Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Fell asleep Friday afternoon. Got out of bed Sunday. Tested positive.

Breathlessness and extreme tiredness with a low tier, persistent cough, have been my symptoms, largely. Entire family got it - I was last - so I'm last to shift it. So far, so good. Triple vaxxed.
Good to hear its not too servere and hope it lifts fast amd fully for you. If this was your first time you were in the last 15% of people in thr uk to succumb so well done if so.

I only have a lingering need to blow my nose every few hours and some days brainfog happens but somtimes i wonder if on those days i'm just not bored and frustrated which seems to have a similar effect on attention span...

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Man, this poor guys suffering really bookends the whole COVID experience (assuming we are near the end...something assume something something ASS something):

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I hate needles!
Me too, in the UK the Teburculosis vaccine given at the age of about 12 years old is delivered in a syringe with nine needles on the end which leaves a permanant scar.

Nightmare fuel. The nurses had to headlock me to inject that without me flinching and breaking them off in my arm.

I still don't like them but compared to that one a normal needle is not too bad.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
That wasn't for TB. That's the BCG you might have gotten in early secondary school, but they stopped giving in 2005.

There is/was a 5, 6 (possibly had 9) punctures vaccine though.
It's probably the 10-12 year old vaccine for diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, polio, Haemophiles influenzae type b
(Has a slightly different vaccine schedule in the US and Canada, and I actually think that I only know the old schedule for the UK)

damn, the things I remember from working in that ☝industry so long ago, and I only wrote some of the software to track who got what when.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
That wasn't for TB. That's the BCG you might have gotten in early secondary school, but they stopped giving in 2005.

There is/was a 5, 6 (possibly had 9) punctures vaccine though.
It's probably the 10-12 year old vaccine for diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, polio, Haemophiles influenzae type b
(Has a slightly different vaccine schedule in the US and Canada, and I actually think that I only know the old schedule for the UK)

damn, the things I remember from working in that ☝industry so long ago, and I only wrote some of the software to track who got what when.
Wow awesome! It was probably the combined tetanus but all i know is everyone my age calls that scar the TB jab so its likely my school educated us wrong :-D it was around the time the MMR jab was getting a bad rap so calling it a combi was probably being avoided to stop morons from being put off.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ya the wife called me a baby but I still stuck it out and got my booster. The after effects were not bad a little tired and a sore arm but it's worn off quickly.

I don't think I would have an issue stabbing something else with needles just myself. I also hate the feel of cotton balls.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If you're still interested: This kind of shocking news was released in the last day. Pfizer has some answering to do better than this. The speed of science is not a thing.

Super interesting. Explains the sudden flip from the "hurd immunity" message in the country I'm in to "for fuck sake just take your medicine". It didn't seem to be gradual at all.

Last edited:

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
I always thought that stopping transmission was a secondary thing, not a primary claim. The best outcome was preventing symptomatic infection. The "slow the spread" rhetoric was about avoiding overwhelming hospitals. Regardless, Pfizer has dropped the ball, we need a sterilizing or pan-coronavirus vaccine.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
I always thought that stopping transmission was a secondary thing, not a primary claim. The best outcome was preventing symptomatic infection. The "slow the spread" rhetoric was about avoiding overwhelming hospitals. Regardless, Pfizer has dropped the ball, we need a sterilizing or pan-coronavirus vaccine.
Not sure I follow all of that (surely you didn't mean sterilizing people?!), but I seem to recall when the UK and other governments first approved the Pfizer vaccine in late 2000, it was on the grounds that we have clinical evidence that it reduced the likelihood of severe illness and hospitalization, and of death. At that point, we (humans) didn't yet have enough data to know if it stopped transmission, and if I read that article correctly, that's what the Pfizer spokesperson said, in answer to that very specific question.

But at the time, that shouldn't have been reason to not certify the vaccine? By that point it was shown to be sufficiently safe, and effective at saving lives. That was enough. Sure, we knew herd immunity was and is something desirable. But so was/is saving lives!

Later, once we had more data and more time to analyze it, we learned that the Pfizer vaccine (and the others too) also reduced (you could say prevented if you're being casual about it) transmission of Covid. That data just took longer to gather and validate. So, this feels a bit like a storm in a teacup to me. The article seems like a bit of manufactured (or ignorant/willful) indignation. Am I missing something?

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
Not sure I follow all of that (surely you didn't mean sterilizing people?!), but I seem to recall when the UK and other governments first approved the Pfizer vaccine in late 2000, it was on the grounds that we have clinical evidence that it reduced the likelihood of severe illness and hospitalization, and of death... Am I missing something?
A sterilizing vaccine is one that produces enough immunity to kill the virus before it infects you. Nothing about sterilizing people! It's used most often nowadays to refer to nasal vaccines, they're hoping mucosal immunity will do what injected vaccines could not.

And no, you're not missing anything. It is a manufactured outrage cycle going in my opinion.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Just for clarity, the issue is the lack of evidence of due diligence on the part of the company with respect to their own claims about the product i.e. a manufacturer cannot advertise or promote a controlled substance using language that insinuates something that is unsupported by their filings (evidence required) with regulatory agencies.

These rules apply in almost all countries and include anything that's usage includes putting in or on your body. Food, drugs, cosmetics, etc. are all generally included. Things like clothing can be, if they are made from substances that are controlled.

The fine for making an unsubstantiated claim is hefty in most countries.

I work in a controlled substance industry, for 25 years - either for the regulatory agencies or directly with the companies they regulate.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?