New missiles

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Conclusion:
I'm going to be using the Firestorm Kinetics Thunderbolt 3 on my Vanguard in the future, the consistent long range is great for when you need to zoom out and let your shields recharge and I think it compliments the Vanguard's role perfectly, A rec costs don't really matter the higher price of entry isn't an issue yet and I think it's worth splashing out. Its worth noting that all size 3 missiles pack a punch, anyone in a ship smaller than a cutlass is sent into an uncontrollable spin after meeting any of these 3 fellows, giving you vital time to shoot them down while they are regaining control. The added lethality against smaller ships makes the switch from size 2 to 3 well worth it.
Great analysis! Would love to see the same for the S2 missiles. They are faster and if you can carry enough of them, they might at times be worth the space.

I would just like to note, the vast bulk of the damage from the Arrester III is supposed to be spike or distortion damage. They are not intended to do much physical harm. If you were hitting smallish targets with them and they did not go all stiff on you, could be the distortion damage mechanism is just not enabled yet. Anyone know?

Last edited:

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
I would just like to note, the vast bulk of the damage from the Arrester III is supposed to be spike or distortion damage. They are not intended to do much physical harm. If you were hitting smallish targets with them and they did not go all stiff on you, could be the distortion damage mechanism is just not enabled yet. Anyone know?
Distortion at the moment only affects Shields, so it doesn't yet drain the targets power plant etc. Essentially it's currently just worse than normal weaponry.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So I've had my play around, in order to reduce the variables I used a Vanguard warden with 424 racks for a total of 4 size 3 missiles. I played 9 rounds of pirate swarm with each of the 3 missile types and charted hit/miss/kill ratios as well as approximate lock time and range. I didn't fire upon enemies before or during the missile fire animation, so all results are missiles only.

Nova Pyrotecnica Viper 3:

Hits: 14
Kills: 2 (note kills are also hits and included are above, 1x M50, 1 x Sabre)
Miss: 3
Total shots: 17
Lock type: IR (thermal)
Lock time: ~3-4 seconds
Lock range: Highly variable based on the ship and their current heat output, Auroras needed to be within 250m to get a lock, while Cutlasses and Sabres could be locked at 2km plus!
Strike Missile

Opinion:
The cheapest of the size 3s and it shows, missed the most out of all the missiles (probably due to being a strike missile), killed the least and, depending on the target, needs you to be right up in peoples faces to get a lock. It has the shortest lock time, but given how you use it feels longer than the others as it will break more often. It seemed to do better against bigger ships. That being said I got the best action shot, and it does look cool with it's blue shell. Probably the most fitting to people who will be up in the enemies face dogfighting, will probably try it on my gladius.

Firestorm Kinetics Thunderbolt 3

Hits:14
Kills: 4 (1 gladius, 3 M50s)
Miss: 1 (hit a rock on the direct route to the target, barely worth counting as a miss)
Total shots: 15
Lock type: EM (detects target ships power)
Lock time: ~5-6 seconds
Lock range: Very consistent, this missile seemed to always be able to get a lock at 6.8K or less
Proximity Missile

Opinion:
At over 3 times the price of the Nova Pyrotecnica option, you really do get what you pay for here, The Thunderbolt will rip it's way through light fighters which makes it a great option for slower ships, it has a slow lock time so you wont be able to get many locks up close, but at 6.8km range you can easily get a lock in before you get close to engagement range. The thunderbolt feels like the sniper/boom and zoom option and I love it on my Vanguard

Firestorm Kinetics Arrester 3

Hits: 13
Kills: 6 ( 2 Auroras, 1 gladius, 3 M50s)
Miss: 1
Total shots: 14
Lock type: CS (locks onto the ship's cross section, i.e. should be good against bigger ships)
Lock time: ~6 seconds
Lock range: A little less consistent than the thunderbolt, but could still lock many ships at 6.8k, smaller ships like the m50 needed you to be at 2.5k or less
Proximity Missile

Opinion:
CS missiles should struggle to hit small ships, but all I saw was that it needed to be closer to get the lock, however with it's massive lock time trying to get the lock on a good m50 pilot at under 2km would be a struggle. Once you do though wave that ship goodbye. The Arrester didn't seem to hurt the larger ships as much though, cutlasses needed 2 missiles fired at them to get the to be heavily damaged, while for the Thunderbolt 1 was usually enough to send them spinning. However the numbers don't lie and the Arrester has the best kill ratio of all the missiles.

Conclusion:
I'm going to be using the Firestorm Kinetics Thunderbolt 3 on my Vanguard in the future, the consistent long range is great for when you need to zoom out and let your shields recharge and I think it compliments the Vanguard's role perfectly, A rec costs don't really matter the higher price of entry isn't an issue yet and I think it's worth splashing out. Its worth noting that all size 3 missiles pack a punch, anyone in a ship smaller than a cutlass is sent into an uncontrollable spin after meeting any of these 3 fellows, giving you vital time to shoot them down while they are regaining control. The added lethality against smaller ships makes the switch from size 2 to 3 well worth it.
Finally getting to test this . . .
6 months later. Haha.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You should try the S5 or S9 CS, even better, try to evade the S5 or S9 CS :grin:
You mentioned this once before, that the new torps are not just faster but near impossible to outmaneuver. They just keep coming back or some such?

I take it you don't pay for missiles yet? I saw a vid where someone was flying and picking them up in an arena, but in the PU we would pay for them?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
You mentioned this once before, that the new torps are not just faster but near impossible to outmaneuver. They just keep coming back or some such?

I take it you don't pay for missiles yet? I saw a vid where someone was flying and picking them up in an arena, but in the PU we would pay for them?
I have a Retaliator and a Gladiator. At some point I also noticed that the Gladiator has S4 missile mounts so I also rented a few (8) BEHRING MSD-414 "MARSDEN" MISSILE RACKs and 2 packs of TALON ASSAILANT IV S4 CS missiles, just to find out that the S4 missiles can't be mounted on the S4 missile racks. Another 8.200 REC down the drain.
Actually right now you can't use REC rented ships in PU, but you can use REC rented weapons in PU.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
An on topic reply from me (rare I know)...

I managed to avoid some big missiles recently simply by going flat-out and have found i prefer this to spamming Counter Measures (I only have 8 anyway). The smaller missiles are still nippy enough to catch me though, so...

Has anyone got a chart of missile speeds?

If I can, my aim is to get me 350's acceleration and top speed to a point to let me simply outrun the things, but I need to know what I am up against. If the fastest of fast missiles is faster than a laser bolt (about 1900m/s) I have no chance. My Boost speed is currently 810m/s so fully upgraded I can envision 1200m/s?

I want to make firing a missile at my ship a pointless thing to do :)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Use peas instead of paper wads. They fly faster and straighter. That's what I use and my "wingmen" can carry more peas than paper wads in their mouths.
I tried this but we only had a tin of mushy peas in the house.

It looks like I sneezed through a trumpet. :-/

Forgot your password?