Polaris $750

Speedkills

Admiral
Oct 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Speedkills
There goes my theory then. I figured if you had a Redeemer, Vanguard, and Blade, you could exchange them for store credit (melt) then buy the Polaris with the credit, and then melt the Polaris and have that in your back pocket, and buy back the original three ships. I'm dizzy now lol.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Yeah, I was considering this option also, a Retaliator, a Warden and an Aquila for a buyback Polaris, buyback the Warden after melting the Polaris, buyback an Aurora LTI with cash to CCU it to the Aquila and wait for the Retaliator when the next buyback token is available, but the necessary crew to operate a Polaris scared me off :D

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
The Polaris is NOT Limited.

It's limited in the sense that it's only on sale for a week(ish) and then it won't come back for a good long while. It's not # limited like the Idris and Javelin were (and thank GOD for that, those sales were always clusterfucks) but it's limited in the same way that the Super Hornet, Sabre, Retaliator, Caterpillar, etc etc etc are.

Get it that week or be prepared to wait, but at least it's not the F5 refresh game.

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Is it true that a turret can be automated with a computer module .....but only with a significant downgrade in weapon size? Or did I hear wrong?
I think there have been plenty suggestions about it, but AFAIK CR wants large Ships to be a Team-Effort.

The "Auto-Turrets" we have confirmed are the Class 9 Point Defence ones, which are supposed to take down Missiles.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I'd laugh my butt off if the thing turns out to be roughly as strong as a 890 Jump after all the hype in the Forums.^^
That actually wouldn't surprise me at all really. They can't make it as powerful as the Idris. If you take away the rail gun, it actually doesn't leave a whole lot of room between the 890 and the Idris for the Polaris to sit in. So yea. I can see that happening actually. Then again, with the amount of hype on the forums over at RSI, there will be hate threads all over the place no matter how nice it is. If they make it too strong, it will be "CIG is P2W!" threads. If they make it too weak, it will be "CIG has gotten greedy and is overcharging!" followed by "CIG is desperate for money so they must be about to be bankrupt!".

No matter what they do, someone is going to be pissed. Time to stock up on the popcorn and rum...

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
as a relative new Star Citizen i'm just curious how much money will be flushed into CIG pockets with this sale
right now we are close to 125Mio ( Funds Raised 124,975,191 $) with a strong damped curve in new investments. Like everyone is holding their breath, keeping credit card and paypal account ready to invest money.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
According to them they make more money out of smaller more affordable ships, and $750 is among the most expensive offered.

The 890j is meant to be full of top of the line equipment i.e. a super yacht so I expect a couple of extra turrets on the Polaris and that's about it.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker

Overall looks pretty cool, Tali owners gettin mad salty. IDK if I'm sold, I was kind of hoping for a least a single big gun for giant dakka. Seems a tad overpriced tbh.

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
Overall looks pretty cool, Tali owners gettin mad salty. IDK if I'm sold, I was kind of hoping for a least a single big gun for giant dakka. Seems a tad overpriced tbh.
Looking at the RSI Forums, everyone gets salty - as usual.

It's hard to give you advice with Ships, since you've got a weird taste... but I think it's more of a org ship than one for a person to own.

Org wise you'd see it as a upside to have people working together in it, but for someone personally, I'd say it's too much of a logistic pain.

Reactions: Bruttle

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Looking at the RSI Forums, everyone gets salty - as usual.
I was just over there looking at some of the threads over there. I mean, they have some really good points. My whole issue (and it gets worse the more I look at it) is the design decisions. It just feels... thrown together, like they just scribbled a concept on a napkin and tossed it to the public.

With some of the fanwork I have seen both here and on the RSI forums, I feel a half dozen citizens could come up with better in a single day of brainstorming. It just feels so uninspired. I don't know. Maybe they have run out of space mojo. Maybe my taste in ships are all wrong. However, I look at the other ships that CIG has put out, then look back at the polaris, it just doesn't seem to have the same passion.

Which is what bothers me the most, I guess. I want to see ships with a purpose, not just thrown together for income. 28 torpedoes? What do they expect to need 28 torpedoes for? I know they are looking at increasing the instance cap, but even at 100 players per instance what are you going to ever need 28 of them for? It makes me think they threw them in there just to one-up the Tali and not for any actual use.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Hm, now that we can take a first glimpse I have to say that the exterior design doesn't convince me (like a pregnant Tally). The Polaris looks pretty uninspired and I would NOW vote for keeping the Redeemer because she has a more characteristic design. =/

I_MIKE_I

Space Marshal
May 7, 2016
RSI Handle
I_MIKE_I
I was just over there looking at some of the threads over there. I mean, they have some really good points. My whole issue (and it gets worse the more I look at it) is the design decisions. It just feels... thrown together, like they just scribbled a concept on a napkin and tossed it to the public.

With some of the fanwork I have seen both here and on the RSI forums, I feel a half dozen citizens could come up with better in a single day of brainstorming. It just feels so uninspired. I don't know. Maybe they have run out of space mojo. Maybe my taste in ships are all wrong. However, I look at the other ships that CIG has put out, then look back at the polaris, it just doesn't seem to have the same passion.

Which is what bothers me the most, I guess. I want to see ships with a purpose, not just thrown together for income. 28 torpedoes? What do they expect to need 28 torpedoes for? I know they are looking at increasing the instance cap, but even at 100 players per instance what are you going to ever need 28 of them for? It makes me think they threw them in there just to one-up the Tali and not for any actual use.
Yeah.. I mentioned it on the RSI forums as well, the Design looks more like a Designer making something to look somewhat good, rather than a purpose-build military vessel.

I'm no fan of torpedos anyway, so I won't comment on them too much... what I really find stupid is the way turrets are placed on nearly any Ship.

Also... I can't shake the feeling that it grew in size because someone just threw a Hangar after it was supposed to be finished, just so they could charge another 250$.

And what in the world is one supposed to imagine under "Light Armor" ?

Hm, now that we can take a first glimpse I have to say that the exterior design doesn't convince me (like a pregnant Tally). The Polaris looks pretty uninspired and I would NOW vote for keeping the Redeemer because she has a more characteristic design. =/
Hm... I think one has to see a org ship with different eyes than a ship one would put in his own hangar.

For the Org, I think the Crew requirement is a plus, since people would work together on it... think of it as some kind of bonding.

For one alone tough, it's just a pain to get everything to work.

Forgot your password?