MrBambooza
Last edited:

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
CIG more or less identifies the Ironclad as a "6 person cargo ship". Questions: Do we really think that forming a 6-person group for cargo running is a regular, sustainable game loop? How much hauling reward is required for us to routinely make the effort to form that sized group for cargo hauling worth it? Is that still worth it if a solo 'pirate' can take out our hauler with little challenge?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
CIG more or less identifies the Ironclad as a "6 person cargo ship". Questions: Do we really think that forming a 6-person group for cargo running is a regular, sustainable game loop? How much hauling reward is required for us to routinely make the effort to form that sized group for cargo hauling worth it? Is that still worth it if a solo 'pirate' can take out our hauler with little challenge?
It won't surprise me if this isn't the way of CIG to pander to those that want to be pirates that have a bit of funds stored up for their Drake addictions. I look at this as a next step pocket carrier from the Cat in the Drake line. Probably holding less ships than the Liberator, but more cargo space than the C2.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I’m impressed, and I don’t generally like Drake. I want to see the drop ship version and stats on the turrets.

Also, did anyone else catch that it looks like the Polaris uses tractor beams to load torpedoes? Purty nifty. Also. . .did it sound to you like they are going to up arm the Polaris turrets? I have always said a pair of S6 for the chin mount! Let’s have it! S6 Sledge!

BTW, anyone notice the ammo specs are all new? Many different ammo speeds, and ranges, the fastest of which appears is 3km/s Sledge. Ammo speeds of 900, 1,000, 1,200, 1,600 and 3,000 witnessed so far. It’s back to 3.14 days.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The way I took it is that it's 6 person so that you can liberate cargo to fill your hold. The also talked about a possible variant ironclad assault. Either way I'd wager the iron glad is not ment to go from port to port trading like the panzy hull crowed but to gain their cargo to sell at grim hex from... more violent means.

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
It certainly looks like an interesting ship, and if the "progression" described in the video is reflected in the price, at $400-$500 (between Caterpillar and Hull C), it may be a nice addition to the fleet.

A few things that stood out to me:
  • The "command module" looked very similar to the one on the Caterpillar - Even if they differ, I wonder if these will be able to link to either hull type, or if the caterpillar command module is "hull locked" to other Caterpilars, and the Ironclad to other Ironclads?
  • The ship gives a feeling of being a Drake version of the Liberator, with a roof opening which looks like it could be used to land ships in to transport, rather than leaving them exposed on the pads the Liberator has. With the ability to transport ground vehicles as well... The military version discussed in the video, with the repair bay, could also make a nice pocket carrier for Furies or similar small craft.
  • I could see these replacing not only Caterpillars, but also C2/M2s and Liberators in people's fleets due to the size (looks like it's around the length of a Caterpillar and possibly a similar width (maybe slightly wider than the Caterpillar when the wing is included, but not much more) and the ability to drive ground vehicles on/off and load/unload cargo via a ramp - It may even replace Hull C's for some, as it has a large cargo capacity without the risks associated with external cargo, and will be able to land/trade both in space and on surface locations. The ability to open the roof of the cargo area and land smaller ships in the cargo bay will also be of use to many.
It will be interesting to see what the "minimum" crew size for the ship will be - Hopefully it's "useable" by solo players, although engineering could make things a little harder there.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
  • I could see these replacing not only Caterpillars, but also C2/M2s and Liberators in people's fleets due to the size (looks like it's around the length of a Caterpillar and possibly a similar width (maybe slightly wider than the Caterpillar when the wing is included, but not much more) and the ability to drive ground vehicles on/off and load/unload cargo via a ramp - It may even replace Hull C's for some, as it has a large cargo capacity without the risks associated with external cargo, and will be able to land/trade both in space and on surface locations. The ability to open the roof of the cargo area and land smaller ships in the cargo bay will also be of use to many
Based on what they showed in this initial announcement teaser of CIG, my best guess is that it'll be approximately as long as the Cat, but twice as wide. Or possibly 1 section of the Cat removed in length but about 3x as wide, based on the images.

Brictoria

Vice Admiral
Apr 15, 2022
RSI Handle
Brictoria
Based on what they showed in this initial announcement teaser of CIG, my best guess is that it'll be approximately as long as the Cat, but twice as wide. Or possibly 1 section of the Cat removed in length but about 3x as wide, based on the images.
Looking at the picture from CIG and comparing it to the Caterpillar, It looks around the same width as the caterpillar (maybe slightly wider), bearing in mind the caterpillar is much wider than just its cargo area:

The "command module" on both look to be the same "ship", and the "corridor" from it which stretches across the hull (including tractor control room on the other side) looks to be about the same length as the corridor on the Ironclad. The section of hull extending past this corridor on the Ironclad looks to be roughly th same size as the remaining wing on the Caterpillar.

The "command module" also appears further towards the read on the Ironclad, but the overall length appears to be roughly the same as the Caterpillar.

White Lando

Admiral
Donor
Nov 25, 2021
RSI Handle
White_Lando
Looks like they're planning on 3x S3 Shields so that's pretty decent.

1 in the rear by the Coolers and Batteries

1000002084.jpg

And 2 more way up at the front. I kind of dig them being spread out like this. Would take crippling the power plant and the batteries to disable them all simultaneously.

1000002083.jpg

My C2 and wallet are pretty nervous for Saturday :drunk:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Not sure this will replace the herc or Liberator. The herc should still fly easier in atmosphere and be more nimble in regards to getting into small landing zones. And I believe the Liberator can still carry more ships.
But ya this ship does nicely fill the role for bigger operations. Given there was a Pic of five tanks in the cargo area.

Would be perfect for rolling up on one of them new distribution centers and helping yourself to their goods.

Honestly the only thing I'm not a fan of is the side ship / pilot area. I wish it was in the center overlooking the doors with everyone else.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
note, unless you pull the cargo from it, if the command module gets away, you will need to bring your own command module to pilot the cargo part of the ship away.
I wonder if any command module will do or if it must be the specific one paired with that ship

Forgot your password?