Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I call bullshit. Look at Australia and New Zealand’s data. First world, excellent tracing and reporting. Both had very similar strategies and reaction times.

Compare with Sweden.
Australia and New Zealand both have always been outliers on any virus propagation and a lot of that has to do with the generally low population density outside of a few urban built-up areas.

Australia 3.1 people per square kilometer, total population 25,467,000.
New Zealand 18 per square kilometer, total population 4,886,000

Sweden 24 people per square kilometer total population 10,230,000
USA 36 people per square kilometer total population 328,200,000

New Zealand didn't have its first local transmission reported until March 5th. A full month after it had denied entry to New Zealand from China on Feb 3rd.

Australia didn't have its first local transmission reported until March 2nd. Feb 1st banned entry to Australia from China. Australia started closing down its non-essential services on March 22nd.

Jan 14th WHO said preliminary investigations conducted by Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission. Jan 20th was confirmed human to human transmissions was possible.

USA Feb 2 travel restrictions from China. End of March and early April stay at home quarantines implemented. It is theorized that the virus was in the USA as early as November where Michael Melham tested positive for antibodies and said he came down sick after a convention in Atlantic City in November. Prior to this, the first reported local transmission was Jan 30th .

Sweden first reported local transmission was March March 6th. March 13th Sweden implemented measures to delay the spread among the population and to protect the elderly. In mid April 1/3rd of the 1300 who had died were living in nursing homes.

This is all to show that it wasn't about the excellent tracking and reporting until New Zealand and Australia are testing a large percent of their population weekly they will not truly know who is and is not infected. They also benefited from generally lower populations and spread out population centers which hamper the transmission of the virus, coupled with a long time before first reported local transmission meant they had more time to prepare.

It will still be interesting to see if Australia will be able to stomp out the virus or if it will continue to slowly burn in the cities for the next year.

Reactions: August

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
TLDR. USA is fucked. Rest of the world baffled.
HOW DARE YOU! 🤬

But in all seriousness, a lot of what other countries did can not work in the US because all we got here was a $1200, and not even all the people that needed that money got it.

So your work is closed, you need to pay bills. Your landlord needs to pay his mortgage, he needs your rent, you have other bills... what do you do?

The sense of urgency to re-open has been pushed out as the patriotic thing to do. Many will die, but the economy will be saved.

NASDAQ is already almost back to all time highs, we can celebrate!

Reactions: Radegast74

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Me: Sweden has highest mortality rate per capita (shows link to article)

Colddog: You arrogant asshole!
Should actually read like this:

Montoya: Because I am an arrogant asshole - "I think the Swedish experiment can be concluded at this point."

Me: Yes, you are an arrogant asshole!

Reactions: Bambooza

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Montoya: Due to having the highest mortality rate per capita, I will say the Swedish experiment is concluded.

Colddog: OMG YOU ARROGANT ASSHOLE!

😆

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Back to work, plebs! My 401k's and other retirement accounts need your asses out there, working!

Don't worry, we'll re-write the narrative so that there was nothing anybody could have done to save your asses, so you don't have to feel bad!

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
HOW DARE YOU! 🤬

But in all seriousness, a lot of what other countries did can not work in the US because all we got here was a $1200, and not even all the people that needed that money got it.

So your work is closed, you need to pay bills. Your landlord needs to pay his mortgage, he needs your rent, you have other bills... what do you do?

The sense of urgency to re-open has been pushed out as the patriotic thing to do. Many will die, but the economy will be saved.

NASDAQ is already almost back to all time highs, we can celebrate!

It was a very short time that "killing granny to save the economy" went from joke to policy position.

Also I've lost quite a bit on put options so I am made of salt.

But it is yet to be seen whether people will actually go out and restart the economy or stay hunkered down for the most part. I'm thinking it will be the latter.

I'm not convinced we couldn't have the best of all worlds if everyone just agreed to wear masks like in Taiwan and Hong Kong, but that might not be possible anymore.

Also, jumping into this thread way late. Hi all.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Montoya: Due to having the highest mortality rate per capita, I will say the Swedish experiment is concluded.
Montoya: Due to having the highest mortality rate per capita, I will say the Swedish experiment is concluded, after 3 WHOLE months - that is MY professional opinion as STAR MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE.

Colddog: Yes, you are RIGHT, YOU ARROGANT ASSHOLE!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
But it is yet to be seen whether people will actually go out and restart the economy or stay hunkered down for the most part. I'm thinking it will be the latter.
Yeah thats the tough part.

Your kids playing at the park will be fine, you will be fine, but grandma might die.

Do you take the risk?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Montoya: Hmm, judging from the data, it seems Swedens idea of not locking down is not working out too well. Here is Sweden vs Norway

1590033338741.png
1590033356059.png

Colddog: OMG YOU ARROGANT ASSHOLE! ITS TOO EARLY TO TELL!

😄

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Montoya: Hmm, judging from the data, it seems Swedens idea of not locking down is not working out too well. Here is Sweden vs Norway
Montoya: After 3 WHOLE months of sitting home and watching graphs I have concluded the Swedish Experiment has FAILED!!! Those idiots... I told them NOT to do it!

1590034070446.png

ColdDog: Yes, you arrogant ass, yes it is too early to tell.

:)

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Read the article colddog...

Why is the UK higher in your chart? Well... lets READ! Pay attention to the 2nd and then the last paragraph.

1590036597633.png

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Read the article colddog...

Why is the UK higher in your chart? Well... lets READ! Pay attention to the 2nd and then the last paragraph.

View attachment 16071
I'm not sure why we are trying to say they are failing due to their higher per day death rate when the argument can be made that at the end of 2020 they will have a similar total cov-19 deaths as any other country. It could be they just got there faster and were over it sooner than the rest of us.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
@NaffNaffBobFace see that "little" number that is the deaths (delta)... wow I guess the world is falling. Look, I get it, per capita, but the data most folks subscribe to here is the data you want to see. Yes, another lesson in econ 101 - Data can lie. I am by no means an economic person... but I do remember my fundamentals. So, as everyone bashes America with its death rate, per capita does not apply, but when Canada is placed against a smaller population country, it does. Go figure.

View attachment 16051

View attachment 16052
Thanks for the clarification, I have no further questions.

I've been reading around the subject of the deconstruction of the UK Empire, Americas apparent centuries long role in that and the current wane and collapse of the American Empire. It's been a fascinating read and I feel it has given me fresh perspective on your posts in this thread which may have not been 100% COVID-19 related. 👍

Keep smiling, tomorrow is another day.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HtHEgINHO0

Last edited:
Forgot your password?