Pimped your spaceship? Lets share information!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I haven't yet tested them in 2.4.1. Last I played with them, I think they were still quite broken. The range was really really short. Like under 1000 short. And I was a much worse pilot. I know that was only a couple months ago, but nonetheless. ;)

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
I'm currently running an Anvil Super Hornet as my primary dog fighter. I ended up ditching the wing mounted gimbals in favor of a pair of REC'd Mantis GT-220s. Swapped the Stalker IRs out for 8 Taskforce I's. And replaced the canard and ball turret guns with Omnisky III and VI, respectively.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
After a long break from the game, I've returned and tried out some new stuff. 2 mantises (mantisi?) on a loaner hornet with a pyro shotgun on the nose. The idea was to zoom in while chewing on them and then shotgun them to finish, but it did not work out like that very well.

The mantises eat through Vanduul quick but run out of ammo quick too. They were often running dry before the reload round.

By the time I got close enough to anything to use the pyro shotgun, I was more focused on not crashing into whatever I was targeting. Even when the shotgun got a kill, I usually crashed into the wreckage that was leftover. Also, it fires so slowly that you only really get one shot when your target is in front of you and in range. Might be more effective with 4 of them on a Sabre, but I haven't tried that and you'd still have the issue of crashing into the wreck.

The other ship I tried was the Gladius, which I haven't flown since the tutorial way back when. It's fun and fast, but is probably a bit too much zoom for me (still picking asteroid out of my teeth). I set it up with 2 fixed s2 tarantulas and the default scorpion on the nose. Worked pretty well but only really used the scorpion to plink while waiting for a missile lock. The s2 tarantulas worked great on Vanduul and other AI, but in the PU the lower velocity proved difficult on less predictable human players.

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
After a long break from the game, I've returned and tried out some new stuff. 2 mantises (mantisi?) on a loaner hornet with a pyro shotgun on the nose. The idea was to zoom in while chewing on them and then shotgun them to finish, but it did not work out like that very well.

The mantises eat through Vanduul quick but run out of ammo quick too. They were often running dry before the reload round.

By the time I got close enough to anything to use the pyro shotgun, I was more focused on not crashing into whatever I was targeting. Even when the shotgun got a kill, I usually crashed into the wreckage that was leftover. Also, it fires so slowly that you only really get one shot when your target is in front of you and in range. Might be more effective with 4 of them on a Sabre, but I haven't tried that and you'd still have the issue of crashing into the wreck.
I've had the same problem. The GT-220s chew through Vanduul like melted chocolate, but they run dry quick. That's why I've found it best to run a mixed energy/ballistic loadout. The energy gives you longevity, and the ballistics give you straight up kill power.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I was more focused on not crashing into whatever I was targeting. Even when the shotgun got a kill, I usually crashed into the wreckage that was leftover.
You can avoid crashing by engaging with speed and apply full side strafe when in medium firing range. That way you simply my a wide curve around your target allowing you to keep guns aimed at target but without crash danger.

Might be more effective with 4 of them on a Sabre, but I haven't tried that and you'd still have the issue of crashing into the wreck.
The Sabre isn't very effective at close range, the range where the Pyro gets effective. The Sabre is more effective at medium range, ripping through a target, select next, ripping. This way you don't lose time getting at close range and avoiding incoming fire. This is best done with 4 same weapons, That way you get concentrated fire.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I've had the same problem. The GT-220s chew through Vanduul like melted chocolate, but they run dry quick. That's why I've found it best to run a mixed energy/ballistic loadout. The energy gives you longevity, and the ballistics give you straight up kill power.
Mixed weapons divide your firing power, I have a 2 stage fire button. One firegroup will always miss when I use both with mixed guns.

The Razgriz

Vice Admiral
Jul 24, 2016
RSI Handle
The-Razgriz
Mixed weapons divide your firing power, I have a 2 stage fire button. One firegroup will always miss when I use both with mixed guns.
With the Super Hornet you can mount up to six guns, two in Group 1(the wings) and four in Group 2(canard and ball turrets). I only use Group 1(GT-220s) at close range, and Group 2(Omniskys) at medium range. The four turreted energy guns are more than adequate to deal with most targets.

Edit: I also just wanted to clarify @marcsand2, I'm not disagreeing with you. I made the mistake of mixing energy and ballistic weapons in the same fire group and you're right. One set always missed, unless you're at extreme close range or are shooting at a large target.

