[Discussion] Divisions of TEST - Brainstorm

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
This is pretty goddamn early, but I've been brainstorming ideas on how to condense TEST's various disciplines into as few divisions as possible, and I decided to try breaking it down into broad categories that cover a lot of things, but are distinct from one another. Here is what I have...

• Combat Division
    • Space Combat
    • Marine Combat
    • Field Command
  • Logistics Division
    • Cargo & Passenger Transport
    • Information Logistics
    • Exploration
  • Economy Division
    • Mining & Salvage
    • Trade
    • Production
Regarding other potential "class-able" roles and activities, those will probably fall into one of the three divisions depending on their level of depth in the game as well as their value to the organization. Here is a basic breakdown of the Divisions:

Combat Division - Straightforward, all about fighting; Marine, Space, and Field Command. This is strictly about the practicals of combat, and will have the fewest "specializations" added to it, but have a tremendous amount of utility and flexibility of having other roles and specializations "cross-classing" into combat. Field Command will focus on the practicals of leadership in the field (and anybody with a ego will get a gut-check). If you're an Engineer and you want to try weaponizing a Starfarer into a makeshift minelayer, this is also where you go to test out your ideas.

Logistics Division - This is primarily a highly technical division that focuses also on the practical necessities of moving goods, information, and technology. Planners, Engineers, Science Officers, Data Runners, Hackers and Explorers will find themselves at home in the Logistics Division. This division is what drives the Squadron's capabilities.

Economy Division - This is about money. Making money. Losing money. Breaking Even, or getting space-rich as fuck. This division will probably have the highest amount of 890 Jump owners, too. Miners, Salvagers, Traders, and Factory Operators will be part of this Division. When needed, other "production"-oriented professions will become part of this division.

These categories are very broad and actually help cover new professions that would eventually get introduced to Star Citizen post-launch. Here's an example:

Star Citizen introduces drug production post-launch, as a compliment to the MISC Endeavor and other science-y vessels. If TEST decides to engage in the manufacture of drugs (both legal and illegal), this would fall under "Production" in the Economy Division.

I know what some of you are going to think: "But doesn't this invalidate the squads we've been talking about?!"

The answer is no, it does not invalidate the hard work you've put into brainstorming these squads; Rock Raiders, Infinity, Mothertruckers, Spreadsheet, Yellow Jackets, etc... It also bears noting that some career disciplines such as Medical and Science, are actually cross-career skillsets and as such shouldn't be pigeonholed into their own category. Example: Exploration, Combat, etc will have need of Medics, and therefore those shouldn't be pegged into a specific divisional category.

What this structure does do, is help give a concrete place within the TEST structure for these squads to call home.

And regarding illicit activities like Piracy, that's something that will need to be handled on it own, because there are simply too many questions at this point to address. The structure I proposed above is mainly to address the bulk of TEST's needs.

If you have any questions or feedback about this divisional layout, post it here. I'm exploring various concepts and ideas that might or might not work for TEST when game-time is upon us.

And as a reminder guys, it's kinda my thing to be thinking about these sorts of things so you don't have to. :)

Edit: I posted this later in the thread, putting it in OP for clarity's sake.

UPDATE: In depth comments and breakdown here - https://testsquadron.com/threads/discussion-divisions-of-test-brainstorm.3793/page-5#post-49920

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
  • Combat Division
    • Space Combat
    • Marine Combat
    • Field Command
  • Logistics Division
    • Cargo & Passenger Transport
    • Information Logistics
    • Exploration
  • Economy Division
    • Mining & Salvage
    • Trade
    • Production
Looks good to me.

Reactions: StdDev

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
I totally agree with whatever Montoya says about this.

Nice breakdown, some people like putting order to the chaos. Some people don't like labels. I am the type of person that... oh shiny!

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
What about the racing team division?
Racing is probably going to be independent - if a TESTie wants to race, he can do it either by himself, or receive sponsorship from TEST (or a fellow TESTie). Logistics could help with moving the race equipment, and the Economy Division could help with funding the team. So it's a "Miscellaneous" thing.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
It would be better to change Logistics division to Exploration division. Cargo/transportation should be in econ.
I disagree. The risks then become much higher for our commodities and combat goods. By placing the movement of combat goods and equipment transport under Logistics Division, and trade goods under the Econ Division, we have two separate inventories that thereby improves risk management.

