March 20th COVID-19 update

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Here is some data ... I promised this in anather thread, but this is more topical. These number are from COB yesterday, reporting cases and days since the 100th case:
Top Countries -- if I put everything here, it is a big mess and unreadable:
Top Countries March 19.png

Top States -- I think something like12 states have reported over 100 cases, this again is just a selection...NOTE this definitely reflects lack of testing, imo:
Top States March 19.png

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Geez, those charts are not good.

Thing is that its just math, and those charts are going to look way worse this time next week.
Unfortunately, we are already on a bad trajectory. It will take at least 2 weeks for any of our social isolation measures to have any sort of impact. Probably longer, since we have been dribbling them out, and people haven't been taking it seriously. But, it will have a positive impact.

Again, unfortunately, we are already on a trajectory for the next 2-3 weeks that nothing we are doing now will make a big dent.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Actually, everything we do now makes a huge in the very near future (3 weeks is the very near future)

Do
keep your distance.
if you are sick..stay home...or in sister-in-law speak #stfh
if someone In your house is sick...stay home.
do not expose yourself with risky behavior (Go to work, go to grocery store the minimum number of times you can, and stay home the rest of the time)

if you can (not everyone will be able to):
help your neighbors (but not if you are sick)
work from home. This may need to be an extended timeframe.
allow your employees to work from home
give sick time to your employees, even if you normally do not.
don't change buying habits. Support your local restaurants if they offer a pickup plan,
order goods online from the physical retailer you would have bought it from..especially if the company is paying associates from stores that have closed.

Do not
treat wfh as a vacation. Your companies still need to get work done. Your company is doing their part for you and your family. Support them too with hard work.
hoard goods. Seriously, if you wanted to stock up for something like this, this is the wrong time. Instead, prepare for the next one after this one is over.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
What pisses me off the most is going to work and listening to my boss and co-workers say how its not real, its all made up, its not that serious, the democrats are lying, their making a big deal out of nothing.

I just don't get how such a large part of the people in this country can be so blinded, so biased towards their own views and leaders who are flat out lying, people like Hannity, Limbaugh (his radio station anyways) Republicans on the hill, Fox News etc... guys there are still a large population of people who just don't think this is serious at, they keep comparing it to the flu, they keep saying its only 200 or 300 people dead, they don't even recognize the actual numbers in China or Italy, I just don't get it, please help me or I am gonna bitch slap some people lmao!

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
What pisses me off the most is going to work and listening to my boss and co-workers say how its not real, its all made up, its not that serious, the democrats are lying, their making a big deal out of nothing.

I just don't get how such a large part of the people in this country can be so blinded, so biased towards their own views and leaders who are flat out lying, people like Hannity, Limbaugh (his radio station anyways) Republicans on the hill, Fox News etc... guys there are still a large population of people who just don't think this is serious at, they keep comparing it to the flu, they keep saying its only 200 or 300 people dead, they don't even recognize the actual numbers in China or Italy, I just don't get it, please help me or I am gonna bitch slap some people lmao!
I have friends in health care. My partner heads up the Covid19 team at her hospital. By all accounts, Canada will be hard hit. The US will be even harder hit, possibly surpassing Italy in cases and deaths.

The simply reality is that a virus is a virus. It doesn't care whether you're a Republican or a Democrat...Young or Old...White or Black. By it's nature it doesn't discriminate. If your boss and people like him are still yelling at their death bed that this is a Democrat hoax and they're stickin' it to the Libs...well that's their business. I say hunker down and take care of yourself and those around you. If you can, help the weakest in your community as well. We'll get through this. Listen to the experts. A lot of the problems we're facing these days are exacerbated because too many people in positions of power 'trust their gut'.

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan

Got a message today that a co-worker (unknown which one) has presumptively tested positive. We are a small office that does a lot of internal meetings. While I should be safe (I am a remote employee and I was not there during the currently known possible transmission times), Probably 2/3 to 3/4 or my company is at risk...and many of them (most of them actually) are in their 50's and 60s because we typically hire people who retire and then decide to go back to work...
It's a distinct possibility we will lose one or more to this.

I don't see us going away from WFH for at least 3-4 more months...

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The magical thing here is that it does not matter what they think.

Ask them again in two weeks, $500 says you get a very different answer.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

I'm assuming we're speaking to a group of Americans here, and I've heared in th USA "Money Talks", so:

Thats a loooot of dough dropped on helping people get through something that doesn't exist. I can't think of anything that will say to people this is more real than a national government paying peoples wages (read bills and mortgages) to get on top of this.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

Jesus. This is straight ignorance. People are so fucking stupid. I'm sorry that your have to deal with this my friend.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
The issue for me is, my boss doesn't believe it, I think to the point that even if you came in said I tested positive he would be like "so what, its the flu" and even though I said multiple times its not just the flu or like the flu its different and explained why he still didn't get it or believe it lol. I tossed numbers at him and he simply replied I can get numbers saying the opposite and I said no you cant, I said most of the experts if not all of them across the world say its serious and he says, I can get experts that say different and I said, no you cant lol.

Its literally living in a twilight zone, where numbers, facts and information are completely tossed out the window and replaced with some other form of information they believe is factual, its insane to me how someone completely on the other spectrum can be so defiant in the face of factual information, thousands of experts across the world and yet their so blind.

CitizenSanteri

Commander
Feb 27, 2020
RSI Handle
CitizenSanteri
I have been building a home away from home, a man cave, literally yes, in a cave. :D Best to be prepared than not have what ya need to get the job done! Crosses fingers for those Government checks!

Reactions: Blind Owl

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
The issue for me is, my boss doesn't believe it, I think to the point that even if you came in said I tested positive he would be like "so what, its the flu" and even though I said multiple times its not just the flu or like the flu its different and explained why he still didn't get it or believe it lol. I tossed numbers at him and he simply replied I can get numbers saying the opposite and I said no you cant, I said most of the experts if not all of them across the world say its serious and he says, I can get experts that say different and I said, no you cant lol.

Its literally living in a twilight zone, where numbers, facts and information are completely tossed out the window and replaced with some other form of information they believe is factual, its insane to me how someone completely on the other spectrum can be so defiant in the face of factual information, thousands of experts across the world and yet their so blind.
I actually work for a health insurance company and there were honestly not many but some coworkers maybe 2 weeks ago saying everyone was overreacting. fortunately the governor stepped in and made them send us all home anyway, though the company was preparing to go that way in any event

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Updated the charts for March 21st...the data is current through COB (close of business) March 20:
Selected Top Countries (if I put every country here, you wouldn't be able to read it):
March21 World.png

Selected Top States (Texas isn't showing up for some reason, but they should be just above Colorado, with 394 cases)
March21 Top States.png

The above chart is hard to read, because the state with a LOT is squashing the graph down...
In this circumstance, it is common to plot the graph on a "log" (as in logarithmic) scale, which has the effect of turning "exponential" or "increasing" rates into flat lines...
In this case, it turns the "33% daily rise" upward arcing curve into a straight line, with the same effect as the states, but it does separate them out more and make them easier to read.
Again, be mindful that test kits are still in short supply, and testing is not being done on everybody who needs it.
March21 Top States log.png

Reactions: Blind Owl

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Geez, no relief for Italy yet, even with the strict restrictions in place.

There is an awfully painful delay between the full quarantines and the time you start seeing declines in new cases.

So while most of the states are a few days into taking stricture precautions, there are still gatherings, people hanging out and feeling its not really their problem. The results of this ignorance is going to bite us in the ass in about 2 weeks.

Forgot your password?