Nautilus brochure and related data

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
Release is "SOON", there was absolutely no mention of SQ42. Concepting the ship took place from February until June. It is about 90% complete as they are currently working on lighting passes inside the ship, which means its almost completely done according to the vehicle pipeline and its director.
Thanks! Someother mentioned about the contrary, but it could be a confusion with the mines. Anyway... good news we will see this ship soon :)

I might be alone in this, but I'm hoping that eventually, CIG will also create some sort of a stealthy mine that will be difficult even for a Terrapin or a Carrack to detect before they are detected by it, that's sole purpose would be to alert those that deployed it of movement in its area & if possible what it is that is moving or being detected. Basically an early warning system to extend the range for a base or fleet beyond the individual ship's / base's range without them.
My question about the presentation is simple, what part of it did you enjoy most?
Hmmm, the sentry ones have changeable components or not? maybe you could use stealth components in it?

But... supposedly mines would be hard to detect anyway unless you carry a ship with a good scanning suite.

I melted all but one ship on my melt list to upgrade my Corsair to the Nautilus.
So you melted your melted ships? ;-p

BTW, I got one warbond one... got crazy with the concept, special skin and so on... CRAZY!!!!

263th!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I recall that CIG committed some years ago to sensor buoys, and there was the question whether they could be stealth or not. I have to wonder whether the Nautilus can deploy them as well. I suspect they'd be smaller than S5 mines, and deployable by much smaller ships; but it would be cool if the Nautilus could stealthily deploy hundreds of bouys as well. Sensor buoys are again going to make huge changes in gameplay.

No one has said anything about the ventral weapons. It appears there are to be three, S3 missile racks with just 2 missiles each. Shame they didn't put twice that under there.

Given this thing is supposed to have lots of hull, it would seem to me it could make a decent ground assault ship. The design looks like advanced VTOL for hover, which is very surprising in a design for the mine laying task, but Aegis does always seem to favor aerodynamic designs that function well in atmo; so it's well to consider the Nautilus for the Close Air Support role. Could be this is the A-10 we've been waiting for--a true tank buster. Certainly if you can lock S3 missiles on a tank, this thing could have a use in that role.

Also given this is Aegis and carries S3 missiles, that means it can probably lob the Arrestor IIIs, which means it can disable ships from great distance, and apparently there is room aboard for lots of NPCs. You might be able to use this for a boarding ship.

Last edited:

Nightlane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2017
RSI Handle
Nightlane
I recall that CIG committed some years ago to sensor buoys, and there was the question whether they could be stealth or not. I have to wonder whether the Nautilus can deploy them as well. I suspect they'd be smaller than S5 mines, and deployable by much smaller ships; but it would be cool if the Nautilus could stealthily deploy hundreds of bouys as well. Sensor buoys are again going to make huge changes in gameplay.

No one has said anything about the ventral weapons. It appears there are to be three, S3 missile racks with just 2 missiles each. Shame they didn't put twice that under there.

Given this thing is supposed to have lots of hull, it would seem to me it could make a decent ground assault ship. The design looks like advanced VTOL for hover, which is very surprising in a design for the mine laying task, but Aegis does always seem to favor aerodynamic designs that function well in atmo; so it's well to consider the Nautilus for the Close Air Support role. Could be this is the A-10 we've been waiting for--a true tank buster. Certainly if you can lock S3 missiles on a tank, this thing could have a use in that role.

Also given this is Aegis and carries S3 missiles, that means it can probably lob the Arrestor IIIs, which means it can disable ships from great distance, and apparently there is room aboard for lots of NPCs. You might be able to use this for a boarding ship.
Not sure and I can not check it now, but I think the holoviewer shows a big missile turret with 24 missiles.

Please can anyone confirm it? (I am on vacations without a computer)

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus

It really only deals with mine laying and sweeping. Not really about bouys. It will not make a good ground assault ship as its the size of a Hammerhead and will handle just as shitty, especially in atmosphere. NOT a combat ship.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It really only deals with mine laying and sweeping. Not really about bouys. It will not make a good ground assault ship as its the size of a Hammerhead and will handle just as shitty, especially in atmosphere. NOT a combat ship.
If you drop a mine in atmosphere won't just it be a very unaerodynamic bomb? Or will they be designed for max damage in a Zero G vacuum and be crap in atmo?

