Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
How is this news? We have a Dr who is saying one thing but the regional hospital service is saying no such event has happened in their system? While one shouldn't take the livestock version of Ivermectin as it's not a very controlled or safe way to administer the drugs the drug has been administered for countless years for a number of ailments (dubious as to the effect it would have on a virus but we daily see how fear incites actions of questionable logic). Truthfully the title should be "Oklahoma doctor lies about Ivermectin usage leading to hospital ER disruption" while I would strongly not taking Horse de-wormer I have known several ranchers who did when working around the pens before shipping the livestock to the spring grazing fields.
Yanno, my doctor doesn't recommend self diagnosis and self medication with doses of any medication administered for cattle or horses. Or fish, dogs and cats. But in the parts of the US, it seems to be a thing people just do anyway.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
True but you still filter what news you put up here and summarize it.
True, that. Don't want to leave myself in a position of unimpartiality, perhaps I should just copy/pate the headlines, no risk of filtering if I do that...? We'll try the new format and see how we go:

COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Sunday 5th of September:

220,583,901 known cases and 4,565,868 recorded deaths.

Jobs market set for bumpy ride, says think tank

Almost 50 shops a day disappear from High Streets

Speed, decisiveness, cooperation: how a Taiwan village overcame Delta

Australia reopening ‘could change’ as Covid continues to strain hospitals

'Foolish' - health experts condemn decision to lift Commons restrictions

Iran records 610 new Covid deaths

Mississippi sees surge

Children will be able to overrule parental objections to them having Covid jabs

Russia’s coronavirus cases have surpassed 7 million

The Vietnamese government has set a deadline of 15 September for everyone in its main cities to have at least one jab

Brazil’s federal health regulator has suspended the use of over 12 million doses of vaccines developed by China’s Sinovac firm

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
True but you still filter what news you put up here and summarize it.
I'd say he does a lot better than CNN and Fox, and @NaffNaffBobFace is not even a journalist and doesn't pretend to be.

True, that. Don't want to leave myself in a position of unimpartiality, perhaps I should just copy/pate the headlines, no risk of filtering if I do that...? We'll try the new format and see how we go:
If you continue, and I hope you do - might I suggest just doing so as you please, and not the way anyone else tells you to until told otherwise by @Montoya.

BTW The links to BBC work, but I can't tell what the story is about until I read some of it, and that is harder for me than almost anyone understands. But that is my issue, not yours.

As for the guardian this is what it does to links because TEST is not subscribed.

guardian.PNG

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'd say he does a lot better than CNN and Fox, and @NaffNaffBobFace is not even a journalist and doesn't pretend to be.

If you continue, and I hope you do - might I suggest just doing so as you please, and not the way anyone else tells you to until told otherwise by @Montoya.

BTW The links to BBC work, but I can't tell what the story is about until I read some of it, and that is harder for me than almost anyone understands. But that is my issue, not yours.

As for the guardian this is what it does to links because TEST is not subscribed.

View attachment 21309
Thanks for the kind feedback, the guardian one isnt subscriber it's just a news feed of the days happenings.

Unfortunately because of this there isn't a direct link to the indevidual articles to use unless they are in the summery on the side of the feed.

Reactions: Vavrik

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Your headlines are not the point I was attempting to make. It's more a comment about what gets included not how it's worded.

Without a doubt, it's been my first stop in the morning even before google news.

Hopefully, it's always as he pleases. I was not questioning the accuracy of the story more the reason behind why these stories were being shared. And filtering is more than just the summarizing of the headline/content but also what stories are and are not shared. After all, there is power in the sharing of knowledge and the ability to craft a narrative that can be both helpful and harmful. A tool that has become very real and very polarizing in lots of mainstream media companies recently (not that it's a new development as the sharing of stories has always been a tool to inform and to control) and so it does come back to what do you wish to accomplish. Are you attempting to be as neutral as possible are you attempting to shape or are you but a repeater ignorant to the crafted narrative from which you derive your worldview? There is no real right answer to the question more what are you comfortable with and capable of providing an answer to the question, why these stories why include a story on a Dr who lies about the state of a hospital? Is it because he states a fact that a doctor states taking horse dewormer and its risks is worth sharing even if his alarm about the outcome is fabricated if not believable by those who wish it to be true while decisive by those who should heed the warning? For they are not going to see Dr warns against taking horse dewormer as its unsafe, instead they are going to see lying doctor tries to scare people from taking horse dewormer and end up reinforcing their mistrust of the scientific community. While the other side is going to see dumb people take horse dewormer and flood overcrowded hospital ER. It is this that I questioned why include it when the more important part was a warning about the inherent risks with self-medicating especially of packaged medicine not meant to be administered to humans and any doctor would be a great source on that. Be careful of the narrative you wish to convey for you have the intelligence to shape it however you choose.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Your headlines are not the point I was attempting to make. It's more a comment about what gets included not how it's worded.

