IT'S HERE 3.1 PTU

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
I do not understand that reference, but i bet it was hilarious. :p
Allow me to illustrate:

or were you talking about the image? That's Kado from Kado: the right answer. It's a dimension faring space ship that just materializes out of thin air and fuses with an airplane that was occupying the same space it chose as a materialization point.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Allow me to illustrate:

or were you talking about the image? That's Kado from Kado: the right answer. It's a dimension faring space ship that just materializes out of thin air and fuses with an airplane that was occupying the same space it chose as a materialization point.
I was indeed talking about the image, but your illustration is on point, so well done :ok_hand:

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I tried to play 3.0 but it was rough, FPS was crap. I currently run a 1070ti I should not be having that many issues. Anyone else run into this problem?? I heard it was pretty bad for a lot of people.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I tried to play 3.0 but it was rough, FPS was crap. I currently run a 1070ti I should not be having that many issues. Anyone else run into this problem?? I heard it was pretty bad for a lot of people.
Unless you have the setup the devs have (and even then its questionable) you'll get mixed results until it is optimized.

The frame rates with my 2gb GTX750 (non-Ti) aren't great, it goes between 7fps and 20fps which is at least playable.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
That's a nice card, but SC is rather buggy for most if not all since it's still in early alpha & not yet optimized. The rest of the issues you're having other than the lack of optimization might be with the rest of your PC hardware. May I ask what you're running on?

Case in point, my AMD FX 8350 with 32gb of DDR3 RAM & 2x Strix 480 08G OC rig averages 10-15fps in 3.0 currently. The good news is that in the 3.1 PTU, I've been averaging between 15-27fps. Here's hoping that remains the same in full 3.1 & continues getting better gradually until things are perfect for us all.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I just found out that I can actually join the PTU! Why didn't I get an email about this like the last time?

Mixed feelings so far. Ya know, I was never a fan of adding ships instead of spending more time fixing existing broken stuff that needs to be fixed, like getting the rework of original pledge ships done, but I gotta say, I WANT A TERRAPIN RIGHT NAOOWW! :D
Damn I love that thing! I dunno why but it just looks perfect to my eyes. Maybe it's just my strange obsession with boxy shaped things (like how I find the shape of the Pz.kpfw. IV H with full skirts on kinda really beautiful. It's a tank ffs!)

Anyways, I flown around for a bit and found the framerate appalling at first, in the low 10s instead of 20s, then I flew to Yela, and during my descent some sorta magic switch was thrown. I got a buttery smooth 60fps!!! For all of half a minute to a minute, but still, those seconds of smooth sailing were glorious! Then it all dropped back to 10-15 fps with the occasional stuttering, and after landing at an outpost and looking around it for a bit it just kept getting worse. When I got back into my ship and turned on the power, it rolled onto it's side, even though engines were not on yet and I was parked on level ground. Turnin the engines on and hitting "A" to slide the ship "up" didn't do anything, but hitting space for up, witch at this point was parallel to the ground, raised the ship up and it righted itself. The game crashed while I tried to leave orbit, fps was in the single digits by then.

Did a bit more of flying around planets but the game kept crashing and fps was way too low for playable.
Planets look way better , both from away and close up. Lighting seems to be nicer as well, did they implement their new volumetric fog as well?
oh, and the character creator is kinda nice too, although I couldn't find a hairstyle I liked just yet lol

TLDR.: On patch "K" as of writing this. Loving the turtle ship. Overall performance is worse then ever for me. FPS in the low 10s, frequent stuttering but shorter "stops" then 3.0, and very rare and strange positive spikes up to 60 fps! Physics still act weird. Planets look way better, char creator is nice touch.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
That's a nice card, but SC is rather buggy for most if not all since it's still in early alpha & not yet optimized. The rest of the issues you're having other than the lack of optimization might be with the rest of your PC hardware. May I ask what you're running on?

Case in point, my AMD FX 8350 with 32gb of DDR3 RAM & 2x Strix 480 08G OC rig averages 10-15fps in 3.0 currently. The good news is that in the 3.1 PTU, I've been averaging between 15-27fps. Here's hoping that remains the same in full 3.1 & continues getting better gradually until things are perfect for us all.

Current system -
Corsair Carbide Series Air 740 - High Airflow ATX Cube Case

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK

Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

D-Link DIR-890L/R Wireless AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Gigabit Router, AC Smartbeam technology

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti DirectX 12 08G-P4-6678-KR 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Current system -
Corsair Carbide Series Air 740 - High Airflow ATX Cube Case

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK

Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

D-Link DIR-890L/R Wireless AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Gigabit Router, AC Smartbeam technology

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti DirectX 12 08G-P4-6678-KR 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card
Your RAM will be a bit of a bottleneck until more optimizations come along (general consensus seems to be 32+ gigs right now for consistent stable gameplay); you don't have your hard drive listed but if it isn't a fairly new solid state drive that is likely a bigger bottleneck as the builds are still very hard drive read intensive.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Your RAM will be a bit of a bottleneck until more optimizations come along (general consensus seems to be 32+ gigs right now for consistent stable gameplay); you don't have your hard drive listed but if it isn't a fairly new solid state drive that is likely a bigger bottleneck as the builds are still very hard drive read intensive.
I agree with this assessment.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Oh ya i forgot I have a samsung SSD for the hard drive. As for the ram any suggestions I don't mind spending a little money.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
If everyone now has access, I guess no one is playing 3.0 so why not just release it?