In other words, we're less likely to suffer theft by categorizing the goods and roles under separate umbrellas of responsibility. In addition to this, I would probably prefer that we avoid having people in leadership positions in multiple divisions, as that also raises the risk of theft as well.

I'm just not interested in trusting bean counters with a massive inventory of guns, armor, and ammo.

Edit: From RSI Chat...

(3:40:17 PM) TheGrammarpolice: if we're having divisions, they (inventories) NEED to be separate
(3:40:32 PM) TheGrammarpolice: logistics cannot interrupt trade, and vice-versa
(3:40:37 PM) NKato: Agreed
(3:40:39 PM) TheGrammarpolice: they are the same concept, but not at all the same thing
(3:40:42 PM) NKato: But Logistics CAN assist with trade, and vice versa (should it be called for)
This is a good example of enabling cooperation between divisions, as opposed to putting all the key responsibilities of driving the squadron under one division. I'm not going to encourage 'social clubbing' on the basis of being more important than the other divisions.

Edit 2: And on a tangent, I just realized that for medical-related things, we can split it up into two categories: Medic and Doctor. Those who are full-blown medics are going to work in the field and will be responsible for helping stabilize patients and bringing them to a treatment facility or location. Doctors are responsible for maintaining and operating treatment facilities (such as a hospital ship). Therefore, medics would likely fall under the Combat Division while Doctors would fall under the Logistics Division.

By doing so, Medics can function in their intended environment, and Doctors under the Logistics Division would have ready access to a supply backbone for resupplying their facilities.

Last edited:

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Where does armed transport figure into this?
Because I'm totally gonna be doing armed transport.
Probably a combination of Logistics and Combat. Having two divisions work with each other does wonders for organizational cohesion. :D

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Imma just lay around and watch k-pop videos until I can see first-hand what's fun to do in the PU

emergent gameplay will lay waste to all your well-meant plans

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
I feel like all those categories lend themselves to an evil twin role
  • Pirates!
    • Space Pirates
    • Land Pirates
    • Command Pirates
  • Boring Pirates
    • Slave Transport
    • Spies
    • Lost Spies
  • Rich Pirates
    • Savaging Miners
    • Smugglers
    • Meth Cooks
And regarding illicit activities like Piracy, that's something that will need to be handled on it own, because there are simply too many questions at this point to address. The structure I proposed above is mainly to address the bulk of TEST's needs.
And I don't mean to be derailing, but what sorts of things would need to be addressed separately for illicit things? I think smuggling homemade drugs sounds like the coolest thing ever.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I feel like all those categories lend themselves to an evil twin role
  • Pirates!
    • Space Pirates
    • Land Pirates
    • Command Pirates
  • Boring Pirates
    • Slave Transport
    • Spies
    • Lost Spies
  • Rich Pirates
    • Savaging Miners
    • Smugglers
    • Meth Cooks

And I don't mean to be derailing, but what sorts of things would need to be addressed separately for illicit things? I think smuggling homemade drugs sounds like the coolest thing ever.

I have one phrase for you: "In-game Reputation Stats".

We don't know how we'll end up structuring piracy and illegal activities in TEST, and Chris Roberts has said that it is possible for player orgs to become classified as terrorist orgs. Which could potentially harm TEST's ability to function.

So! We're going to wait and see how the reputation system turns out, and find out whether or not it's safe to have our Piracy group within TEST Squadron proper, or if we should spin them off into a separate organization under an alliance structure (TEST Fleet -> TEST Squadron and TEST Pirates as separate orgs), while still being under the same TEST Squadron leadership. The latter solution would insulate TEST Squadron from any severe reputation hits that could impact our ability to work within UEE and other Empires' space.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
I have one phrase for you: "In-game Reputation Stats".

We don't know how we'll end up structuring piracy and illegal activities in TEST, and Chris Roberts has said that it is possible for player orgs to become classified as terrorist orgs. Which could potentially harm TEST's ability to function.