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I am running my Hornet that they've leant me (till my Reliant is flyable) with 3 x Freelancer guns on it and it wrecks. Love it. I fly all 3 fixed weapons on fire group1. It make stuff go boom boom quite quick. I killed a player who was EVAing around karreah causing mischief to moonshiner and his friends - I flew in, few booms with the triple turrantula, bye bye hiding sniper :D one happy moonshiner :D

When my reliant is flyable in 2.5 I am really going to miss the hornet!!!!

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
With the Super Hornet you can mount up to six guns, two in Group 1(the wings) and four in Group 2(canard and ball turrets). I only use Group 1(GT-220s) at close range, and Group 2(Omniskys) at medium range. The four turreted energy guns are more than adequate to deal with most targets.

Edit: I also just wanted to clarify @marcsand2, I'm not disagreeing with you. I made the mistake of mixing energy and ballistic weapons in the same fire group and you're right. One set always missed, unless you're at extreme close range or are shooting at a large target.
I use a dual stage trigger. first FG1, then FG1+2. It is a matter of how you fight and in which fighter.

There are 3 setups:
1st: FG1 energy weapons, FG2 close range gatling guns.
On the Avenger I really don't have a choice, so I learned to use 2x CF117 at the wings as FG1 and the Tigerstreik under the nose as FG2 to finish off targets quickly at close range. With the Gladius I also can use 2x CF117 at the wings and 1x CF117 at the nose, but after getting used fighting with the Avenger, I prefer the Mantis. Same goes for the 325, 350 and Vanguard.

2nd: FG1 + FG2 energy weapons.
On the Hornet and Sabre I first start to tickle my target with FG1, when close enough FG1 + FG2. Concentrated fire blows the hell out of targets. The Vanguard is the best example of concentrated fire. 4x S2 nose mount rip through targets as a hot knife through butter. The Cutlass and Gladiator also go with this setup, although the Cutlass could also be use the 1st setup.

3rd: FG1 only.
The Delta and the Freelancer only use 1 firegroup

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I use a dual stage trigger. first FG1, then FG1+2. It is a matter of how you fight and in which fighter.
I like the idea of 4 guns all the same plus missiles. You can then set the second stage for the missiles.

Has anyone loaded two different kinds of missiles onto one fighter and how did that go? Is it that you have to load each launcher with all the same, or both launchers if they're the same have to be loaded the same? I seldom see much explanation of missile selection. Is there any way to load missiles facing backward with external launch systems? That would seem to me very handy for keeping pursuers at bay. I'd love to do that with the Reliant but this are all internal and I don't think they'll let us tweak our own rides site to the point of surgery.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I like the idea of 4 guns all the same
I liked it, because I thought it'll be fun to blast the opponents outta space with one or two death blasts. The truth is: four guns of the same type are overheating way too fast plus you are loosing a hell of fighting flexibility, be it in questions of fighting range (long/medium/short) or in questions of kind of damage. In the meantime I prefer two variants of guns, usually one energy and one ballistic cannon. While the energy cannons for medium range fights are cooling down, I'm going into close encounter, doing short controlled bursts with the ballistics, for then boosting away and going into medium range fighting again. That gives the fight a good agile component, too :D

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I like the idea of 4 guns all the same plus missiles. You can then set the second stage for the missiles.

Has anyone loaded two different kinds of missiles onto one fighter and how did that go? Is it that you have to load each launcher with all the same, or both launchers if they're the same have to be loaded the same? I seldom see much explanation of missile selection. Is there any way to load missiles facing backward with external launch systems? That would seem to me very handy for keeping pursuers at bay. I'd love to do that with the Reliant but this are all internal and I don't think they'll let us tweak our own rides site to the point of surgery.
I loaded mixed missiles multiple times, but there wasn't really a choice or.... I didn't took the time to look for a choice. It starts with some missiles, eventually switching to the other type. I believe the order is connected to the missile racks.
4 guns only works if your target is flying steady and you have a solid aim or if your guns won't heat up like the 2xM3A + 2xCF117 on the delta or the 4xS2 on the Vanguard.
Otherwise I prefer 2 firegroups. Sabre start to tickle from medium range with 2, add the other 2 at good shot. The CF227 heats up, so if you start with 2 and continue with 4, then you still have 2 left when the first 2 get overheated. The Cutlass the same, start with 1, continue with 3 and 2 left if the first gets overheated.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker

Gladius has 2 different missile types default and way back I tried out the Gladiator. No current system I know of for selecting which missile you fire, so the missile you get from your selection is semi random. Then you have 2 different lock-on times, 2 different tracking modes, 2 different missile speeds, et cetera, and you don't know which one you're going to get next.
Not a big deal with Gladius, because you only have two odd types by default. The Gladiator, however, when the torpedo lock on times and missile speeds are super-duper slow, it becomes a bit of an issue.
With a missile selector, a mixed missile load out would be great, especially with something like the Gladiator's torpedoes to save them for big targets. Also would like to see a turret gunner in charge of getting locks, especially if your idea of reverse missiles gets in.

