumb surely is easier to use with strafe, but it interferes with my pitch yaw. Left index finger doesn't interfere with my throttle.

Last edited:

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
Ah, i misunderstood then, either way i think it comes down to comfort, and what your preferences are, i dont feel that having strafe on the stick interferes at all with my pitch/yaw. and when im using pedals, my pedals are for roll and zoom or roll and forward/backward strafe, haven't figured out which i like better, i have toe brakes set as a single gradiant axis right now, i've also tried them as seperate axis, and single non-gradiant axis. i like the current setup the best so far.

EDIT: I use either my Surround Sound when im not running VA/Discord, but when im on discord or using VA i have my 7.1 headset plugged in, i still get surround that way xD

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Ah, i misunderstood then, either way i think it comes down to comfort, and what your preferences are, i dont feel that having strafe on the stick interferes at all with my pitch/yaw. and when im using pedals, my pedals are for roll and zoom or roll and forward/backward strafe, haven't figured out which i like better, i have toe brakes set as a single gradiant axis right now, i've also tried them as seperate axis, and single non-gradiant axis. i like the current setup the best so far.

EDIT: I use either my Surround Sound when im not running VA/Discord, but when im on discord or using VA i have my 7.1 headset plugged in, i still get surround that way xD
That is completely true, the optimal control setup is for every user different. Only point is that if you are not aware of the importance of a certain axis or control, you initially won't configure it at a easy accessible place.
I started SC with the Saitek F.L.Y. and the Logitech G13. The analog thumbstick worked perfect on the G13, but no throttle at all during fight. I learned to compensate that with strafe. Then the F.L.Y. secondary fire button broke (Use the force Luke) and I bought the Warthog. The super strafe control of the G13 and roll of the F.L.Y. was gone. It took me a long time before I finally got a good compromise, suspending the use of roll until the rudder pedals finally arrived.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Right hand is a bad idea. when using the stick, your fingers should be in rest or controlled bursts. It affects you moving / aim if you must use strafe also with your thumb.

I would suggest the green 4-way button. Thumb hat switch on a throttle is not perfect, if throttle is vertical, you thumb movement correspondents with thumb hat switch position: up, down, left and right. If throttle is forward, your thumb is turned 45 degrees with the thumb hat switch.
I had that problem while using the throttle switches for roll while I was waiting for the rudder pedals.
I'll try out or and see if I have the same issue. Thanks for the tips.
I've attached an Unfinished version of my controlmap
im actually working on a newer image with better text visibility.
Is there a program or webpage we can use to make the images that show the keybinds?
i find having strafe and roll at my thumb, actually makes them more accessible, and gives me finer control than having them on my throttle where the comfort of use was dependent on throttle position,
I've traditionally used this method. But I feel like I'm not using it properly while dog fighting. Perhaps I need to practice more, or perhaps I need to switch it to another control.
Nope, I know how I configured my Warthog and I'm trying to translate that to @Blind Owl X55 ;).
Yeah, he was tracking what controller I have. ;)
Right thumb surely is easier to use with strafe, but it interferes with my pitch yaw.
I'll play with it a bit. I feel like I have too much on my right hand, and next to nothing in my left.
i think it comes down to comfort, and what your preferences are,
That is completely true, the optimal control setup is for every user different
You're both right, of course. I'm play with both as soon as I have the time.
Thanks for the dialogue gentlemen. I feel like I have options. And it's started shine creative juices flowing. I'm getting ideas for other ways to bind strafe.

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
Well, i used a base image of the Warthog with a template of control mapping that i got for free from thrustmaster, then just edited it in Photoshop lol

However, im sure i could write either a webpage or a program, program might be easier, to actually let you do it, it actually could be feasible to have either one take the exported SC control profile search for keywords and assign text labels to specific spots on an image based on the controls setup in the exported profile.

Ill look into it for ya ;)

EDIT: this maybe 100% feasible as the exported profiles are Simple XML sheets. Im loooking into it, here is an example of what my xml looks like, and how i would keyword it. I may have to start a new thread to see if there is interest in something like this...

XML File Excerpt:
Code:
 <deviceoptions name="Joystick - HOTAS Warthog">
  <option input="x" deadzone="0.015"/>
  <option input="y" deadzone="0.015"/>
</deviceoptions>
<options type="keyboard" instance="1"/>
<options type="joystick" instance="1"/>
<options type="joystick" instance="2"/>
<modifiers />
<actionmap name="spaceship_general">
  <action name="v_self_destruct">
   <rebind input="js2_button22" multiTap="2"/>
  </action>
  <action name="v_exit">
   <rebind input="js2_button23"/>
  </action>
  <action name="v_eject">
   <rebind input="js1_button19"/>
  </action>
  <action name="v_toggle_cabin_lights">
   <rebind input="js1_button3"/>
  </action>
</actionmap>
Keywords program would search for would be anything under "action name" ex:
Code:
  <action name="v_eject"> --- Keyword, assigns action name
   <rebind input="js1_button19"/> -- Keyword, tells where action need to be put on the image.
  </action>
Ill see if i can test a couple theories using Dreamweaver, and Microsoft Visual Studio, come up with base examples of both options.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Well, i used a base image of the Warthog with a template of control mapping that i got for free from thrustmaster, then just edited it in Photoshop lol

However, im sure i could write either a webpage or a program, program might be easier, to actually let you do it, it actually could be feasible to have either one take the exported SC control profile search for keywords and assign text labels to specific spots on an image based on the controls setup in the exported profile.

Ill look into it for ya ;)

EDIT: this maybe 100% feasible as the exported profiles are Simple XML sheets. Im loooking into it, here is an example of what my xml looks like, and how i would keyword it. I may have to start a new thread to see if there is interest in something like this...

XML File Excerpt:
Code:
 <deviceoptions name="Joystick - HOTAS Warthog">
  <option input="x" deadzone="0.015"/>
  <option input="y" deadzone="0.015"/>
</deviceoptions>
<options type="keyboard" instance="1"/>
<options type="joystick" instance="1"/>
<options type="joystick" instance="2"/>
<modifiers />
<actionmap name="spaceship_general">
  <action name="v_self_destruct">
   <rebind input="js2_button22" multiTap="2"/>
  </action>
  <action name="v_exit">
   <rebind input="js2_button23"/>
  </action>
  <action name="v_eject">
   <rebind input="js1_button19"/>
  </action>
  <action name="v_toggle_cabin_lights">
   <rebind input="js1_button3"/>
  </action>
</actionmap>
Keywords program would search for would be anything under "action name" ex:
Code:
  <action name="v_eject"> --- Keyword, assigns action name
   <rebind input="js1_button19"/> -- Keyword, tells where action need to be put on the image.
  </action>
Ill see if i can test a couple theories using Dreamweaver, and Microsoft Visual Studio, come up with base examples of both options.
Jesus Murphy man, this would be awesome.
Upvote.
Multilike.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
get in and start the engine.
Oh. We'll then. Shows you what I know. Ha.
The Sabre IS stealth mode
So last weekend when we were all flying and fighting each other, and I kept asking why I was loosinglock or not about to acquire lock on different Sabre's...you weren't doing damn thing? It just happens naturally?
That's fucking awesome.

Forgot your password?