So! We're going to wait and see how the reputation system turns out, and find out whether or not it's safe to have our Piracy group within TEST Squadron proper, or if we should spin them off into a separate organization under an alliance structure (TEST Fleet -> TEST Squadron and TEST Pirates as separate orgs), while still being under the same TEST Squadron leadership. The latter solution would insulate TEST Squadron from any severe reputation hits that could impact our ability to work within UEE and other Empires' space.
Ah yes, makes sense. I guess it's easiest to plan for things we know we'll need, rather than speculating about how rep will work...

Also, you should have 'Thinking so you don't have to' in your sig or on your avatar.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Ah yes, makes sense. I guess it's easiest to plan for things we know we'll need, rather than speculating about how rep will work...

Also, you should have 'Thinking so you don't have to' in your sig or on your avatar.
Duly noted, I will put something together later. :D

Reactions: StdDev and honcho12

Czechmate

Admiral
Feb 16, 2015
RSI Handle
Czechmate8
You're adding too much bureaucracy into this. Everything in the logistics division could be handled by or will necessarily already exist in both the military or econ divisions. I've ran Logistics and Operations before. The less divisions the better. Honestly I think the best solution would be two divisions, Military and Econ. Military would handle combat, security, exploration, and all of the functions of test that don't involve economics. Econ would handle all functions that involve making money and supplies for test outside of combat(piracy).

If military needs ships/supplies they ask Econ who then gives it to them. Econ needs a new trade route they call military who acquires it(legal or otherwise). If military finds a new resource rich area they tell Econ. Econ notices strange fluctuations in the market they inform military.

Obviously these divisions will have smaller sub divisions but its better than involving a third party.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
You're adding too much bureaucracy into this. Everything in the logistics division could be handled by or will necessarily already exist in both the military or econ divisions. I've ran Logistics and Operations before. The less divisions the better. Honestly I think the best solution would be two divisions, Military and Econ. Military would handle combat, security, exploration, and all of the functions of test that don't involve economics. Econ would handle all functions that involve making money and supplies for test outside of combat(piracy).

If military needs ships/supplies they ask Econ who then gives it to them. Econ needs a new trade route they call military who acquires it(legal or otherwise). If military finds a new resource rich area they tell Econ. Econ notices strange fluctuations in the market they inform military.

Obviously these divisions will have smaller sub divisions but its better than involving a third party.
This isn't bureaucracy, this is basic structuring and allocation of responsibilities.

Too much bureaucracy is when we have twenty different divisions and half of them do the same goddamn thing.

Czechmate

Admiral
Feb 16, 2015
RSI Handle
Czechmate8
This isn't bureaucracy, this is basic structuring and allocation of responsibilities.

Too much bureaucracy is when we have twenty different divisions and half of them do the same goddamn thing.
You didn't read past my first sentence did you?
"Everything in the logistics division could be handled by or will necessarily already exist in both the military or econ divisions."
Adding a logistics division that acts as an intermediary between the two is unnecessary.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Seems very reasonable to me. Barring in foundation-shaking changes to the org system, it provides a very broad umbrella to help organize the different sections.

I disagree that removing the logistics division would reduce bureaucracy. Best case scenario, it would run about the same, perhaps a little better. In my opinion it's more likely that melding the logistics division into the military and econ branches would actually worsen things, as it would distract from the focus of that particular branch.

Worse, if both branches have their own logistics divisions, they would have to coordinate all of their logistics-related business to avoid doubling up efforts in some areas and shortfalling others, resulting in even more work for the two branches.

By having Logistics as a third branch that acts as an intermediary, it allows the other two branches to do focus on what they do best, and let other people worry about getting things to the right place at the right time.

tl,dr: let miners mine, let fighters pewpewpew, and let other people worry about putting things in the right place to facilitate that.

Also, I typed logistics too much and the word went all funny. Logistics. LoGIStics. LogisTICS. Logistics. Log is tics. logi stics.

Czechmate

Admiral
Feb 16, 2015
RSI Handle
Czechmate8
So basically Logistics division will actually be more like fleet operations while transportation of goods will be handled by a separate logistics unit in Econ Division.

Forgot your password?