Botswana
Ghana
Hong Kong
Japan
Australia
Canada

(Omicron is red)
View attachment 22023

I'll be honest, I'm a bit concerned about this variant.
As of yesterday, it had been confirmed in several more countries (38) including the US. This is changing very quickly, far quicker than Delta or Beta - and this seems to be Beta striking back at Delta for prevalence. Hopefully they don't play ping-pong.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
As of yesterday, it had been confirmed in several more countries (38) including the US. This is changing very quickly, far quicker than Delta or Beta - and this seems to be Beta striking back at Delta for prevalence. Hopefully they don't play ping-pong.
Yeah man, Idk why this variant has me more worried than Delta, but it does. Its that krinkly gut feeling. Thanks for the info. Its not looking good.

There is also talk that there are more children under the age of 9 infected than before.
You may have missed it a couple pages back, but yeah man it hitting kids is very very concerning. They don't need to suffer this. I mean no one does, but hopefully this is a wake up call for some people.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I've been spending most the day reading a lot of the news, and yeah there really isnt enough evidence out there to say if its worse or not, but they are claiming it definitely is different. You see how they say it may now have some of the characteristics of the common cold, being able to evade immune response, and then this article claiming its 3 times more likely to reinfect.

Omicron coronavirus variant has higher risk of reinfection than delta, South Africa researchers say - The Washington Post

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I've been spending most the day reading a lot of the news, and yeah there really isnt enough evidence out there to say if its worse or not, but they are claiming it definitely is different. You see how they say it may now have some of the characteristics of the common cold, being able to evade immune response, and then this article claiming its 3 times more likely to reinfect.
Keep in mind that one of the major viruses that causes the common cold is a Beta Corona virus. All variants of COVID-19 descend from that line. It is not surprising that some of the genetics, and even some of the symptoms mimic the common cold, it's in their genetics already.

This is one of the root reasons why it's going to be very difficult to definitively pin this on China. Beta Corona viruses have been infecting the great apes (which include us) for millions of years.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I have been catching up on things since it has been nice not to follow it for a few months, I am hoping that given that it seems this variant is spreading quicker (it might not be) that it has a higher chance of dying off. Maybe its time to fire up Plague Inc again.....

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I want to be optimistic... just not so sure on this one... but it is from one of the main hospital groups in the country:

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/trending/426180-omicron-could-be-the-end-of-covid.html?utm_source=newsletter

What are your thoughts?
If it is the case with this one, they would still have to hope:

A) it becomes the global dominant variant which is not guaranteed but seems likely,
2) none of the other variants develop an even more infectious variant than Omicron while retaining previous or indeed increasing severe illness rates,
iii) that Infection by the less serious Omicron offers immune protection against all other variants such as Delta etc.

Fingers are crossed that this sees the end to the life threatening stage of the endemic however there is still a lot to discover about this variant.

11% of hospitalisations being children under the age of 2 years old is a concerning statistic, however. Remember the days when it was commonly stated that "it doesn't effect kids"?

Last edited:

SoloPlayerZA

Grand Admiral
May 1, 2019
RSI Handle
SoloPlayerZA
11% of hospitalisations being children under the age of 2 years old is a concerning statistic, however. Remember the days when it was commonly accepted that "it doesn't effect kids"?
I have thought about this a little as I have a 7month old. These are all covid babies - and potentially first time parents. So if I was told my baby has covid, I would take him to the hospital for observation and just to make sure he is fine. The schools were open just before, so the chance of infection was higher than before. Also, people are getting too comfortable and not as cautious as before. The great thing is that none of these babies had complications.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I have thought about this a little as I have a 7month old. These are all covid babies - and potentially first time parents. So if I was told my baby has covid, I would take him to the hospital for observation and just to make sure he is fine. The schools were open just before, so the chance of infection was higher than before. Also, people are getting too comfortable and not as cautious as before. The great thing is that none of these babies had complications.
Many thanks for the article, good to hear reports on the ground - hopeful but wary.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I had 6 rug rats to raise so I can say with confidence you hit the nail on the head. It's common for children, especially very young children to be admitted to the hospital for observation for a day or two. Just to be sure.

Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Dunno how that double posted. First time I've seen it this thread. Tried to delete the second post, it didn't delete, can't be arsed to try any harder, so December the 6th - So good they posted it twice.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Well so I liked it twice... and your Dunno post too... Just to be clear, we like THAT your posting, though half the news seems like it belongs as part of a thriller movie plot. They could call it "Between" or something. Oh wait, that's already taken.

Forgot your password?