Without a doubt, it's been my first stop in the morning even before google news.

Hopefully, it's always as he pleases. I was not questioning the accuracy of the story more the reason behind why these stories were being shared. And filtering is more than just the summarizing of the headline/content but also what stories are and are not shared. After all, there is power in the sharing of knowledge and the ability to craft a narrative that can be both helpful and harmful. A tool that has become very real and very polarizing in lots of mainstream media companies recently (not that it's a new development as the sharing of stories has always been a tool to inform and to control) and so it does come back to what do you wish to accomplish. Are you attempting to be as neutral as possible are you attempting to shape or are you but a repeater ignorant to the crafted narrative from which you derive your worldview? There is no real right answer to the question more what are you comfortable with and capable of providing an answer to the question, why these stories why include a story on a Dr who lies about the state of a hospital? Is it because he states a fact that a doctor states taking horse dewormer and its risks is worth sharing even if his alarm about the outcome is fabricated if not believable by those who wish it to be true while decisive by those who should heed the warning? For they are not going to see Dr warns against taking horse dewormer as its unsafe, instead they are going to see lying doctor tries to scare people from taking horse dewormer and end up reinforcing their mistrust of the scientific community. While the other side is going to see dumb people take horse dewormer and flood overcrowded hospital ER. It is this that I questioned why include it when the more important part was a warning about the inherent risks with self-medicating especially of packaged medicine not meant to be administered to humans and any doctor would be a great source on that. Be careful of the narrative you wish to convey for you have the intelligence to shape it however you choose.
He's sharing the stories that interest him and his opinion about them. The word "catharsis" is even in the title he uses. If you don't know what that means, look it up. A dictionary is helpful, but also check Wikipedia, there's an excellent description there including it's history which adds some context to the dictionary definition.
Remember, this is a gamer forum, not a news feed, when I want a newsfeed I go to one. When I want to find out about the folks I play SC with, I come here.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
He's sharing the stories that interest him and his opinion about them. The word "catharsis" is even in the title he uses. If you don't know what that means, look it up. A dictionary is helpful, but also check Wikipedia, there's an excellent description there including it's history which adds some context to the dictionary definition.
Remember, this is a gamer forum, not a news feed, when I want a newsfeed I go to one. When I want to find out about the folks I play SC with, I come here.
A bit condescending don't you think? And while this is a gamer forum within it is far more than topics related to Star Citizen or games in general especially given that this thread is in the forum marked off-topic. Nor did I say NaffNaffBobFace is posting a news feed, the question originally was a question on the subject of his posting and specifically why that heading? While did change it just recently to a news feed of sorts and thus the change in questions the original was well within the bounds of asking about the personal reasons for sharing.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
A bit condescending don't you think? And while this is a gamer forum within it is far more than topics related to Star Citizen or games in general especially given that this thread is in the forum marked off-topic. Nor did I say NaffNaffBobFace is posting a news feed, the question originally was a question on the subject of his posting and specifically why that heading?
Sorry if that seemed condescending, the word catharsis is in the forum posts. That has certain connotations that appear to be being missed. See second sentence below.

While did change it just recently to a news feed of sorts and thus the change in questions the original was well within the bounds of asking about the personal reasons for sharing.
So your question was on his personal reasons for sharing. It is actually a kind of art form. I was kind of hoping that you looked it up on Wikipedia.
By the way, I'm done. Leave you to it.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
As always, I heartily recommend wherever I have not been able to catch an interesting goings on anyone who wishes to input with reports from their local area or any other bits and bobs they have found please do join in.

COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Monday 6th of September:

220,990,240 logged cases and 4,573,126 logged deaths.

