Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
So, all the doom and gloom aside, here's the real question:
How are all of you doing? How is everyone managing, coping, etc? How is everyone's mental health?

Resource:
As good as can be I suppose. Trying to stay positive. I'm cooking as much for the lady during the week since she comes back exhausted from the hospital every day. Gonna try and mess around with coding (either Python or Javascript) during this downtown. Revisiting screenwriting. Basically trying to keep my mind active as much as I can. Being laid off due to Covid19 sucks but I figure once people run out of stuff to watch on Netflix, they'll be screaming for us film workers to get back to filming.

Who am I kidding....just gaming and hanging out with you lot lol.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I love the universe they created for it, but honestly, the writing was just bleh. Poe steals the show IMO, well written and acted, everybody else was pretty forgettable.
Yeah he seems to be a fan favourite. Did Anthony Mackie pull it off as Joel Kinnerman's replacement?

Anyway the thing that impressed me the most working on the show were the sets. They spent some serious money building those sets. I was actually hanging out on the catwalks/green bed operating the big lights for some of the sets.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Wow! that moved fast!
We appear to be well and truly on the upward curve now for confirming cases, however the fatality rate is still thankfully constant. but with the higher level of cases only time will tell. Hoping for the best.

It seems the UK's chance to truly contain it like Singapore did was squandered in the first two weeks when the whole herd immunity thing was being touted. To only be closing the schools at the end of last week was leaving a huge transmission system up and running.

I will say no more on it, as I could pontificate all day and conspiracy theories are not helpful at a time of global crisis (and man, do I have my theories LOL!).

All I can do now is watch the charts and reminisce about that two week grace period lead we had which suddenly turned in to "The science changed, we will be Italy in 3 weeks". The science didn't change, the interpretation of the science changed. The world becomes no more or less round if a Flat Earther suddenly decides their world is a Globe after all.

Chart I have decided to build for UK cases because it's my doorstep, and helps me feel like I have some control in an uncontrollable situation even though I hardly have 7 days of consistent data:

Chartorama22-03-20.jpg

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
So Australia is kind of shutting down as the number of cases increase to stave off overwhelming the hospital system.
  • We've been advised to avoid all unnecessary travel domestically.
  • People on Jobseeker and low income support benefits will receive an additional $550 per fortnight for the next 6 months. This is also extended to sole traders and the self-employed.
  • There are significant wage subsidies for small businesses (up to $100,000 PA) .
  • Businesses will be able to instantly write off assets to the value of $150,000.
  • School holidays in Victoria have been brought forward and will start on Tuesday.
  • The Governments of New South Wales, Victoria, and the ACT will proceed to shutdown non-essential services over the next 48 hours. Supermarkets, petrol stations, pharmacies, convenience stores, freight and logistics, and home delivery will be among the many services that will remain open.
  • We're still not sure what "non-essential" means. Thankfully bottle shops* are remaining open - this is Australia.
  • Western Australia and South Australia will close their borders from Tuesday afternoon.
Our Prime minister has said the Covid-19 pandemic will be “the toughest economic situation we’ve likely seen since the Great Depression”.

The government is trying to minimise job losses and mitigate unemployment during the next 6 months by keeping people solvent and the money flowing.

*liquor stores

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
So, all the doom and gloom aside, here's the real question:
How are all of you doing? How is everyone managing, coping, etc? How is everyone's mental health?

Resource:
I'm doing perfectly fine right now. I'm considered "essential employee" and continue with my job. I've heard people in Los Angeles say police have started pulling people over asking where they're going and why they're out. My job gave me a paper I posted earlier to give them.

But honestly, I'm getting a little scared. Due to people overbuying and hoarding while shopping it's creating a sort of perceived shortage. There is no actual shortage of toilet paper, bottled water, food, or anything else right now. But people don't listen and freak out. I'm wondering how long it takes some people to realize that truckers can often carry up to 40 tons of food in the back. I bought myself a stun gun and some pepper spray. I know some guys packing guns.

I hope this doesn't get too much worse or we're going to see stories popping up of drivers being hijacked.

diskawrs

Captain
Feb 13, 2020
RSI Handle
diskawrs
Before Coronavirus, the UK threw away
1 million loaves of bread
1.9 million eggs
1/6 of all the milk produced

That's not annually. That's EVERY SINGLE DAY And we still fed 67 million people 365 days a year.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
The truth is that the Asian countries that have handled this better are either more organized (South Korea/Japan) and/or authoritarian like Singapore. My family's from Singapore and when the Government tells you to stay indoors, that's not a friendly request, it's an order backed up by threats of legal and financial punishment. I'm not saying Western countries should follow suit but they can't tolerate this laissez faire attitude of their citizens if they're serious about stopping Covid19.

• Love
Reactions: Blind Owl

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Two things. First, those of you in Germany I figured its important to know your head of state is in quarantine.

Second, to add to my preparedness questions i posited earlier, are you ready to deal with a hurricane on top of all of this? Its a very real scenario as we'll be headed into hurricane season.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Two things. First, those of you in Germany I figured its important to know your head of state is in quarantine.

Second, to add to my preparedness questions i posited earlier, are you ready to deal with a hurricane on top of all of this? Its a very real scenario as we'll be headed into hurricane season.
Yeah Trudeau has been in self isolation for awhile now as his wife test positive after coming back from the UK. Dude comes out of the house to speak on a podium from time to time. Other than that he's been working from home...or making babies with that hot wife of his...who knows lol.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Before Coronavirus, the UK threw away
1 million loaves of bread
1.9 million eggs
1/6 of all the milk produced

That's not annually. That's EVERY SINGLE DAY And we still fed 67 million people 365 days a year.
Man, I don't even want to know the statistics of what the US throw out every day. We're a very wasteful country. We're still probably throwing things out even with the outbreak.

Forgot your password?