Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Everyone,
I apologize for being a jerk, especially to my last reply @Vavrik. Sometimes, I forget things that are obvious to me are not obvious to everyone else (context in my mind cannot be properly conveyed through simple discussions without going into too much detail). This is a serious discussion, and no matter what I think (important or not), it is important to you. My intentions are not bad, I was just making light of a sensitive subject. Not sure I meant to troll, but that is how it came out. I'll try to do better, but I am not perfect, and I can be the an asshole - at least interpreted that way.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Everyone,
I apologize for being a jerk, especially to my last reply @Vavrik. Sometimes, I forget things that are obvious to me are not obvious to everyone else (context in my mind cannot be properly conveyed through simple discussions without going into too much detail). This is a serious discussion, and no matter what I think (important or not), it is important to you. My intentions are not bad, I was just making light of a sensitive subject. Not sure I meant to troll, but that is how it came out. I'll try to do better, but I am not perfect, and I can be the an asshole - at least interpreted that way.
I don't think I need to be singled out in an apology, but thanks.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Four score and *checks watch* nine days ago I got 8 tests which I'm down to my last one. Still positive but on the way out...

Ordered more tests to arrive today and could you imagine it, they are delayed until Monday :-/

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Four score and *checks watch* nine days ago I got 8 tests which I'm down to my last one. Still positive but on the way out...

Ordered more tests to arrive today and could you imagine it, they are delayed until Monday :-/
Ya, taking more tests is not going to make you magically not pregnant. You really should talk to your doctor about what steps you need to take next.

(Honestly, I am just glad to hear that you nor your family have had any complications)

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Ya, taking more tests is not going to make you magically not pregnant. You really should talk to your doctor about what steps you need to take next.
That's good advice, there is more to add... funny because it's similar to a pregnancy test:

The problem with the strategy is, you're most infectious BEFORE you test positive yourself.
This is what so many don't understand:
If you got a negative test yesterday, and a positive test today... you might have infected a lot of people before that positive test (unless you're a hermit.) Then, you continue to test positive for up to 5 or 10 days AFTER the virus has gone.

The reason why is that it is an antigen test, it detects fragments of proteins from the virus - not the live virus. It will test positive as long as your body takes to clear enough of the proteins that the numbers are below the detection limit. Nobody gets sick due to these protein fragments. They're the leftover trash from previously being infected.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
That's good advice, there is more to add... funny because it's similar to a pregnancy test:

The problem with the strategy is, you're most infectious BEFORE you test positive yourself.
This is what so many don't understand:
If you got a negative test yesterday, and a positive test today... you might have infected a lot of people before that positive test (unless you're a hermit.) Then, you continue to test positive for up to 5 or 10 days AFTER the virus has gone.

The reason why is that it is an antigen test, it detects fragments of proteins from the virus - not the live virus. It will test positive as long as your body takes to clear enough of the proteins that the numbers are below the detection limit. Nobody gets sick due to these protein fragments. They're the leftover trash from previously being infected.
Yeah the antigen test is sadly not the best. The PCR is what I’ve been getting at work.

Unless you’re getting it at work or whatever it’s, unfortunately, prohibitively expensive. When I flew out of LAX last year, I had to pay for mine and it was $180. Yikes.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
When I flew out of LAX last year, I had to pay for mine and it was $180. Yikes.
Holy crap! Fortunately, you can avoid that now if you're fully vaccinated.

When I went to BC in June, we had to have proof of vaccination, and wear a mask to go to Canada - for the whole flight. Coming back, same vaccination requirement, but we had to wear a mask while the airplane was in Canada. I'd fallen asleep by the time we left the runway in Vancouver, and didn't wake up until we were landing in Houston. Ended up wearing the mask the whole time. What I get for a redeye flight.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

When I went to BC in June, we had to have proof of vaccination, and wear a mask to go to Canada - for the whole flight. Coming back, same vaccination requirement, but we had to wear a mask while the airplane was in Canada. I'd fallen asleep by the time we left the runway in Vancouver, and didn't wake up until we were landing in Houston. Ended up wearing the mask the whole time. What I get for a redeye flight.
Falling asleep is the only way I survive flying on domestic carriers as the seats are so small. The worse is when I fall asleep before they close the door and wake up on pushback thinking we are landing.

To think next week I will be taking the kids on their first plane ride. Not sure there is enough alcohol to make this a good idea.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Falling asleep is the only way I survive flying on domestic carriers as the seats are so small. The worse is when I fall asleep before they close the door and wake up on pushback thinking we are landing.

To think next week I will be taking the kids on their first plane ride. Not sure there is enough alcohol to make this a good idea.
Just because it's kind of funny: My oldest son, and my oldest daughter were a snap to take on a plane. No problems with them, and my son was fascinated with looking out the window. Not sure what he was looking at. I mean the clouds were upside down perhaps?

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

Yeah good. I’m back in Oregon visiting my wife’s family. If that whole compulsory $180 PCR testing was still a thing….she would have needed to drag me kicking and screaming across the border. That money’s for internet spaceships!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
This was a bit interesting... 🧐🤔
I'm not entirely sure that anyone credible has taken a lab leak of some sort off the table, except China's propaganda machinery. The fact is, outside of China nobody knows for sure, but last I heard it remains a strong contender. The issues with the Wuhan lab that everyone knows about is the problems with containment and handling in their supposedly level 4 biolab. Currently that is the top contender. It is a straight line, and a straight line usually has the highest probability.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Just when you thought it was safe to go into the kiddy pool...really, does anybody think the kiddy pool is safe?

The writer is enjoys a good pun, enjoy the virus-free prose!
But if you find such euphoric respite at a children's splash pad, that soothing spray could quickly turn to a sickening spew, as the drips and drops may be doused with diarrheal pathogens. Each patter may offer a splat of infectious germs that, if accidentally ingested, could transform you into a veritable fecal fountain in the ensuing days.
As usual, common sense precautions will save you a lot of butt-ache and butt-leakage:
For now, though, simple messaging can also help prevent splashy outbreaks, such as signs telling splashers and caregivers: "Don't get in the water if sick with diarrhea," "Don't stand or sit above the jets," and "Don't swallow the water."

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I'm not entirely sure that anyone credible has taken a lab leak of some sort off the table, except China's propaganda machinery. The fact is, outside of China nobody knows for sure, but last I heard it remains a strong contender. The issues with the Wuhan lab that everyone knows about is the problems with containment and handling in their supposedly level 4 biolab. Currently that is the top contender. It is a straight line, and a straight line usually has the highest probability.
The problem is, based on a) the wide range of animals they slaughter and eat there, and b) their "sanitary practices" during slaughter (or lack thereof), the whole friggin' country is a de facto bio lab.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The problem is, based on a) the wide range of animals they slaughter and eat there, and b) their "sanitary practices" during slaughter (or lack thereof), the whole friggin' country is a de facto bio lab.
Yeah that's a problem too. Did these guys they found eat something most of us wouldn't?

Forgot your password?