Has Covid killed off business cards for good?

India gave more jabs than all G7 nations in August

UK passes seven million Covid cases

Social care plans facing Tory tax backlash

NHS to get £5.4bn extra to deal with Covid backlog

Philippines infections reach new high

Sky News Australia denies broadcasting Covid misinformation

Slovakia's bishops relax vaccine rules around Papal visit

Afghanistan could lose the majority of its Covid-19 isolation beds

Vietnam’s capital Hanoi extended Covid-19 restrictions for a further two weeks

A Vietnamese man has been sentenced to five years in prison for breaking quarantine and spreading Covid-19 to others

The American state of Mississippi’s hospitals are being overwhelmed

New Zealand will ease Covid curbs in all regions outside its biggest city of Auckland from midnight on Tuesday

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Just to make it easier on MrBobFace and so were all not nitpicking his much appreciated volunteer work, I say MrBobFace only disseminates information gathered from either CNN's MSNBC's or FOX's opinion panels.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Tuesday 7th of September:

- World: Global Confirmed 221,543,937, Global Deaths 4,581,396.

- World: Climate groups appeal for Cop26 to be postponed because of Covid travel restrictions

- US: Confirmed 40,096,188

- UK: Health and social care tax announced

- UK: Southampton, Unjabbed frontline hospital staff to be redeployed

- UK: Four in five over-16s now fully vaccinated

- UK: Britain records highest number of deaths since March

- Italy: Italy to start offering third vaccine doses to 'clinically vulnerable' people this month

- Indonesia: Indonesia's positivity rate drops below 5%

- Singapore: Singapore recorded its highest number of cases in a year

- Sweden: Sweden will remove virtually all coronavirus restrictions on 29 September

- US: Idaho have today activated “crisis standards of care” for the state’s northern hospitals

- Japan: Japan has agreed to buy 150m doses of Novavax’s coronavirus vaccine

- Philippines: The Philippines recorded a record high of 22,415 new infections

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The subreddit named HermanCainAward used to be pretty quiet. https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/

For those who need a refresher, Herman Cain was an American conservative politician, anti mask.. the usual.

Nine days after attending the Trump rally in Tulsa he was diagnosed with Covid, he died a month later.

The amount of new posts hitting r/HermanCainAward/ now is pretty bad!

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The whole Ivermectin business makes no sense to me. It's an anti-parasitic drug to treat well....parasites. COVID19 is a VIRUS.

Sure it may have some effect on COVID19 when used in vitro but you'll need to use it in such high doses that it's basically lethal and kills the host.....you know...human patients. Whoops.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The whole Ivermectin business makes no sense to me. It's an anti-parasitic drug to treat well....parasites. COVID19 is a VIRUS.

Sure it may have some effect on COVID19 when used in vitro but you'll need to use it in such high doses that it's basically lethal and kills the host.....you know...human patients. Whoops.
I agree and in fact yesterday CNN ran a story that while some people might be taking Ivermectin or asking to take it, the truth is that the local news agency crafted a very misleading story.

It was a poor piece of journalism -- inadequate in its reporting, inaccurate in its depiction of what was happening in Oklahoma. The story, which was first published by a local news outlet, baselessly suggested that overdoses among people taking ivermectin to fight Covid-19 were a primary factor in filling up hospitals in the state.
There was no evidence for this
There was a bunch of imprudent aggregation here. Rolling Stone ran an adaptation of the KFOR story without appearing to do sufficient research to make sure the local report was sound. And Rolling Stone used an even-more-inflammatory headline: "Gunshot Victims Left Waiting as Horse Dewormer Overdoses Overwhelm Oklahoma Hospitals, Doctor Says." (Rolling Stone, which didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on Tuesday, changed the headline and added an "update" after one hospital McElyea works with issued a statement that called the initial story into question. We'll discuss that hospital statement more in a moment.)
As I said earlier I was not even sure how this was news.

There are good reasons for liberals to be worried about the impact of Americans taking ivermectin for Covid-19, particularly instead of getting vaccinated. But that doesn't excuse the decision to promote thin but sensational claims about the impact of the drug.

This is such a prime example of how quickly we latch onto stories that support our worldview desires and how careful we need to be to validate the legitimacy of what is being reported.

Forgot your password?