I have 16gb DDR4 3200 RAM
In my 2 hours in PTU today I was getting over 30FPS almost all the time, with just a few dips when it gets busy IE climbing into my ship. I was getting 60FPS flying around Port O with 4 other ships on radar. The new HUD looks a lot better.
I did have 3 disconnects in those 2 hours.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Oh ya i forgot I have a samsung SSD for the hard drive. As for the ram any suggestions I don't mind spending a little money.
If I'm reading everything correctly you should have two more DIMM available, so two more sticks of the exact same RAM would likely be the most efficient solution on that front.

How is your SSD connected? SATA, m.2, PCIe?
If SATA or m.2 in SATA mode then the performance there is still going to be a bit of a bottleneck.
If PCIe or m.2 in PCIe mode then make sure it isn't trying to use the same lanes and channels as your video card.
In your bios is your SSD handled as AHCI or NVMe?

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
If I'm reading everything correctly you should have two more DIMM available, so two more sticks of the exact same RAM would likely be the most efficient solution on that front.

How is your SSD connected? SATA, m.2, PCIe?
If SATA or m.2 in SATA mode then the performance there is still going to be a bit of a bottleneck.
If PCIe or m.2 in PCIe mode then make sure it isn't trying to use the same lanes and channels as your video card.
In your bios is your SSD handled as AHCI or NVMe?
SATA currently

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
SATA currently
That puts you in a similar situation as I'm in, running drives on SATA instead of PCIe.

It works but takes substantially longer to get sign in, area transitions and ship loads are jittery, and high volume areas are high risk of crashes; I still have a lot of fun when I play but I also plan around I have to have at least three consecutive hours to play for it to be worth the effort (for now, as more optimizations are implemented and bugs get addressed this will improve.)

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Right now I run it on lowest settings and just walking around I have low FPS I don't think I should be having this issue with my setup, I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice already not sure what the issue is.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Right now I run it on lowest settings and just walking around I have low FPS I don't think I should be having this issue with my setup, I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice already not sure what the issue is.
The last time I checked all the optimizations and performance enhancements are tied to the highest graphics settings, so many people see noticeably better performance on the highest settings.

Though full disclosure, I'm abstaining from the current build; it is too unstable, regardless of whether I fly missions or run cargo I lose due to the frequency of crashes.

Takes at last 30 min for me to sign in, crash between 10 and 30 min after that, losing everything I had not docked at a major station.
So I'm down ~500 aUEC, and most of my Voyager Direct and rented weapons until the next patch.
It is moronic to make us pay for expedited insurance when the game is this unstable and we're not returned directly to our ship when we sign in after a crash.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
You guys depress me, with no decent ssd and everything else not great I guess I am waiting for more optimisation or else the common sense to spend money on my pc rather than space ships.
Actually a "simple" cheap SSD on SATA3 should work perfectly fine, and even an old 4thread i5 3xxx can run PU at 40+ fps in 1080p. It's more a quesiton of RAM and GPU-Ram at the moment.
I tried running PU on my wifes machine : old samsung ssd, a 750ti 2gb, i5 3xxx, and only 8gigs RAM. It took like 2-5 mins to fully load into PU but the framerate was a really nice 20+, running into 40s easily. It had the usual hitching/lag spikes, but that's something that just happens here anyways, regardless of the machine specs. The real problem was that after a minute or five in-game, it kept crashing to desktop and killing the video driver along the way. I had to reinstall the nvidia drivers every time, as power cycling didn't bring it back.
I didn't have time to properly check whats happening yet, but I read somewhere that this is a known issue with some older video cards at the moment, and mostly related to RAM.

Anyways, the real limiting factors at the moment are still the network-sync/update-cycle issues, and nothing is culled properly yet.
I did try the game at my work place, on a machine with a 1080TI AND a TITAN V with 64 gigs ram and 12thread i7, running off of an Optane drive. (it's our new simulation / gpu rendering machine). Exact same framerates and hitching as on my home PC! which only has 16gigs of ram,an old i5 with a 1060 6gb and some standard samsung SSD. No NVME M.2 or Optane thingy. And load times are perfectly fine.

To break it down for my PC, nothing has really changed since 3.0. My CPU does hit 100% sometimes but when everything is running smoothly, it stays around 90%. This is fine I think. Graphics card usage, while having anything from 40 to 60 fps at 1080p in PU, is at max 50% but mostly stays in the 40s. So actually, graphics wise, the game is pretty decently optimized. FFS, I ran early SC Arena Commander on my first gen CORE2DUO with only 3 GB RAM and some old ATI (now AMD) card! And it was totally playable!

TLDR: the game won't stand a chance to run decently on any hardware, no matter how powerful, as long as the game engine is still bound by the network code updates, which is kinda of a real mess still, and the network culling thingy is not implemented. That fix is aimed for the 3rd quarterly patch, and who knows how much longer it will take until it's actually done. So for now, Do Not even think about investing in hardware based on SC performance! For the moment, your physical location, time of day, number of hairs on your neighbors cat, and simple luck of the draw has much more to do with performance than your PC specs.

edited cos I messed up the specs on workplace machine

Last edited:
Forgot your password?