Elite: Dangerous TEST Squadron

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
Yeah...I had to do a lot of space trucking to earn enough credits for a new hauler, but if you can find a good trade route you can make some dough. A fuel scoop would have saved me a ship actually. Not all systems have fuel depots and not all will let you dock at them...just be careful when traversing the galaxy and make sure you can get back to your last fuel point if you are running low. Which system are you in Overlord?
Can't remember exactly without getting back in game but near CHAMUNDA. I like exploring rather than shipping but I have to jump 20 light years to collect credits. And I am still working on finding which systems have stations or not - no station no fuel which really sucks.

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
Can't remember exactly without getting back in game but near CHAMUNDA. I like exploring rather than shipping but I have to jump 20 light years to collect credits. And I am still working on finding which systems have stations or not - no station no fuel which really sucks.
I haven't invested in the fuel scoop yet - but I imagine that may be a nice addition...I'd hope it would refuel both drives so you can jump again...anyone tried yet?

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
I haven't invested in the fuel scoop yet - but I imagine that may be a nice addition...I'd hope it would refuel both drives so you can jump again...anyone tried yet?
The fuel that you use is one and the same for both Cruise and FSD. So basically yeah, it allows you to jump as many times as you like. Fuel scooping however has its dangers as getting too close or spending too much time too close to the star will give you heat damage. Also if you get pulled out of Hyperspace due to proximity you will gain a fair amount of damage on all systems plus heat damage until you escape the stars gravitational pull with your FSD again.

The way I do fuel scooping is at half throttle in on the edge of the corona of the star. I aim for an intake of ~= 13-15 units/sec and maintain a fast orbital path keeping heat at less than 115%. That should keep you out of harms way until you refuel.

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
The fuel that you use is one and the same for both Cruise and FSD. So basically yeah, it allows you to jump as many times as you like. Fuel scooping however has its dangers as getting too close or spending too much time too close to the star will give you heat damage. Also if you get pulled out of Hyperspace due to proximity you will gain a fair amount of damage on all systems plus heat damage until you escape the stars gravitational pull with your FSD again.

The way I do fuel scooping is at half throttle in on the edge of the corona of the star. I aim for an intake of ~= 13-15 units/sec and maintain a fast orbital path keeping heat at less than 115%. That should keep you out of harms way until you refuel.

Hey Cpt. LeChuck - thanks for the tip! I may have to invest in one then...I probably should have before trekking all the way across the galaxy without a map.

Also a tip on trade routes right now - my current loadout is a hauler with an extra cargo rack (10 slots)

Herrington City => Gernsback Terminal
# of Jumps: 1
Commodity: Beryllium (10)
Profit: 12,000 credits per run
Time (round trip) 12 Minutes
Special Notes:
To get from Gernsback Terminal to Herrington you need to engage your drive somewhere local to get around the planet right now - once you engage you should near immediately get line of sight back to Herrington City and be able to jump.

Enjoy!

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
From my understanding SOL permits are currently only available to beta backers.

Rumor I found online is if you get enough [influence] with the Federation you can also earn a permit - but as of right now SOL is reserved for those who got into the game early.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
From my understanding SOL permits are currently only available to beta backers.

Rumor I found online is if you get enough [influence] with the Federation you can also earn a permit - but as of right now SOL is reserved for those who got into the game early.
Buggers - the lot of you!

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
haha, I'm without a permit as well, but there seems to be more systems in this area than in my starting point...could just be they weren't all discovered yet.

the_angry_angel

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
the_angry_angel
How long are you planning on sticking around Sol and doing this? I've not been able to play ED for quite a while, but I should have access :) Might give me a good thing to aim for over the weekend :D

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
I seem to be sticking around Groombridge until I find a better way to earn more credits - if you also want to go find a dogfight or do some pirating I could be up for that. Either way - I'm just a skip away from SOL.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
I seem to be sticking around Groombridge until I find a better way to earn more credits - if you also want to go find a dogfight or do some pirating I could be up for that. Either way - I'm just a skip away from SOL.
Sounds good to me. But wanted to make some credits first before dog-fighting. So far I haven't made a single credit and spent a few hundred on fuel. lol. But now that I have my bindings worked out I should be able to start making some cash. By the way, are we going to use teamspeak or the games com?

ANARCKOS

Vice Admiral
Oct 19, 2014
RSI Handle
ANARCKOS
first step is getting an eagle, bounty hunting till you can buy a viper, keep fiting it to a point you can have
2 beam lasor
2 multicannon or cannons
2 chaft
2 cell shield boost,
and some good internals like shield power plant

them you can do that hunting mission that pays you about 150k + 40kbounty maybe more if you get the cargo hatch...
I will be on mumble later after captain richard show o7

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
first step is getting an eagle, bounty hunting till you can buy a viper, keep fiting it to a point you can have
2 beam lasor
2 multicannon or cannons
2 chaft
2 cell shield boost,
and some good internals like shield power plant

them you can do that hunting mission that pays you about 150k + 40kbounty maybe more if you get the cargo hatch...
I will be on mumble later after captain richard show o7
Guess I missed you on mumble. Bummer. I actually did finally make some credits though ^ a measly 20,ooo but a start. In regards to bounty hunting missions, can players find me during the missions and take me out? That would kind of suck if I am at half shields and a player comes in to finishes the job.

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
Sounds good to me. But wanted to make some credits first before dog-fighting. So far I haven't made a single credit and spent a few hundred on fuel. lol. But now that I have my bindings worked out I should be able to start making some cash. By the way, are we going to use teamspeak or the games com?
So from my understanding the team voice only works if we are in the same system or both in hyper drive - so teamspeak would probably be best. I need to set up an account. I will probably be awol the next couple of weeks, but we will have to get some stuff going when I get back. Feel free to hit me up if you ever see me online!

Stigro

Vice Admiral
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Stigro
I started making my way to barnard's star, docked at ngalipa right now. I'm snowboarding in the sierras right now but i'll be continuing my journey on sunday. My cmdr name is the same as my forum handle, shoot me a friend request and group invite.
Also teamspeak? We're on mumble now!:P

Nosnah

Lieutenant
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Nosnah
I started making my way to barnard's star, docked at ngalipa right now. I'm snowboarding in the sierras right now but i'll be continuing my journey on sunday. My cmdr name is the same as my forum handle, shoot me a friend request and group invite.
Also teamspeak? We're on mumble now!:p

Good catch, I will have to get Mumble. I know Montoya did an install tutorial, the link is below for anyone else who needs to install it.

https://testsquadron.com/threads/mumble-install.2487/

Edit: Credit also goes to RussianJ for the tutorial video on the link as well.

Forgot your password?