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee

Pretty sure if you want close air support you are looking for the A2 or a fighter like the Super Hornet. There's a reason mine layers/sweepers/tenders aren't combat ships and are only armed for defense in the real world, you really wouldn't want a round making it through the hull and lighting off one of the mines onboard. And yes you could just not load mines and go out looking for a fight but then it's the equivalent mounting a .50 Cal on the cross bar a Jeep Wrangler and using it for convoy duty. Will it work? Kind of. Is there a better option? Absolutey.

Long story short, sure go ahead and use the mine layer as an anti-tank ship. It'll be most effective if you can point it directly at the tank as it's falling out of the sky when it runs out of gas.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Ok, I just had the best idea ever for this thing. Skee Ball. So depending on how the mines deploy you could do it on a planet or in space, you fly at the targets and drop a mine to see how many points you can get. Have siemthing like a Caterpillar for 10 points, Connie for 20, Cutlass for 30, Hornet for 40, and have a couple of Cyclones for the tiny little 50 point targets.

Edit: forgot to say skee ball is like Spanish fly for straight women. (if no one gets that both my inner and outer movie nerd will be very disappointed in all of you.)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I melted all but one ship on my melt list to upgrade my Corsair to the Nautilus.
She's a beauty for RR ops, depending on spacing of course. You'd be able to lay a harassment or protective minefield above/around your ops area, and sit that bad boy as over watch. I like it, but I dunno if I can justify melting any of my precious, small fleet for it.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Hey @Printimus , I have a potential Nautilus scenario question for you. I seem to recall seeing that it's not meant to use the mines too close to planets or moons because of the gravitational forces effecting them. This being said & remembering what CIG has shown about SQ42, do you think that having the drones place mines in areas of space similar to where they showed that disabled Starfarer would work? I'm thinking along the lines of using them placed around a semi-confined space with a bait ship making a distress call. This could potentially used to snare either ships looking to render aide or to pillage a damaged / stranded ship.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Hey @Printimus , I have a potential Nautilus scenario question for you. I seem to recall seeing that it's not meant to use the mines too close to planets or moons because of the gravitational forces effecting them. This being said & remembering what CIG has shown about SQ42, do you think that having the drones place mines in areas of space similar to where they showed that disabled Starfarer would work? I'm thinking along the lines of using them placed around a semi-confined space with a bait ship making a distress call. This could potentially used to snare either ships looking to render aide or to pillage a damaged / stranded ship.
Good question. You will definitely be able to use the drones to place or remove mines as you see fit. If I am remembering the footage from SQ42 you are referring to, there wasnt a giant planetary body nearby, but rather just large asteroids? But what the devs have told us, is that you "can" use the mines in an atmosphere, but they will fall to the ground.

When it comes to baiting a disabled ship, we will have to see just how smart (or dumb) they allow us to program these mines. From what we have been told thus far, the homing mines can be set to IFF (identify friend or foe) or to free for all for anything that gets close enough. That being said, you will want to lay the mines far enough away from your bait ship so as to not set the mines off accidentally via your bait ship's signature.

Hope this answered your question. We still gotta wait and see exactly how CIG pulls this one off!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My opinion --> I think this is going to be a really narrow role, "niche" ship, BUT, that it will be fun to crew and run, as you will need not only a pilot and turret gunners, but also people to man the scanners and run the drones either laying the mines or sweeping for mines. I'm pretty much sold on this ship. If all else fails, I can always upgrade it to a Polaris, or something similar.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
My opinion --> I think this is going to be a really narrow role, "niche" ship, BUT, that it will be fun to crew and run, as you will need not only a pilot and turret gunners, but also people to man the scanners and run the drones either laying the mines or sweeping for mines. I'm pretty much sold on this ship. If all else fails, I can always upgrade it to a Polaris, or something similar.
That's the spirit @Radegast74 ! Kick some mass ass in the Verse & collect the names of the ships you catch by surprise.

Reactions: Nightlane
Forgot your password?