Polaris $750

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Do you mean S5 Turrets = 1 Turret with S5 Weapons or how exactly do you define it?
S5 manned turrets are what is on the Idris. IIUC, they allow a pair of S4 weapons, such as the Omni XII, or a single S5 weapon such as the Behring M7A. If you can put a pair of the big Omni's on each of four mounts, this thing will need an entire wing of Vanguard to take and board which would require probably 40% more players than the Polaris. Comparing numbers of players in a conflict is a good way to gauge combat effectiveness. If like a StarG it can be taken with just three Vanguard, it would not be a useful ship, IMHO; since it will probably require a crew of 7 or so to be effective.

Reactions: Blind Owl

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
I assume this sale will be ongoing all week right?
It's fair to assume, but I wouldn't be counting on it. After all, it's the most expensive non-limited Ship we've seen so far.

It's not single use. It is the ship meant to dominate every other ship in the game except the larger warships. It has lots of uses. Corvettes have always been the ship of choice for pirates and governments doing anti-smuggling, mine laying, anti-submarine work, etc. As said, for the modern take, see the USS Independence class. They have lots of uses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence-class_littoral_combat_ship
I think you're reading WAY too much into real references... CIG's classifications have next to nothing to do with reality.

S5 manned turrets are what is on the Idris. IIUC, they allow a pair of S4 weapons, such as the Omni XII, or a single S5 weapon such as the Behring M7A. If you can put a pair of the big Omni's on each of four mounts, this thing will need an entire wing of Vanguard to take and board which would require probably 40% more players than the Polaris. Comparing numbers of players in a conflict is a good way to gauge combat effectiveness. If like a StarG it can be taken with just three Vanguard, it would not be a useful ship, IMHO; since it will probably require a crew of 7 or so to be effective.
I might be off somewhat, but... S4 Weapons would be smaller than I'd have expected. But then again, I guess it would look weird to have plenty large turrets on a 110-120m Ship.

The Chaos Pope

Grand Admiral
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
The_Chaos_Pope
My back of the napkin math tells me I have over $600 in ships if I omit the base package, M50 and 890Jump. I'll want to read over the specs first, but making this change would mean that half of my fleet would now be multicrew.

I think I'll need to look over the specs to make a final decision. If this is another quantity limited capitol ship, I'll probably end up passing. I can probably scrape up cash for the rest if I decided to pull the trigger.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I stick with my singel/dual seater fleet
If I had $750 in ships, I would melt them all, buy the Polaris, melt that and then buy back what I had. This way I always have the option of getting a vette with LTI.
You can only buy back a ship with store credits one time every 3 months. (unless you are a concierge???)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So how many people will regret their decision when they realize how many crew members it is likely to need?
You do well to point out what many people ignore when they buy large multi-crew ships. Even boats like the StarG need sufficient crew or they are just flying targets.

The Redeemer requires 5 and the Idris 10, so it is a fair bet the Polaris will need about 7. I think you have much better odds of pulling together a tight team of 10 or so players 7 of which meet on any given night, than trying to man an Idris, so if what you're looking for is a combat ship that a tight group can fly daily, this may be the perfect size.

By way of comparison, a Hull C only needs 3 crew. The Crucible needs 4. The Carrack, Reclaimer and Redeemer need 5. The Star and StarG need 7. Surprising that the tanker needs about as many people as a Corvette!

I was scanning the boards some weeks ago, counting the numbers of folks interested in privateering, and I came up with more than 30 names. That doesn't include those who have an interest, but never mentioned it. Out of 30 people, we might get 10 or 12 in the same time zone. We would probably not get the 15 or so needed for an Idris.

I am not saying I'm sold on the Polaris, but I adore the play available to that kind of ship. I am still leaning toward building a strike wing of Vanguard, but the possibilities with the Polaris have me excited enough to pee myself. Let it please have big turrets.

Speedkills

Admiral
Oct 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Speedkills
You can only buy back a ship with store credits one time every 3 months. (unless you are a concierge???)
I'm not a Concierge, which I believe is $1000 in purchases from CIG directly. I would imagine someone who has $750 to melt probably has the level and then some. If I'm not mistaken, you can buy back using cash at any time, but you're probably right - one every three months on store credit. Please correct if I got this wrong, as my Melt Game is weak.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
If I had $750 in ships, I would melt them all, buy the Polaris, melt that and then buy back what I had. This way I always have the option of getting a vette with LTI.
Ow, I just found another restriction, buy back only works with items that are not:
- limited
- a special discount offer
- contain physical items
The Polaris is limited. That means you only can buy it back when it is in sale again. I'm also still learning ;)

Forgot your password?