I liked it, because I thought it'll be fun to blast the opponents outta space with one or two death blasts. The truth is: four guns of the same type are overheating way too fast plus you are loosing a hell of fighting flexibility, be it in questions of fighting range (long/medium/short) or in questions of kind of damage. In the meantime I prefer two variants of guns, usually one energy and one ballistic cannon. While the energy cannons for medium range fights are cooling down, I'm going into close encounter, doing short controlled bursts with the ballistics, for then boosting away and going into medium range fighting again. That gives the fight a good agile component, too :D
Seems most ships are designed with mixed guns in mind, still I've had most luck with using all the same type. I liked plinking with a small gimballed gun while waiting for a missile to lock on, but it's effect was mediocre.

Reactions: AstroSam

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
so the missile you get from your selection is semi random. Then you have 2 different lock-on times, 2 different tracking modes, 2 different missile speeds, et cetera, and you don't know which one you're going to get next.
There is a order, when flying the Freelancer I had allot of missiles, always first the fast locking IR missiles were used, after that the slower locking but better hitting EM missiles were used. I never tried to switch the racks from hardpoint so I'm not sure if it is the missile type or the hardpoint which determines the order. I will try that out later. You just gave me a task ;)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
There is a order, when flying the Freelancer I had allot of missiles, always first the fast locking IR missiles were used, after that the slower locking but better hitting EM missiles were used. I never tried to switch the racks from hardpoint so I'm not sure if it is the missile type or the hardpoint which determines the order. I will try that out later. You just gave me a task ;)
Default missile set ups were predictable. I suspect when you take them off and replace them, the predictable order goes out of whack. I have not confirmed this, so more homework for you! (smiley face!)

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
[CONFIRMED]
Default missile set ups were predictable. I suspect when you take them off and replace them, the predictable order goes out of whack. I have not confirmed this, so more homework for you! (smiley face!)
The missiles really look like they go out randomly, but first the Freelancers loadout :D
1.1. Strikeforce II; CS; FaF; strike
2.1. Dominator II; IR; TL; strike
1.2. Rattler II; IR; TL; cluster
2.2. Tempest II; CS; TL; proximity
3. Spark I; X; DF; proximity
4. Ignite II; IR; FaF; strike
5. Arrester III; CS; TL; proximity (shows on HUD as IR???)
6. Marksman I; EM; FaF; proximity

The one I don't own :(
- Taskforce I; DF; TL; strike
(I peeked at Bailors spreadsheets :p)
(this I just made up: IR=Infra-red; EM=Electromagnetic; CS=Cross-Section; DF=Dumb-Fire; FaF=Fire and Forget; TL=Target Lead)

It almost looks like the missiles get selected automatically based on the hit chances and distance and target signature and locking speed. I did 6 full loads. It went from 1. to 6. but not really consistent, like the missile system had its preference.
On normal runs I used allot of Tempest (until my stock was gone) and filled up with Ignite. The faster locking Ignite always is the first choice. When all were gone the slower locking Tempest is used.

The only way to select your missiles right now is to disable the ones you want to save for later in HUD weapon management.

@Beerjerker was that a satisfying answer? :p:p:p Homework done!!!

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
I usually use Tarantulas all around on my Sabre, with Rattlers. They work for me at medium range and in. Sometimes I'll use a pair Mantis's (Manti??), but they tend to run dry for me. I guess I'm a little trigger happy with them. Still trying to figure out Pyro's range for me. I know they are close in kill shots, but I still need to spend more time with them to get comfortable. I guess it's what each of us feel most comfortable with.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
[CONFIRMED]

The missiles really look like they go out randomly, but first the Freelancers loadout :D

(this I just made up: IR=Infra-red; EM=Electromagnetic; CS=Cross-Section; DF=Dumb-Fire; FaF=Fire and Forget; TL=Target Lead)

It almost looks like the missiles get selected automatically based on the hit chances and distance and target signature and locking speed. I did 6 full loads. It went from 1. to 6. but not really consistent, like the missile system had its preference.
On normal runs I used allot of Tempest (until my stock was gone) and filled up with Ignite. The faster locking Ignite always is the first choice. When all were gone the slower locking Tempest is used.

The only way to select your missiles right now is to disable the ones you want to save for later in HUD weapon management.

Stole these from teacher. You earned it!
6Tr5bqgkc.jpg

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
[CONFIRMED]

No spike missiles in service yet?

Forgot your password?