MISC Odyssey looks to be better explorer than Carrack! Buying Org Odyssey!

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
That's the entire point of the CCU game ...

It provides an addictive sense of "savings" while enticing you to increase the pool of money you've pledged. A false sense of "value" that makes collector personalities go wild.

You'll never stop seeing and wanting the newest shiny ship. That's why they release them for every price range.

People will always buy the new new. 80% isn't a realistic number, imho. After 9 years, it's not even close to that number.
Guess there's no real point in a discussion that no one has enough data for. But I can already see the Grey Market, hundreds of players collecting upgrades to make money there. Why buy a polaris for $750 on the pledge store when you could buy it for $500 on the grey market? Yeah sure CIG may get a portion of that $500, but they've lost money to sellers.

Warbond CCU's were around for 2 years, not 9 years. And ship upgrades, there hasn't been any real advantage until the Carrack time. It's just a question of how aggressively it will get used, and we don't know. But you can bet if it gets used excessively they'll nerf it because they will actually loose money.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
Darn you CIG. Odyssey bought, and I’m keeping my Carrack and BMM too.

Bounty hunting and mining are all well and good, and trading/cargo hauling could potentially be too, but the number of exploration focussed vessels they seem to be developing makes me really hope they have some absolutely epic exploration gameplay planned. I want to be able to go to places no other player has gone, and likely will never go again, and discover really cool stuff, life forms, tech, minerals, artefacts or whatever. I don’t want it to be just the same things over and over, grinding for something like star data like a certain other game. *Cough* E:D *cough*. Given the huge player base and the likely number of other players who want the same, I wonder how feasible this gameplay profession really is?

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
Guess there's no real point in a discussion that no one has enough data for. But I can already see the Grey Market, hundreds of players collecting upgrades to make money there. Why buy a polaris for $750 on the pledge store when you could buy it for $500 on the grey market? Yeah sure CIG may get a portion of that $500, but they've lost money to sellers.

Warbond CCU's were around for 2 years, not 9 years. And ship upgrades, there hasn't been any real advantage until the Carrack time. It's just a question of how aggressively it will get used, and we don't know. But you can bet if it gets used excessively they'll nerf it because they will actually loose money.

You've been able to get deals on Warbond ships using new money since I started following the project. The only thing that has really changed is CIG increasing the pledge cost of ships. Which actually, encourages grey market economies.

Reality is, they can end the grey markets at any time they want. They don't ... because it creates a micro-economy that they profit from. Re-sellers are guaranteed higher income injections.

Perceived "deals" on things that are extremely low cost to make IS the marketing strategy for CIG. They know the real value vs perceived value.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
You've been able to get deals on Warbond ships using new money since I started following the project. The only thing that has really changed is CIG increasing the pledge cost of ships. Which actually, encourages grey market economies.

Reality is, they can end the grey markets at any time they want. They don't ... because it creates a micro-economy that they profit from. Re-sellers are guaranteed higher income injections.

Perceived "deals" on things that are extremely low cost to make IS the marketing strategy for CIG. They know the real value vs perceived value.
If you are both a retailer and a wholesaler, you would never let your distributors under cut your retail stores. Yeah sure you may let it slide for a period of time for marketing purposes, but sooner or later you're going to put the lid on it. You don't have a choice. It's like BestBuy distributing iPhones for less than the Apple stores.

• o7
Reactions: Thugari and Vavrik

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I picked one up today, CCU'd myself to less that $1K away from Wing Commander... yikes.

The Odyssey looks real good to me!

As far as comparing it to a Carrack, I think each will have it's strengths and weaknesses. I see the Carrack as having more armor, better scanning/mapping ability, and faster/more maneuverable. The drones on the Carrack will add to it's utility as well as the workbench area and any future planned modules. We will have to wait and see for those though.

I think you'd want to take an Odyssey into a system already scanned out with a Carrack. Also the Odyssey seems more like a ship for living in and exploiting relatively known space. Kind of a space-based outpost or space station that you can move from system to system.

I still have my Carrack and want to see how it all turns out.
After mulling it over for a few days this is pretty much my conclusion as well. The Odyssey while not necessarily going into relatively known space might be the first to jump into unknown space and start exploring it after a Carrack finds a navigatable wormhole. (Would be fun if CIG opened up pocket procedurally generated solar systems with limited or no facilities by way of randomly generated wormholes, think ED outside the bubble)

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
The way I see them:

The Odyssey is a deep space long mission explorer for industry and perhaps even science.
The Carrack is a deep space explorer with more military applications.

Like all explorers ... they have similar roles and can fill each others shoes in "a pinch". The difference is ultimately the purpose of your exploration and what other ships might be in the expedition squad.

Reactions: Thugari and wmk

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
got mine for 235 :) but then melted my Aquila so actually got it after store credit for like $63 :)
With the Carrack warbond, I can also do Odyssey at 235 now : BMM to Carrack warbond at 10$ was not possible at Anvil day (BMM not bumped yet then, and I was using another less interesting warbond Carrack 5$ CCU instead from Orion), but now it is, took 10 of those warbond for myself ^^
I'll keep all my Odyssey parts in hangar as I always do for most of my high end ships, because there might be a warbond CCU for the Odyssey at some point before another price jump, that would most probably make an Odyssey for less than 200$.

With those Carracks at 135, it opens a lot of possibilities for me. I have a Carrack to Hull-E CCU sitting in hangar for ages, that will make a E for 285$ after this IAE is over.

I dont think I'll be able to make cheaper Carracks in the future I guess, unless I can get better warbond CCU under the 65$ value range. I do not have any of those old 0$ CCUs so I had to do with what was issued in 2020-21 only.

Still hesitating for my 2 personnal Polaris Warbond CCUs, should I wait for more BMM price jump or apply now? Its a bet I might not take :)
If they issue a warbond Perseus CCU and BMM jumps to 600 for ILW2952 in 6 months, that would be ideal.

Got an Ambush pack warbond that I want to replace with 2 Perseus also.

Last edited:

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
Well there's lots of opportunity to get savings now even if you don't have older pledges at the ready. The bastards! This situation actually might promote me.

Edit: and yes I'm a hypocrite and melted my 125a and Thumbril to buy a carrack to Odyssey upgrade). Now let's see how to get them both...

1638208625604.png

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Sign me up for the first :)
I have only 1 CCU unfortunately 😢 personnal stock
bought in TEST here from Elmy last year, as those CCU do not exist anymore. So its personnal Hull-E :)

I should have specified the prices I mention in the previous post are for my personnal fleet building, sorry ^^

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
If you are both a retailer and a wholesaler, you would never let your distributors under cut your retail stores. Yeah sure you may let it slide for a period of time for marketing purposes, but sooner or later you're going to put the lid on it. You don't have a choice. It's like BestBuy distributing iPhones for less than the Apple stores.
tell that to homedepot or nvidea lol. litterally every flexvolt advantage tool at home depot was sold most likely to scalpers and nvidea?.....i dont need to say more haha.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Just a reminder before you push the buy button; You can't fly the thing right now, collect a few ccu's and get it at half price (paid mostly with store credits) next year.
Or get 2 for the price of 1. Sell one off and pay almost nothing for the other (if you don't want 2).
:like:True but I don't use the Carrack at all right now that I have the C2 and the Carrack is one of the loaners so for someone like me its an appealing option:o7:

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Don't have a long presence in SC but does the fact they have offered up optional paints mean its closer in the rotation to flyable?
Time for another beverage of the wifes making,..Burp! :drunk:

Forgot your password?