Elite: Dangerous TEST Squadron

Erroll

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Erroll
ED is fun but it's too much box and not enough sand. I am trying different things and having fun but combat in SC is way more satisfying.

Jupiter was my favorite sight in Sol.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
ED is fun but it's too much box and not enough sand. I am trying different things and having fun but combat in SC is way more satisfying.

Jupiter was my favorite sight in Sol.
Yeah, after EVE I must admit being a bit spoiled: all those players in the same system! Wow. But Elite is fun and there is a lot of potential should they actually carry out their plan to land on planets and walk around in stations. But I heard talk like this before from CCP, lol. But Elite is a new game so they may actually be serious. In fact, if they do carry out landing on planets and walking around in stations, it will most definitely give Star Citizen a run for its money (I mean our money) since Elite already makes Star Citizen's universe look infinitesimally small by comparison. Of course Elite will have to give some ability to build stations to make such a vast galaxy worth exploring but that can't be all that hard, or at least sprinkle a few stations as a kind of oasis in the middle of nowhere.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I finally got a Cobra Mk.III and made it to Sol, which was cool. Unfortunately, the server apparently crashed right after I bought some market items and some ship upgrades and when I logged back in, I'd lost all the new inventory, but was still missing the credits. Probably a 50k-60k loss in credits right there. I later bought 20 tons of beryllium and sold it for a major profit three systems over and made 26k, so that helped.

I'm still have trouble finding profitable runs in general, though. Many bounties and trades seem to be a bit low around Sol, so I guess I need to venture out a bit to find hot spots. Any suggestions?

ANARCKOS

Vice Admiral
Oct 19, 2014
RSI Handle
ANARCKOS
I finally got a Cobra Mk.III and made it to Sol, which was cool. Unfortunately, the server apparently crashed right after I bought some market items and some ship upgrades and when I logged back in, I'd lost all the new inventory, but was still missing the credits. Probably a 50k-60k loss in credits right there. I later bought 20 tons of beryllium and sold it for a major profit three systems over and made 26k, so that helped.

I'm still have trouble finding profitable runs in general, though. Many bounties and trades seem to be a bit low around Sol, so I guess I need to venture out a bit to find hot spots. Any suggestions?

V1581 CYGN1 closest anarchy system to sol. buy slaves there and smuggle in fed or empire stations...LACAILLE 8760 has an easy BLACK MARKET outpost (no scanning). . I am ready for PVP or collective mining, that might make way more money for new people. what would be a good time to try something together? I will be back in 4 hours o7

btw Overlord, exploration is for fun, don't try to make money out of that. ... this was my path of making money:
*bounty hunt on nav point
*bounty hunt on low sec super cruiser with w.scanner + fds interdic (BARNARD'S STAR)
*bounty hunt on low sec anarchy systems with w.scanner (V1581 CYGN1)
*space trucking on a type6 for profit and reputation + anaconda elite assassination (LIAEDIN and VOLUNGU)

Erroll

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Erroll
The thing with this game is I don't see how they are going to fund development for all that stuff. Eve has a sub to keep it going.

I mean, the game is released.. copies are sold.. they have made their money. How are they going to pay people to add new content? Whats the incentive? Do they really think they can keep selling copies? You can only get so far selling paint. I think at this point it will be very incremental. They already have a track record of backing away from development goals.

I am taking it for what it is and assuming nothing much will change. If they add stuff, cool.. in the mean time I am enjoying the diversion before I continue on through WC III at home and Privateer at work.

If nothing else I hope they add an "alien invasion" to allow us to have some more NPC targets and to make trading and such more interesting. The more material a station gets, the better its defense gets..

With a few ship models and using their existing faction % system they could make this work and not take away to much from David Braben's retirement fund.

ps - one thing to add though.. they are adding PS4/Xbox programmers in Halifax. Several friends have already said they would love to relax on the couch with this game. Maybe thats the direction..

Reactions: Overlord

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
The thing with this game is I don't see how they are going to fund development for all that stuff. Eve has a sub to keep it going.

I mean, the game is released.. copies are sold.. they have made their money. How are they going to pay people to add new content? Whats the incentive? Do they really think they can keep selling copies? You can only get so far selling paint. I think at this point it will be very incremental. They already have a track record of backing away from development goals.

I am taking it for what it is and assuming nothing much will change. If they add stuff, cool.. in the mean time I am enjoying the diversion before I continue on through WC III at home and Privateer at work.

If nothing else I hope they add an "alien invasion" to allow us to have some more NPC targets and to make trading and such more interesting. The more material a station gets, the better its defense gets..

With a few ship models and using their existing faction % system they could make this work and not take away to much from David Braben's retirement fund.

ps - one thing to add though.. they are adding PS4/Xbox programmers in Halifax. Several friends have already said they would love to relax on the couch with this game. Maybe thats the direction..
If they can land us on planets, explore and add station walk arounds, I would be MORE than happy to pay a sub.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I'm pretty happy with it, but I don't play it all the time. I usually log in, run an op or three, maybe move some cargo, blow up a couple of dudes and call it a day. Trying to gin up enough fed rep to get to Sol, which is my current "end game".

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
Whelp...I just learned the hard way that if you die while you have uncollected bounties, you lose those bounties.

There goes about 45,000 credits. :oops:

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I finally got my sol permit.
Now I just need to get friendly with federation and i can go bounty hunting in empire space.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Ive got two black ops hit missions for promotions. I'm alittle concerned about fighting what will likely be federal dropships in my cobra. Anyone got tips for combat fitting a cobra?

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
One black ops hit down, 3 more on the clipboard, and I'll be done with missions for the feds for a while since I'll have the fed dropship unlocked.

bryceedmundo

Space Marshal
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
bryceedmundo
Been in Elite for a few days now and am loving it! There is nothing like hunting pirates amidst the rings of a gas giant. I do get the impression it is a mile wide and an inch deep though, I'm unsure of what the game has to offer long term.
Regardless, Commander Edmundo will start hauling ass that way tomorrow morning. I had a look at our sun, I also wanted to go see the Horse Head nebula (not sure if its actually there to see but its on the map) and it's pretty far away, i'm still pretty close to the starting system. Might have to trade in my Viper for a Cobra with a massive FSD.

See you around (that other) 'verse.

Q - you mentioned permits? Being new, and having not traveled very far i've never been bothered by them, I have seen a tab in that right panel in my ship though. Could someone explain?

Forgot your password?